Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Once fired brass steel pin cleaned issues in pres

+4
jglenn21
Chris Miceli
Magload
Mightyheb
8 posters

Go down

Once fired brass steel pin cleaned issues in pres Empty Once fired brass steel pin cleaned issues in pres

Post by Mightyheb 4/18/2017, 8:54 pm

I am having an issue with this once fired "too" shiny inside and out brass.  When I use it in my Dillon progressive it gets hard to Push the handle up at the primer/powder feeder. I have read that it happens with new brass and use my tumbler with corn cob media will it help any.  I have no issues with my once fired brass that I clean in my tumbler

Thanks
Mightyheb
Mightyheb

Back to top Go down

Once fired brass steel pin cleaned issues in pres Empty Re: Once fired brass steel pin cleaned issues in pres

Post by Magload 4/18/2017, 9:06 pm

Mightyheb wrote:I am having an issue with this once fired "too" shiny inside and out brass.  When I use it in my Dillon progressive it gets hard to Push the handle up at the primer/powder feeder. I have read that it happens with new brass and use my tumbler with corn cob media will it help any.  I have no issues with my once fired brass that I clean in my tumbler

Thanks
That is because the brass is too clean.  Either run it through a vibrator with corn cob and Turtle Wax or just spray it with some One Shot case lube.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Once fired brass steel pin cleaned issues in pres Empty Re: Once fired brass steel pin cleaned issues in pres

Post by Chris Miceli 4/18/2017, 9:09 pm

Some options, call starline and they will have you send your powder funnel to them,they will polish it and send it back for free. Buy the mr bullet feeder powder funnel. Buy the Dillon 1050 pistol powder funnel. Take a green scrub pad and scrub your powder funnel to knock off some of the brass that's stuck on it. Some people say use a tiny bit case lube but I didn't care for that.

I have all the above options I use the 1050 powder funnel

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 4/18/2017, 9:40 pm

Instead of using soap when cleaning with SS pins  use a car wash/ wax.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Mightyheb 4/18/2017, 10:19 pm

I don't have the smell pin cleaner. Only the media tumbler. Someone gave me 2000 casings. Obviously they don't like me too much
Mightyheb
Mightyheb

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 4/18/2017, 10:30 pm

Just spray on a dab of wax dissolved in isopropyl alcohol.  The alcohol flashes off and the wax dries on the brass. Not much about a tea candle in a pint of alcohol.  An old hand sprayer should do nicely.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mightyheb 4/18/2017, 11:50 pm

Mag

How much turtle wax would you use in a small-medium size tumbler and how exactly would you do it?  Sorry I have never used case lube. I assume your talking about the turtle wax spray. I looked and they have 5 different sprays now

Thanks
Mightyheb
Mightyheb

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld 4/19/2017, 7:45 am

I bought the Mr. Bulletfeeder funnel. Better but brass still stuck a bit. I don't think the brass is too clean. I use the wet tumbler with stainless pins. The problem diminishes after the brass is used a couple of times. I lay a bunch of brass in a cardboard tray and lightly spray with case lube. Let dry for a few minutes. No more problem.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 4/19/2017, 7:48 am

mspingeld wrote:I bought the Mr. Bulletfeeder funnel. Better but brass still stuck a bit. I don't think the brass is too clean. I use the wet tumbler with stainless pins. The problem diminishes after the brass is used a couple of times. I lay a bunch of brass in a cardboard tray and lightly spray with case lube. Let dry for a few minutes. No more problem.

The only fix i have found is the 1050 funnel, never a tough stroke again.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Mightyheb 4/19/2017, 9:27 am

Chris. I have the square deal B. So I don't think the 1050 will work with it
Mightyheb
Mightyheb

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 4/19/2017, 9:53 am

Mightyheb wrote:Chris. I have the square deal B. So I don't think the 1050 will work with it
the powder system looks somewhat the same as the other dillons, can always call dillon.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by sixftunda 4/19/2017, 10:17 am

1. Spray lube in empty gallon Ziploc bag
2. Throw brass in bag
3. Close bag.
4. Shake.
5. Open bag and reload.

I only need to do this with brand new brass.

My unsolicited opinion: SS tumbling isn't worth the extra work.
sixftunda
sixftunda

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 4/19/2017, 10:18 am

I believe the powder funnels are not unique to the SD .. only the collar area is different from say the 550 or 650.

the 1050 powder funnels are the old original style of funnels from Dillon. they simply bell the case.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 4/19/2017, 12:34 pm

Mightyheb wrote:Mag

How much turtle wax would you use in a small-medium size tumbler and how exactly would you do it?  Sorry I have never used case lube. I assume your talking about the turtle wax spray. I looked and they have 5 different sprays now

Thanks
Nope I use the old green stuff in the bottle and just squeeze in maybe about a table spoon worth in a couple places on top of the corn cobs mix and run the unit about 10 minutes before adding the brass.  I find it doesn't mix well and till the brass is added.  I have thought of thinning it with something but just haven't bothered.  You don't need to add it but one time. My unit came with a bottle of wax that was thinned but being old school I like Turtle Wax but I am sure any of that kind of stuff would do.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 4/19/2017, 12:37 pm

sixftunda wrote:1. Spray lube in empty gallon Ziploc bag
2. Throw brass in bag
3. Close bag.
4. Shake.
5. Open bag and reload.

I only need to do this with brand new brass.

My unsolicited opinion: SS tumbling isn't worth the extra work.
It sure cleans but I agree it is not worth the mess and only use it now for benchrest rifle.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Mightyheb 4/19/2017, 1:12 pm

UPDATE.....

I used some corn cob media with a cap full of NuFinish and no more problems. 

Thanks to all for your help. That was frustrating
Mightyheb
Mightyheb

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 4/19/2017, 1:38 pm

Mightyheb wrote:UPDATE.....

I used some corn cob media with a cap full of NuFinish and no more problems. 

Thanks to all for your help. That was frustrating
Your welcome that is what we are here for to help each other.  Your brass will also stay shiny longer and clean up quicker next time.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 4/19/2017, 3:41 pm

I've used NuFinish for many years with corn cob media.. no ill affects at all.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by KenO 4/19/2017, 9:10 pm

If your a rifle shooter, you probably have some Imperial sizing wax on hand. Just rub a little on the powder expander button, if it starts sticking again, re-apply.  The button/funnel hangs down from the powder die. I do this for new brass.

KenO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down