Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wanting recommendations for trigger pull gauge

+5
Chris Miceli
gregbenner
mspingeld
Magload
SW-52
9 posters

Go down

wanting recommendations for trigger pull gauge Empty wanting recommendations for trigger pull gauge

Post by SW-52 4/16/2017, 2:27 pm

i want what is the best trigger pull gauge,price,confiability,precision,etc.
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

wanting recommendations for trigger pull gauge Empty Re: wanting recommendations for trigger pull gauge

Post by Magload 4/16/2017, 2:39 pm

Well I had a Lyman Digital that I have had just two years. Today I was working with this 52-2 that the trigger is too light so I ran a calibration check on it.  I have two weights that was weighted on a state certified digital that measures to a .01 ozs.  I use these to chck my scales.  The Lyman is measuring 3 ozs to heavy.  That could mean you think you are ok with your RF measuring 2lb 2oz where you are really 1 oz to light.  Don't like this I worked in a calibration lab for 12 years and know these things need checked.  I opened it up with the hope there was a adjustment which there was not.  Now the front of it is marked -3oz.  My Berkley digital fish scale is only off a 1/2oz.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

wanting recommendations for trigger pull gauge Empty Re: wanting recommendations for trigger pull gauge

Post by mspingeld 4/16/2017, 2:44 pm

Only one option. Physical weights. http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/measuring-tools/trigger-pull-gauges-weights/official-4-3-4-lb-trigger-weight-set-prod9708.aspx

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 4/16/2017, 3:02 pm

ML, that is interesting.  I also have the Lyman digital, and on a couple pistols Jon Eulette did for me I got a higher pull weight than he said he set them at.  When i queried him on which gauge he used, he indicated he uses the NRA physical weight system. It's not too critical for me, since I don't set anything myself, but certainly seems to verify both yours and mspingeld's comments. (Jon, I never doubted you)

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 4/16/2017, 3:18 pm

I have a physical set as well.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins 4/16/2017, 3:23 pm

Always wanted a physical weight set, always used the one at the gun club in Phoenix, but I moved so been using a weighed bag of lead bullets and wire coat hanger for getting pretty close.

Happened to be at a gun show a few weeks ago and saw a table with some retired gunsmith items on it.

Walked out with a 5# physical weight set and two Mitutoyo standards (1" & 2") for $50.

Good to go now.

Clarence
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 4/16/2017, 3:53 pm

Physical weight sets are not that hard to make and calibrate. I made two of these. I made an extra set for someone that asked me to. Then forgot who asked. Oh well.

wanting recommendations for trigger pull gauge Dscf0413
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 4/16/2017, 4:01 pm

Remember a physical weight set does not weigh the trigger pull. Think of them as go/no go gauges.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 4/16/2017, 4:09 pm

thanks to all. very interesting all points. i watch the wheeler trigger gauge,but not sure for buy.
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 4/16/2017, 4:53 pm

All measuring instruments have a calibration cycle that is why when the mechanic is working on my Jeep it bothers me knowing that torque wrench has never been calibrated.  I couldn't count how many torque and pressure gauges I called in the navy and had to adjust. It is for sure I don't believe my digital voltmeter is right on anymore.  Even our Standards that we used were on a cal cycle and had to be traceable back to The National Bureau of Standards.  I put the weight set on my wish list at Brownell's for what we are checking it is accurate enough and will stay petty close.  Believe or not we had to send our standard weights like those into to be cal'ed. Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 4/16/2017, 11:33 pm

I weigh my trigger pull with weights, very accurate! I have weights in ounces, add them 1 at a time to determine the exact weight needed to drop the hammer. I do have the 2, 3.5 and 4 pound weights to check to see if I'm "legal". Can add weights if needed to measure center fire but as of now I shoot only the .22 and .45.
 I test my trigger pulls to be with in 1 oz. Not 1 oz over legal as that might get me disqualified but but hammer fall weight to be consistent within 1 oz. over 10 pulls.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 4/17/2017, 8:40 am

I have the Wheeler trigger pull gauge, as well as, physical weights. I never considered the trigger pull gauges as being 100% accurate. I always thought that they just put me in the ball park. The physical weights are to ensure that the gun meets the NRA rules.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down