Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kensight Sharkskin Grip Short Review

+4
SW-52
willnewton
MarkOue
Tim:H11
8 posters

Go down

Kensight Sharkskin Grip Short Review Empty Kensight Sharkskin Grip Short Review

Post by Tim:H11 4/20/2017, 7:29 am

I've seen a lot of guns here and at the local matches that sport the Kensight Sharkskin grips for the 1911. Black, matching well with any finish, and aggressively stippled they are simply plastic. Not a rocket science design or idea. And they're cheap! $20 New on average! Maybe a little more with shipping, perhaps tax if it's involved. So wanting the same grips on two or three guns of your set of pistols happens to be based on the 1911 platform is very affordable with this choice of a grip. 

I shoot a Nelson conversion for a 22 on a Range Officer frame. The factory pretty Springfield wood grips have always looked good to me and with the minimal recoil the 22 has anything more aggressive just isn't needed. But I feel like I would like or possibly could benefit from something more grippy for the 45. So since the sharkskins were so cheap in comparison to many other options I decided to give it a try.  

I don't have my 45 yet so input the grips on my 22 to see how they felt. First impressions upon opening the package. The grips are plastic so a brute of a mail man could I suppose bend or break them accidentally but I find it impossible with the way they are packaged. Cellophaned against a stout piece of cardboard with a sticker tucked in as the label. Simple grips, simple packaging. I cut them out and was very surprised with its texture. So much that I started to worry thinking "I hope this isn't gonna be too much and I end up hating them..." 

But on the 22 they went and in dry fire I loved em! Comfortable, and they give you a feeling that the gun is anchored into the hand. During live fire I shot very well with them and again they were comfortable. But this is with a 22. The real test is to see how the do on my 45. That will have to wait for now but don't expect any issues. I find I will have to order a second pair so the two guns are closer together. And I've added that cool little sticker to the inside of my shooting box.  

Kensight Sharkskin Grip Short Review Img_2116

Kensight Sharkskin Grip Short Review Img_2114

Back to top Go down

Kensight Sharkskin Grip Short Review Empty Re: Kensight Sharkskin Grip Short Review

Post by MarkOue 4/20/2017, 7:45 am

Thanks, 
I just ordered a set from Brownells for $19.

Great deal!
Mark

MarkOue

Back to top Go down

Kensight Sharkskin Grip Short Review Empty Re: Kensight Sharkskin Grip Short Review

Post by willnewton 4/20/2017, 7:53 am

About to buy my third set.  Good grip that is well priced with no maintenance or special care needed.  Aggressive without being "pointy" and you can adjust them with sandpaper or a file quickly.

I did sand down the trigger finger area on mine to smooth it out a bit.

Just need to make sure you take a well placed grip on it when you pick it up to shoot and recheck it after you get your grip established.  It will not allow your hand to slide around and self-adjust.  Of course, that is the point, but I'm just saying you can pick it up and get your grip out of whack if you are not mindful of it.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 4/20/2017, 8:04 am

Tim:H11 wrote:I've seen a lot of guns here and at the local matches that sport the Kensight Sharkskin grips for the 1911. Black, matching well with any finish, and aggressively stippled they are simply plastic. Not a rocket science design or idea. And they're cheap! $20 New on average! Maybe a little more with shipping, perhaps tax if it's involved. So wanting the same grips on two or three guns of your set of pistols happens to be based on the 1911 platform is very affordable with this choice of a grip. 

I shoot a Nelson conversion for a 22 on a Range Officer frame. The factory pretty Springfield wood grips have always looked good to me and with the minimal recoil the 22 has anything more aggressive just isn't needed. But I feel like I would like or possibly could benefit from something more grippy for the 45. So since the sharkskins were so cheap in comparison to many other options I decided to give it a try.  

I don't have my 45 yet so input the grips on my 22 to see how they felt. First impressions upon opening the package. The grips are plastic so a brute of a mail man could I suppose bend or break them accidentally but I find it impossible with the way they are packaged. Cellophaned against a stout piece of cardboard with a sticker tucked in as the label. Simple grips, simple packaging. I cut them out and was very surprised with its texture. So much that I started to worry thinking "I hope this isn't gonna be too much and I end up hating them..." 

But on the 22 they went and in dry fire I loved em! Comfortable, and they give you a feeling that the gun is anchored into the hand. During live fire I shot very well with them and again they were comfortable. But this is with a 22. The real test is to see how the do on my 45. That will have to wait for now but don't expect any issues. I find I will have to order a second pair so the two guns are closer together. And I've added that cool little sticker to the inside of my shooting box.  

Kensight Sharkskin Grip Short Review Img_2116

Kensight Sharkskin Grip Short Review Img_2114
super low price,and more aggresive grip than other,love this grips.
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 4/20/2017, 8:05 am

Welcome to the search for the perfect set of 1911 grips. You will love them for awhile. Then you will find something else you want to try. It's addictive but relatively inexpensive. Enjoy the search.

Kensight Sharkskin Grip Short Review Dscf1026
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet 4/20/2017, 8:06 am

I ordered a set a few days ago for my EIC gun. Should be here monday. The stock grips are fine on my wad gun but the EIC loads are twisting the the pistol a bit. I'll post after I've tried them.
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 4/20/2017, 10:20 am

LenV wrote:Welcome to the search for the perfect set of 1911 grips. You will love them for awhile. Then you will find something else you want to try. It's addictive but relatively inexpensive. Enjoy the search.

Kensight Sharkskin Grip Short Review Dscf1026
That picture is after selling at least one set to me.  How many would it be you kept every one you tried Len?    lol!
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 4/20/2017, 11:45 am

Len you have a set of grips for every holster I have in my didn't like holster drawer.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 4/20/2017, 12:18 pm

i hope this slab grips come to other pistol brands and models,example,high standards,sw-41,etc.
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 4/21/2017, 12:41 pm

Magload wrote:Len you have a set of grips for every holster I have in my didn't like holster drawer.  Don

Don, I don't even want to go into holsters. They can cost a lot more then slabs. And yes, the box is full of grips.

Kensight Sharkskin Grip Short Review Dscf1126
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 4/21/2017, 1:06 pm

LenV wrote:
Magload wrote:Len you have a set of grips for every holster I have in my didn't like holster drawer.  Don

Don, I don't even want to go into holsters. They can cost a lot more then slabs. And yes, the box is full of grips.

Kensight Sharkskin Grip Short Review Dscf1126

I am petty sure you got me beat.  I am waiting on a custom OWB from Wright Leather Works for my carry Shield 45 then I can add this one to the drawer.  Long wait even longer then waiting on a Nelson conv.
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down