Poor Experience With UltraDot Customer Service

Go down

Poor Experience With UltraDot Customer Service

Post by zanemoseley on 3/17/2017, 5:44 pm

I'm on my 3rd Matchdot 2 and had an issue with the brand new 3rd dot. Here's the review I'm posting on Amazon and Optics Planet. I really appreciate the many firearms companies that go above and beyond so that makes it equally as frustrating when I have a poor experience. 

"This is my 3rd MatchDot 2 red dot, in general they are great dots for bullseye competition shooting although they have a few quirks.

I just received the 3rd dot and seemed to function properly. I took 15 minutes or so getting it properly mounted and torqued to my new Volquartsen Olympic pistol. So far so good. Now for the problem...

The MatchDot 2 utilizes 2 different thread sizes on the extensions for some reason. There is a small trim ring attached from the factory, the polarizing filter will screw directly into this however to install the sun shade you must remove the ring and directly install the shade. If you want to install the shade and the polarizing filter you must remove the trim ring, install the shade, then install the trim ring on the shade, then install the polarizing filter. If it sounds over complicated and unnecessary that's because it is, they should have used 1 threading for everything. These things are supposedly made in Japan, I figured they would know better.

So I go to remove the trim ring so I can install the shade to match my other .22 match pistol. I'm 34 years old, 6'/210 and reasonably fit and it wouldn't budge. I wasn't about to go through the hassle of removing the dot and doing a return just for this, after all this is a brand new pistol I was dying to shoot. So I wrapped the trim ring in electric tape and very gently put a pair of large diameter vise grips on the ring to see if it would break loose, no luck and I managed to go through the tape a bit and scratch the anodizing. At this point I'm getting pissed, after all this trim ring should have never been necessary if they used the same thread pitch throughout and there was no reason for it to be this tight from the factory. Now I wrap the ring with a rubber band to try the vise grips again, again I'm unsuccessful and scratch the ring ever further. At this point I know I'll need a new trim ring so take the vise grips straight to the ring, STILL no luck. At this point the thin aluminum ring is starting to deform. At this point I'm furious, I knew if I stopped I wouldn't sleep well so I decided to give it ONE last shot. It FINALLY broke loose, and unscrewed rather difficult after the abuse I had to give it to remove. Luckily the main body of the red dot was unharmed, I tested by screwing on the sun shade.

So I email Ultradot USA to complain and ask for a new trim ring. I've had great luck with most companies in the firearms industry, most notably Hornady, RCBS, Vortex even small operations like Nelson Custom. So I expected a brief apology for the difficulties and a new trim ring in the mail, heck maybe even a freebie for the hardship with a brand new product.

What I received instead (6 days later I might add) is a letter informing me that it was my fault the trim ring was damaged however I could easily PURCHASE one for $6 from their site. Apparently it was my fault because I should have uninstalled the dot which took me 15 minutes to install in order to get the ring off. Yeah that makes about as much sense as them using 2 different thread pitches. Why should I be able to remove the trim ring with the dot installed??

So guess I'll be buying a ring for $6 despite my better judgment. I'm glad they don't consider keeping a repeat customer worth $6, heck the part probably cost them $2. I could have dropped a Vortex scope off my roof and sent it in with no questions asked. One thing is for sure, an unhappy customer spreading their crap experience will cost them far more than $6 in the long run.

Can you tell I'm upset with Ultradot.... Will I ever buy something else from them? Maybe.. after all I've got 3 of my match pistols already set up with them. If I were starting from scratch I would find a company that values their customer too much to point fingers and nickel and dime them."

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Re: Poor Experience With UltraDot Customer Service

Post by messenger on 3/17/2017, 6:40 pm

I vote with my wallet. At one time I had 6 ultradots. Now I have one which is on a pistol I am trying to sell. Because of my experience with their customer service I will never buy another product from them. To sum it up they are a dollar waiting on a dime. YMMV.

Bill
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload on 3/17/2017, 7:11 pm

My understanding that is a tube extention for if your mounts have to be farther apart.   I don't like the filter at all.  I own 3 of them and the only proplem I have is the elevation adjustment slipping when turned and the screw is tight.  If I remember to push down it clicks.  Don
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet on 3/17/2017, 8:55 pm

They do have bad customer service. I bought an ultra dot  that arrived with mismatched mounting rings. 1 black, 1 silver. They wanted to charge me for another! Larry's gave me a set at Perry....
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall on 3/18/2017, 11:01 am

Just a note for future removals of stubborn tubes and trim rings from scopes:  (I realize, it's too late for this instance and am not trying to cause additional anger, just trying to provide some thoughts for readers who may come across the same troubles.)

Use a spare mounting ring around the stuck item.  If you're removing the trim ring make sure the tube is secured by something other than the body.  The tube is screwed into the body and can easily come apart there.  Also, if mounted, make sure the mount isn't so close to the work that it clamps the item.  When you clamp a tube, it exerts pressure for a little ways fore and aft.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H on 3/18/2017, 2:25 pm

Yup.  Pliers and mount rings can easily egg shape the tube.  Egg shape things don't like to turn in round holes.  Remove the mount rings.  Grab the trim ring at one spot and crank it around.
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Remove ring

Post by Magnusbullets on 3/19/2017, 6:09 pm

Use a heat gun, lightly warm the tube at the threads. Expands just enough to turn out easily. Done it several times.

Magnusbullets

http://www.magnusbullets.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis on 3/19/2017, 6:28 pm

To prevent galling put a drop of oil on the threads.,
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 on 3/19/2017, 6:32 pm

jmdavis wrote:To prevent galling put a drop of oil on the threads.,

+1... I saw that right away when screwing on the extension.
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum