Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Model 41 Miss Fire Help

5 posters

Go down

Model 41 Miss Fire Help Empty Model 41 Miss Fire Help

Post by dsandula 4/15/2017, 2:57 pm

I just took a clean and freshly lubed Model 41 out of a 1 year storage and it miss fires frequently with it sounding like the firing pin is moving forward, but there's only a slight mark on the rim of the casing.

It had been in in storage for 25 years prior.  I shot it heavily for 3 or 4 years, then stored it to shoot a High Standard.  It shot just fine before I stored it the last time.

CCI Standard Velocity has always shot good in it.

Any advice?  New springs?

dsandula

Back to top Go down

Model 41 Miss Fire Help Empty Re: Model 41 Miss Fire Help

Post by LenV 4/15/2017, 3:59 pm

Clean extractor? It could be hanging up. Do plunk test. My spring is 40 years old and still going strong but it could be spring. Or, your shooting it in cold weather and your new oil doesn't like it.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by New2BE 4/24/2017, 9:59 am

Mine did the same. Two batches of different ammo-including one being 711b.  Pistol was stored too for five years. Cleaned pistol thoroughly, including completely removing all lubrication (used Gun Scrubber and M Pro 7) and bought new batch of ammo. Turned out there was some old oil which gummed up. Some of the ammo was bad too, like 1-2 rounds per 1000 (enough to make you crazy). 41 runs great now, no issues. Like it so much, mounted an UD on it with Weiand mount.

Old ammo I'll shoot up in my Marlin when I practice SASS.

New2BE

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 4/24/2017, 10:16 am

Get a hold of KC Crawford. He can tell you what to adjust/fix your 41 to get it running right again. He'll keep you from running in circles.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by dsandula 4/24/2017, 7:29 pm

Not sure what happened, but it's suddenly shooting fine for the last 250 or so rounds.  Jeesh!  Likely a tiny hunk of crud somewhere?  Guessing I need to be more careful with drying it with the air compressor after cleaning.  I'll start to trust it after another 250 or so rounds in practice.  Thanks for the input.

dsandula

Back to top Go down

Model 41 Miss Fire Help Empty Model 41 maintenance website

Post by Dipnet 4/26/2017, 8:55 am

Check out this very useful website for model 41. I too suspect congealed oil=crud. You can always take apart and blast with brake cleaner, then re-oil using lightweight oil. dipnet

m41 site
Dipnet
Dipnet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down