Size/deprime/bell before clean

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Size/deprime/bell before clean

Post by Russ OR on 3/31/2017, 11:25 am

Repeat:
Depriming before SSpin or sonic cleaning:   - If you do this on a progressive reloader, why not size and bell at the same time?
I wedge the powder funnel in the up position so the powder bar isn't moving/wearing.

Fired, dirty Brass:
1st -Spritz a little Remoil spray on an old towel-toss some (100±?) or so cases on it. - Fold the towel over top & quickly (on flat surface) roll the brass between.-Dump.- Repeat. Takes little time - slightly cleans & sorta lubes the brass for sizing. - Discard towel after a few batches.-

Hand prime - or prime on machine as you reload.  - Loading with clean pre-sized, pre-belled brass (maybe even pre-primed) is smooth.

Last couple batches of SS pin cleaned brass, I used STM Tarnish inhibitor after.-It's early, but I think I like it. 

I think STM pins are best - consistent length. -It's the one brand pins (of 3) that I don't think I've ever had one stuck in a primer pocket. -- -Russ

Russ OR

Back to top Go down

Re: Size/deprime/bell before clean

Post by Gary Wells on 4/3/2017, 1:58 pm

I re-load in a very similar fashion. Even though I re-load single stage on a Dillon 550 I prefer to prepare my cases in the following manner: De-cap & size, clean by vibrator with Nu-Finish & media, tumble to remove all media, visually inspect & maybe case gage, & store for next reload session. This system works very well for me, but probably not for others that like to load in a quicker style.

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley on 4/3/2017, 2:33 pm

For pistol pins are not necessary.  In rifle pins can stick inside the case and you don't want one going down the barrel of your rifle.  So I don't use pins.  

YMMV.

Wobbley

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing on 4/3/2017, 2:44 pm

What are the pins you are speaking of?
Kurt
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Wells on 4/3/2017, 4:10 pm

Maybe the SS cleaning pins? I'm OCD but way too lazy to try and wet clean.

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli on 4/3/2017, 4:14 pm

I only use new brass @ 50. Throw fired brass in wet media tumbler. Dry and start reloading on the star or 550
Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H on 4/3/2017, 5:40 pm

Does anyone have significant data on using only new brass at 50?
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli on 4/3/2017, 5:50 pm

Jack H wrote:Does anyone have significant data on using only new brass at 50?

It's cheap enough, and I only use it at matches so 1,000 will last me the year.
Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by w4ti on 4/4/2017, 7:13 am

There are anecdotal remnants of articles, posts, etc., that indicate that new brass at 50 yards is preferred. How this conclusion was reached, and whether it is actually true, remains murky. 

I recently was trying to get LE Wilson to make a 45 cal. seater die that you could use with a hydraulic press to see how much force was required to seat a bullet; in this way, you might be able to gather velocity/seating pressure data that might indicate when 45 brass loses "neck tension," and therefore would open up the velocity SD. They don't make such dies and aren't interested in doing so.

Even so, the real question might be, "what is the acceptable standard deviation in velocity" so that point of impact is impacted least.

But like Chris says- to eliminate any doubt, whether it is mechanical or mental, use new brass for the long line. It's cheap.

-Chase

w4ti

Back to top Go down

Post by s1120 on 4/4/2017, 9:33 am

Chris Miceli wrote:I only use new brass @ 50. Throw fired brass in wet media tumbler. Dry and start reloading on the star or 550

I was thinking the same thing. Granted I can in no way shoot good enough to see a difference, but being that all my 38spc, and 45 brass, is old, mix and match, a little bit of everything, I think its time to start working with some known brass...

s1120

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley on 4/4/2017, 9:57 am

We know from rifle shooting that accuracy falls off after 4 firings.  But some claim that the drop is faster in as few as two firings.  My experience of over 30 years of rifle was that at 4 firings I either annealed or relegated the brass to "less important matches". 

My technique for pistol is to use brass for 3 firings at the 50 yard line from new.  Then to the 25 yard line bin.  I just bought 500 new cases.  I'm going to load my last 185 gr. Winchester FMJWC bullets in these and shoot them only at 50.

Wobbley

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 on 4/4/2017, 10:26 am

New pistol brass has two things going for it typically.

consistent length( think consistent crimp )

long length ( think headspace )
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo on 4/4/2017, 8:38 pm

Fresh Brass is good for a 1/8 to 1/2 inch at 50 Yards. I think Jon Eulette did a study. After 1x there is no meaningful difference between newer and used brass. 

Another study, I forget by whom said the only thing in case prep that makes a difference in accuracy are clean primer pockets.
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum