Can we talk Wobble?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can we talk Wobble?

Post by Magload on 4/16/2017, 10:49 am

First topic message reminder :

If my reading and understanding of what I read is right as long as your trigger breaks with in your wobble area that is what you want.  That way you can keep the trigger moving and not try to snatch the shot when the dot is on the X ring.  Because that is not where the dot is going to be when the bullet clears the barrel.  Now what I want to know is I been right so far is when you all are shooting clean targets your wobble is all in the 10 ring?  Don
Magload

Back to top Go down

Re: Can we talk Wobble?

Post by Jon Eulette on 4/21/2017, 4:52 pm

Jack H wrote:Jon,
What I interpret you are saying then is that the final two moves of the shot are simultaneously :
1. lowering at the shoulder towards your best sight picture which is already 99% established by "hold"
2. trigger finger
Jack,
That's another way to look at it. When I'm lowering the pistol I'm alteady committed to shooting my shot because I'm already squeezing the trigger at least 50% by the time I get to the target. I still have time to abort though! For the most part my wobble is the same as I lower into the black and when I settle in the black. Somewhere in there the shot will/should break. The easiest 10's I shoot are the ones that break fast/soonest. 
Jon
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H on 4/21/2017, 6:22 pm

"The easiest 10's I shoot are the ones that break fast/soonest. "
That would be just like when T&R strings are going well.
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by 12XNPC on 4/22/2017, 8:32 am

I understand that getting someone to move to the trigger prior to achieving perfect sight alignment / sight picture is challenging. I have been trying to figure out better ways to get folks to understand the concept for years.

TIMING  To dispel the myth or misunderstanding, MASTER and HM shooters are not starting to move the trigger as it falls into the black and hopefully time the shot to coincide with the dot passing into the center of the black. Not happening.

WOBBLE  EVERYBODY HAS WOBBLE.  I HAVE WOBBLE. I also have impeccable trigger control that assists in controlling the wobble of the gun through the pressure being applied to the trigger.

If you hold the gun out in front of you it wobbles, correct? We all have a certain degree of wobble, varied by age, habits, genetics level of fitness and other things.  AS we apply pressure to the trigger we will notice that the wobble will decrease, simply because we are now offering pressure of force to part of the gun, the trigger.  IF you have a rolling trigger not only are you putting pressure or force to the gun you are also moving something now with that force being applied....the wobble will become even less.

DO NOT try to "time" the trigger break with sights falling into the black. Put pressure on the trigger as part of your grip, start moving the trigger before the sights are even in the black. The sights should settle into your "aiming area", again still moving (roll trigger) or building pressure (crisp trigger) on the trigger for a split second and shot should break.

From the time the gun leaves the bench and you present to the target and the shot breaks it should only take about 8 seconds, 10 seconds on the high end. DO NOT COUNT and pull the trigger. Only through a lot of dry fire will that become consistent. Have a partner time you and see if you are being consistent in your approach.

The beauty of that is if you are consistent in the presentation time frame all you need to do is figure out where in the sustained fire commands do you need start the process for the first shot.  Because the first shot of every sustained fire string SHOULD be the same process as every slow fire shot that you make.

3 Guns
3 stages of fire

ONE GRIP
ONE SHOT PROCESS
12XNPC

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar on 4/22/2017, 2:33 pm

One other point that I just remembered as well: you're not only trying to make the arc of movement smaller, you want to make it slower as well. Consistently squeezing the trigger through a small, slow arc of movement (wobble) is the key.
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H on 4/22/2017, 5:17 pm

And there is a fine line between making it smaller and forcing it smaller, which you don't want
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot on 4/22/2017, 5:40 pm

Any training suggestions for making your arc of movement slower?  Just came back from a 2700 match and many times during sustained fire while recovering from recoil, the dot is oscillating left and right so fast the dot becomes a blur (with .45, hardly happens with .22).  I assume this is due to nervousness, but I could be wrong.  Thanks.

Last edited by joy2shoot on 4/22/2017, 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added caliber comment)

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by 12XNPC on 4/23/2017, 9:22 am

john bickar wrote:One other point that I just remembered as well: you're not only trying to make the arc of movement smaller, you want to make it slower as well. Consistently squeezing the trigger through a small, slow arc of movement (wobble) is the key.

Absolutely......trigger movement will slow down that wobble to make it easier to pull the trigger.
12XNPC

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis on 4/23/2017, 9:44 am

Brian, I don't think that the problem is the effectiveness of the teaching. It took me a year to understand, through the experience of feeling it and doing it, some if the things that you taught. 

1. Steady, even Trigger pressure reduces the wobble area. 
2. A good roll trigger shows less sight movement (or none) than a crisp trigger in blank wall dryfire and on a target. Though I still seem to shoot a crisp trigger better in slow fire. 
3. Slab grips are a benefit, not a liability.
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum