New RO Dave Salyer Special

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New RO Dave Salyer Special

Post by Mightyheb on 3/28/2017, 4:47 pm

i a man so excited si I figured I would tell my bullseye buddies. I just picked up my RO "Salyer" precision 1911. It's a beauty. New Kart match barrel. Total turnkey job. 3.5# trigger job.  Watch out "X" I'm coming for you. This is my first ever bullseye pistol
Mightyheb

Back to top Go down

Re: New RO Dave Salyer Special

Post by Multiracer on 3/28/2017, 4:54 pm

Nice.

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld on 3/28/2017, 5:34 pm

Congrats! Hope it takes you to high master!

mspingeld

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK on 3/28/2017, 5:45 pm

Pictures??????  This is not theatre of the mind, I need to see what I crave.  What a Face
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar on 3/28/2017, 9:58 pm

I have a Salyer gun, it is a 1.2" pistol.

Enjoy it.
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by bdas on 3/29/2017, 1:08 am

I had Salyer accurize my 45 RO with a Kart barrel, and do a trigger job on it, and I'm very happy with it. I shot a 192 (97 & 95) in slow fire (at 25yds) with it in a match this past weekend, so I think it's fair to say that it's quite accurate.

bdas

https://sites.google.com/site/davesguninfo/home

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout on 3/29/2017, 8:02 am

Please post your range test results when they are available.  Thanks.   Nice find.
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by desben on 3/29/2017, 8:04 am

Very nice. I like that he engraves his name on it. If you ever have to sell that pistol (hope not!), this would help recoup the additional investment. You could probably achieve the same by keeping the paperwork from a known gunsmith, but this is a nice extra in my mind.
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by bdas on 3/29/2017, 3:19 pm

desben wrote:Very nice. I like that he engraves his name on it. If you ever have to sell that pistol (hope not!), this would help recoup the additional investment. You could probably achieve the same by keeping the paperwork from a known gunsmith, but this is a nice extra in my mind.

It's funny to see a totally different point of view.  I was furious when I got mine back and saw that HIS name was engraved on the side of MY pistol, especially without asking me if it was ok first.  And I let him know it, too.  If I got my car back from a custom tuner, and they had engraved their name on my fender, I'd demand a new fender.  People in the car world would (and do) get angry if you put a sticker on their window without asking, much less permanently engrave your name in huge letters on the side of the car.  You're working on it, not sponsoring it.  If I like the work you did, I'll put your sticker on my window, and tell people who ask what a great job you did; that's why the sticker in the window means anything to begin with (because it's an earned trophy, not a certificate of participation).

On my pistol, I darkened his engraving to make it less obvious, and live with it, but not happily.  But that's separate from the performance of the pistol, which makes me very happy.  The gun shoots great.

bdas

Back to top Go down

Post by Olde Pilot on 3/29/2017, 3:53 pm

bdas:

Did you ask Dave about refinishing the slide? He's one of the nicest, easy-going guys around. Never heard anyone not satisfied with his work and/or his customer service. Do you reject guns with "Clark" or  "Les Baer" on them because it's your gun-not theirs anymore?

Maybe best to ask about a possible resolution before raving (in CAPS!) about his name on your gun. I'd be proud to have a Salyer gun with his name on it.

Regards,
Russell Gill

Olde Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli on 3/29/2017, 4:06 pm

Yeah I don't like seeing Caspian or STI on my 1911 frames......
Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman on 3/29/2017, 4:37 pm

I also find the name overdone. I'd have it blued in also.But, I've seen his name on all his pistols so it shouldn't be a surprise..
james r chapman

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins on 3/29/2017, 5:53 pm

To the OP;
Good luck with your Salyer pistol.
Mine took me to Master.

As for the remarks of his name on the slide;
Nothing to see here; drive on. Rolling Eyes

Clarence
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mightyheb on 3/29/2017, 6:16 pm

I am going the Charlotte Pistol and Rifle club tomorrow and will post results.
Mightyheb

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley on 3/29/2017, 7:58 pm

I have a Clark Hardball and they marked it.  A little less conspicuously, I'm ok with it cuz I'm used to it on custom rifles.  The gunsmith usually marks the barrel as well as the caliber it was chambered.

Wobbley

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV on 3/29/2017, 8:13 pm

CONGRATS ON YOUR PISTOL !

AS FOR THE NAME ON THE GUN, I DO BELIEVE THE ATF NOW REQUIRES THAT CUSTOM WORK BE IDENTIFIED. JP

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet on 3/29/2017, 8:58 pm

I have 2 Salyers. Wad and hardball. You will not be disappointed.
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by bdas on 3/29/2017, 11:30 pm

Olde Pilot wrote:bdas:

Did you ask Dave about refinishing the slide? He's one of the nicest, easy-going guys around. Never heard anyone not satisfied with his work and/or his customer service. Do you reject guns with "Clark" or  "Les Baer" on them because it's your gun-not theirs anymore?

Maybe best to ask about a possible resolution before raving (in CAPS!) about his name on your gun. I'd be proud to have a Salyer gun with his name on it.

Regards,
Russell Gill
There's a difference between the manufacturer putting their name on a product they built and a tuner putting their name on a product they worked on.

Yes, I DID talk to him about it.  He offered to try to make some kind of exchange to resolve it, but I declined.  The shipping cost, plus the waiting, plus I had had him mount a rail on it, so there were other costs into the slide, and the slide is serial number matched to the frame... made it not worth it to me.  He was very nice about it (I never implied that he wasn't).  Obviously (based on this and other responses to my post) you guys have come to expect tuners to put their names on your guns, but this industry is the exception, not the rule. 

And, if you actually read what I said, that was my point... that I find it very interesting that you all are ok with this practice, to the point where you actually think it's a benefit.  It was an observation of the difference in point-of-view.  Neither way is "right" or "wrong", just completely different.

And yes, I've also let Dave Salyer know that I'm very happy with the actual work that he did, too.  I'm very happy with the gun, and have told him so, and have recommended him to other shooters that I know.  He does great work as far as I can tell.  (See also: my first post in this thread.)

Last edited by bdas on 3/30/2017, 9:47 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : clarifications and typos)

bdas

Back to top Go down

Post by togfish on 3/30/2017, 5:34 am

Good luck with the new gun. Dave has done excellent work on my Colt 70 Series over the years, and I am proud to have his name on it!!
togfish

Back to top Go down

Post by bdas on 3/30/2017, 9:37 am

james r chapman wrote:I also find the  name overdone. I'd have it blued in also.But, I've seen his name on all his pistols so it shouldn't be a surprise..

Actually, it was precisely the research that I had done about Salyer's work that led me to believe that this was not a standard procedure, despite having seen it multiple times in pictures.  In the sticky in the Equipment section titled "Accuracy upgrade to the Range Officer 45", DavidR clearly states:

"He then did a full test firing and accuracy session after which he had his Salyer logo engraved on the slide (optional)."

That led me to believe that this was an option that could be requested if desired.  So, yes, I was surprised.

bdas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum