Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problems loading Mangus HBWC in 38spc..

5 posters

Go down

Problems loading Mangus HBWC in 38spc.. Empty Problems loading Mangus HBWC in 38spc..

Post by s1120 5/2/2017, 8:14 am

OK, so Ive been loading for about 5 or so years...  Ive loaded thousands of cast wadcutters in 38spc during that time, and no real issues to speak of..  I picked up a box of these HBWC to try, and I'm having a heck of a time. I have the case expanded using a Lyman M die, and they start about a 1/4 of the way in the case..  Ive tried my two different seating dies... one for my normal button noise WC, and one for RD, and they bolth seat the bulled about 3/4 the way, then it seems to kick over, and shave one side of the bullet.. I have the dies set so they don't seat/crimp together so its not crimping too soon..  Any one have these issues with these? Something I'm missing in my prosses that didn't come up with the cast WC I normaly load? Its really got me baffled.

s1120

Back to top Go down

Problems loading Mangus HBWC in 38spc.. Empty Re: Problems loading Mangus HBWC in 38spc..

Post by BE Mike 5/2/2017, 8:33 am

I've loaded only swaged .38 SPL, 148 gr. HBWC over the years. I have never used the Lyman M die. I use standard Lyman dies with carbide sizer. I bell the cases with the standard die. I taper crimp with a separate die. I've never had your issue. My first guess would be that it has something to do with the Lyman M die.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Problems loading Mangus HBWC in 38spc.. Empty Re: Problems loading Mangus HBWC in 38spc..

Post by desben 5/2/2017, 8:34 am

With my Lee press, I had to increase the flare to the max I could before it started giving issues in the crimping die that comes after. I also ground the seating stem so that it had a flat nose. That solved the shaving problem for me.
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by s1120 5/2/2017, 9:02 am

My seating stem is already flat. I use the oddball Lyman truline jr, and the matching 310 dies to seat and crimp...  its strange but has worked for me well till now...  I thought the cases were belled enough, but Ill try belling a little more, and see what happands.

s1120

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 5/2/2017, 9:12 am

If I remember the M die is a long taper.
I've had excellent results with the standard Lee through powder expander dies.
You need just enough belling to allow starting the bullet.1/4 is too much.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by s1120 5/2/2017, 9:18 am

james r chapman wrote:If I remember the M die is a long taper.
I've had excellent results with the standard Lee through powder expander dies.
You need just enough belling to allow starting the bullet.1/4 is too much.

That's what I always thought.. that's why I didn't bell more..  Ill have to go through and see exactly where the problem is accruing, and   fill in the details of my findings...

s1120

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj 5/3/2017, 5:07 pm

I use a LOT of case mouth flare and make sure the bullet is square (coaxial to case), but I am sure you also do that, and use a Lee seating stem with a hollow in the center so the button nose isn't flattened.
You can also try a Hornady New Dimension Seating die as it has a "tube" the bullet goes into to keep the bullet aligned during seating.
I have several M-dies and i have never solved a problem with one. 
More accuracy is lost due to insufficient flare than cases that are saved by too little flare.

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down