Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pardini SP Bullseye vs Nelson Conversion

+6
joy2shoot
JayhawkNavy02
Magload
mspingeld
Al
estuck
10 posters

Go down

Pardini SP Bullseye vs Nelson Conversion Empty Pardini SP Bullseye vs Nelson Conversion

Post by estuck 2/17/2017, 1:14 pm

I am currently shooting a Pardini SP with Aimpoint Micro dot and Dick Horton 1911 angle grips.. This is a fine pistol with a great trigger and very reliable. However I have very large hands, and it seems I have always been fighting for that consistent comfortable grip.. However my David Sams wadgun with long trigger just seems "natural".. I am considering a Nelson Conversion on a dedicated lower, probably built by a bullseye gunsmith with trigger at #2 to #2.5. I have very little experience with the Nelson. Does anyone have thoughts or advice on the Nelson.. Can I expect the same accuracy and reliability as the Pardini?Thanks for your thoughts.

estuck

Back to top Go down

Pardini SP Bullseye vs Nelson Conversion Empty Re: Pardini SP Bullseye vs Nelson Conversion

Post by Al 2/17/2017, 2:05 pm

I'm fairly new to my Nelson, but have nearly 15 years with 2 Marvel Unit 1's. 

When I Ransom tested the Nelson it gave me 1 1/16" 10 shot groups with my current lot of CCI SV.  Doubtless it would do better with Tenex, or Lapua.  But as most of my shooting is with CCI, it held as good as my Marvels did, allowing for slight variations in different lots.

I have no regrets with my purchase.
Allen

Al

Back to top Go down

Pardini SP Bullseye vs Nelson Conversion Empty Re: Pardini SP Bullseye vs Nelson Conversion

Post by mspingeld 2/17/2017, 2:18 pm

Some of the best shooters use conversions, some use Euro guns like Pardini. Both can do the job. If you're more comfortable with the 1911 format, you'll be in good company in the high master section of the line at Camp Perry.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 2/17/2017, 3:36 pm

Yes I have advice.  If you order one be ready for a long wait.  I been waiting 6 weeks and probably have 3 to 4 more to wait.  I love shooting 1911s so I am looking forward to this conversion.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 2/17/2017, 5:08 pm

I had Dave build my wad and 22 conversion.  Couldn't be happier.
I wouldn't say its better than a high end European pistol, but its nice to have the same pistol for Rimfire, CF and 45

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02 on 2/17/2017, 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot 2/17/2017, 9:27 pm

My best slow fire score in a 2700 sanctioned match was with a conversion unit on a 1911 frame (100-3x).  My second best slow fire score in a 2700 sanctioned match was with a Pardini SPBE (99-3x).

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 2/17/2017, 9:52 pm

I think slabs of a 1911 tend to fit most shooters very well. Ergo grips seem to require a lot of fiddling to fit perfect

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans 2/17/2017, 10:58 pm

Accuracy would be the same (maybe slight edge to Pardini). What the Pardini has that the Nelson doesn't is adjustability. Adjusting position of trigger, first and second stage pull weights, etc. Ergonomic grips that fit can be great, but some prefer slabs.

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR 2/18/2017, 7:14 am

Give the conversion a try. You can always use another pistol. If it don't work for you, it will be easy to sell. 

I'm eleven weeks out on an order for a Nelson so I can't say much about them yet. I've had a Marvel for several years. Great conversion! I've shot mostly Euro guns in competition but am considering changing over as part of a program to learn to shoot the 45 well. Definitely my weak spot!

Jim

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by estuck 2/18/2017, 7:56 am

Good advice. Think I will place my order.  Is it necessary to contact them to have the conversion set up for the ammo you want to shoot.  I shoot Eley Target or Club and have good results.

estuck

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR 2/18/2017, 8:42 am

I've not heard anything about set up being required  for any particular ammo. You're shooting the good stuff anyway so probably use the eight lb. spring and you'll be good to go.

The Marvel worked best with a high mag catch but I understand this isn't necessary with a Nelson.

Jim

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by bob finger 2/19/2017, 6:32 am

Larry Nelson is 1. a nice guy to chat with; 1. knows his product better than anyone; 3. is willing to share his knowledge.  Give Larry a call and ask him about and "set up" you may wish to consider.  He will steer you in the right direction and you will hang up the phone knowing you talked with a friend.  The rest of us are giving mostly opinions.   bob

bob finger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down