Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hello folks, new here and did I get the correct things (stuff)

4 posters

Go down

hello folks, new here and did I get the correct things (stuff) Empty hello folks, new here and did I get the correct things (stuff)

Post by gray wolf 4/9/2017, 2:42 pm

First off hello to all the fine folks here.

Been shooting and reloading for more years than I can count, mostly 1911 type pistols.
I cast my own from a circa 1940's 4 hole H&G #68 f/b  mold ( did I say it's nice ?)
I load on a xl650.

I had to quit casting and sizing because of a shoulder that's gone bad on me.
No B/E pistol yet, just a Sig P320 45 acp, Dan Wesson Valor 45 acp, and a Springer loaded.
Knowing me I probably will get a b/e pistol before long.
Been looking at a Springfield loaded ( could I start with that )??

I hope I got the right stuff, I have 4,000 Zero 185 FMJHP and about 4Lb. of B/E and 4 of tite group.
I want to concentrate on some good 25 Yard shooting, I want to see how well I can do at that.

At 75 It's gotten a little harder to run skip and jump anymore.

Any way I hope it's OK to post here since I don't have a B/E pistol yet.

Do you think the 185 FMJHP zero bullets and the B/E powder along with the Tite group will be a good place to start ? I got the 185 to keep the recoil down. I have 16,15 and 14 pound recoil springs.

I appreciate any answers and the help.

gray wolf

Back to top Go down

hello folks, new here and did I get the correct things (stuff) Empty Re: hello folks, new here and did I get the correct things (stuff)

Post by cdrt 4/9/2017, 3:35 pm

I shot a 271 last year at OKC using the Zero 185 JHP and 4.5 grains of BE in my hardball gun (a Springfield 1911A1 in .45 ACP that Buddy Chapman worked up for me).  Really nice load and a killer at 25 yards.

If you are looking for a combination hardball/wad gun, buy a Springfield Range Officer in .45 ACP.  The one with the Bo-Mar type rear sight, not the Operator model.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-range-officer-45-acp/
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

hello folks, new here and did I get the correct things (stuff) Empty Re: hello folks, new here and did I get the correct things (stuff)

Post by Boris_La 4/9/2017, 4:11 pm

Zero 185 JHP and 4.5gr titegroup shooting really well (<2") at 50m from CZ97B.

Boris_La

Back to top Go down

Post by gray wolf 4/9/2017, 4:48 pm

Thank you for the help, should I go with a lighter spring for the
4.5 b/e load ? or will the 16 pound spring work.

I am not really to up on how to tune up a pistol with changing recoil springs, not sure what to look for.

gray wolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Boris_La 4/9/2017, 6:53 pm

gray wolf wrote:Thank you for the help, should I go with a lighter spring for the
4.5 b/e load ? or will the 16 pound spring work.

I am not really to up on how to tune up a pistol with changing recoil springs, not sure what to look for.
4.5BE or TG load is not very light load. its more like medium/mild load. My CZ97B with OEM recoil spring works fine with much lighter loads (3.7gr BE, 3.6gr Clays and similar).
You may want to try it first and see if lighter spring is needed.
Look for reliable ejection and feeding, slide moving all the way back and brass thrown to the side at least a few feet.

Boris_La

Back to top Go down

Post by gray wolf 4/9/2017, 7:36 pm

OK thank you

gray wolf

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 4/10/2017, 7:19 am

As a newer BE shooter, you are good to go with the Valor or SA Loaded.

The Range Officer is a good starting point for a fresh rebuild, but would be a step backwards from your current guns vs. a stock RO.  I started with an RO, then switched to a Valor with great happiness.  The fit, finish, and internal parts are superior to the RO.  Later, I built the RO into a BE pistol superior to the Valor, but in your case the Valor or Loaded is the way to go and would be a good starting point for a BE buildup.

You might want to simply consider changing rear sights on the Valor or Loaded to the wide target blade vs. the tactical/night sights and possibly a black front sight instead of the optical sight.  It is cheaper than a new RO and you will have a better pistol than the stock RO.

Later, you may want to build up one of your current guns into a BE gun, but don't worry about it too much right now.

4.0-4.2gr BE with 185gr JHP is more than enough for 25 yards.  4.5gr BE 185gr JHP is a good load for the 50.  It is just a bit more of a spank than I prefer.

I mostly shoot 25-yards with 185gr LSWC and 3.8gr BE. It has a soft impulse and good accuracy for my skill level. You may want to consider it if you have shoulder issues.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gray wolf 4/10/2017, 2:41 pm

Thank you Sir, that was good to hear, it's encouraging to know I have the equipment for a starting point.

gray wolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down