Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Range today

5 posters

Go down

Range today Empty Range today

Post by Paper-Puncher 3/18/2012, 9:23 pm

Well I shot my firist NMC for score today with the .45 ..up untill now Ive pretty much just been shooting slow fire and alittle timed ..But today I wanted to see what I could do putting it all together.....264-5x was the total.....Slow fire was 86-1x ,Timed was a 95-3x and Rapid was a 83-1x....Not great but I'm pretty pleased with it for my first attempt at all 3 stages...Slow fire was alittle lower than normal by 2-4pts and I was pleased with the timed score....Rapid was tuff I needed the whole 10secs and was rushing to get it done even at that....but I did better than I expected so cant complain.....hell I shot the .45 better than the .22 today...which I never figure that one out....I was useing the 3.5 BE load with a 200gr Penn bullet gun ran fine but the 12# spring is right on the egde....but only had issues on the last shots of timed and rapid so I think it may be some limp wristing during the sustained fire as ejection was fine on slow fire..The .22 today was not good...252 which has to be the worst Ive shot since starting

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Range today Empty Re: Range today

Post by SMBeyer 3/18/2012, 9:52 pm

Keith,

Don't worry about the score. You have good days and you have not so good days. The important thing is not to dwell on it. You learned something today however hard it might be to find but you did. Find the positive and forget the rest. Tomorrow is another day. And yes the .45 rapid is a challenge but you will get the hang of it. 45 rapid is the thing I need the most work on but I shot some Saturday and fired a 191 and was very pleased with myself. No 8's but one was just barely a 9 and that was very good for me. This was outdoors and am really looking forward to getting outside and away from that 50' target! Getting close 3 more league nights and the State 1800 and then it's nice big forgiving targets till November.

By the way was your slow at 50yds and what did you think?

And I thought they were boolits.

Scott

Last edited by SMBeyer on 3/18/2012, 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : trying to get emoticons to work)
SMBeyer
SMBeyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher 3/18/2012, 10:16 pm

Scott,

My slow was at 25yds..I wanted to go to the outdoor range today but after calling them they said that they where packed so I just went to my normal location and shoot indoors....The outdoor range I sometimes go to isnt any fun when its busy...Its basicly a big shelter type structer with no lane divders....last time I was there I was shooting some 50yds with my rimfires and is was crowded with rifle shooters ..kinda erratating to have some guy next to you with a AR and his cases are falling all aroung you (and hitting you) as your trying to shoot...seems like alot of thise guys have a miision in life to see have fast they can run thru ammo....Im gonna try and find some private property to shoot outside at and just forgo that whole mess....I have been doing all my .45 @ 25yds and all my .22 is 50ft...I like those little targets with the rimfires they just go good together....I have shot some 50ft with the .45 but I prefer the 25yd distance....But on a side note I plan on takeing friday off from work for my 26th anniversary...My wife has to work during the day so maybe I can hit the outdoor range as soon as they open friday morning ...I work 2nd so I'll have the day to myself and the evening with her....If all goes well it should be a good day shootin in the mornin and on the HArley with the wife for dinner and the club on a Friday night then a 3 day wkend something that doesnt happen very often....

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Lang 3/18/2012, 10:33 pm

.45 RF is why we shoot. The rest is just practice. Cool
Larry Lang
Larry Lang

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher 3/18/2012, 11:04 pm

Larry Lang wrote:.45 RF is why we shoot. The rest is just practice. Cool

Well I got alot of practice to do then.....I really was Hopeing Laughing to be able to bring home a clean timed fire target to hang over the loading bench.....Not this time...but I'll get there

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Lang 3/18/2012, 11:23 pm

Paper-Puncher wrote:I really was Hoping Laughing to be able to bring home a clean timed fire target to hang over the loading bench.....

I know what you mean. Don't beat yourself up. Hang a few 97s. I do.

Range today 45target
Larry Lang
Larry Lang

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B 3/19/2012, 11:52 am

Yeah, but that's a SF target! Nice.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces 3/19/2012, 8:23 pm

I too have had days when I shot better with my 1911 than my Ruger MK II. You are on the right track with the loads and spring for your 1911. As for me I too use Penn's 200 gr LSWC match grade bullets, but I'm using 3.7 gr of N310 and a 10# spring.

Just finished doing a trigger job on one of my Ruger MK II's and did a quick trip to the range. It was well worth it as all the gritty-ness of the sear was removed. I also removed the lateral slop in the trigger. Another advantage of doing my own trigger work is it forced me to completely disassemble and re-assemble a MK II multiple times. Regardless of what you might hear, after 8-9 times it isn't all that difficult.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher 3/21/2012, 12:01 am

Aces,

Ive done both my MKIII triggers...I did use Volquartzen parts but I polished all the internals and changed the sear and trigger reset springs...I aslo drilled my factory trigger on one of my mkIII's for over travel and stop screws.....I think I like the VQ trigger bow better....As far as your N310 load ...Ive never try that powder....its supposed to best the best from what Ive read....I like BE for how it meters and shoots....but clays is much cleaner and shoots just as well in my gun...as my skills progress I will move from the 3.5BE load to the 3.6 clays load and once I can hold and recover for rapid fire I will just use 1 load for everything...I can shoot 3.8 Clays or BE fine for slow fire but I find I need a light load for rapid mostly....3.6 clays is just a tad hotter than 3.5BE....and I use a 12lb spring for it and a 11lb for the 3.5 BE load....I too like the Penn 200gr match grades .....But want to try some of the bullets that DavidR's freind casts...I'd like to try n310 but I have yet to see it at any of my toy stores and from what the people tell me they cant just order 1 lb of it.....but nto to worried BE and clays work well enuff for me at this point in my skills and current gun tune........K

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down