Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recoil Spring Testers

+4
willnewton
Wobbley
Russ OR
Magload
8 posters

Go down

Recoil Spring Testers Empty Recoil Spring Testers

Post by Magload 5/5/2017, 10:26 am

Has anyone used a recoil spring tester and have any recommendations for one?  Brownell's sells one for Gov model 1911s but the reviews wasn't very good.  I made one myself for my SW MP recoil springs but it only works on them.  Wollf springs says that the tester needs to have 3 different index marks on it for the different sizes of 1911s.  I was hoping to also check my SW 52-2 recoil spring and also test other springs like mainsprings.  Might just have to get innovative and design a few more testers.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Recoil Spring Testers Empty Re: Recoil Spring Testers

Post by Russ OR 5/5/2017, 10:37 am

The one I got from Dillon comes with an electronic scale that doesn't stay at the last pull weight-not handy.  -- 

I made one (mechanical scale) that checks weight in full recoil, in battery, and for spring bind (w/ buffer). So far only 1 spring (don't remember which one) binds with a buffer in the pistol.

Russ OR

Back to top Go down

Post by Russ OR 5/5/2017, 10:39 am

I also made/marked a different rod to check conversion recoil springs

Russ OR

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 5/5/2017, 11:27 am

The problem I see with how springs are rated, from a strict engineering standpoint, is two fold.  The ratings given are at what length?  

When I specified a spring in my work, it was specified as "X +/- x pounds at Y in and Z +/- z lb at W inches.  The Y and W were the expected operating range of the mechanism. It was never at solid or at free length. When someone says "I have a 12 pound spring" it means very little to me as there's no reference. 

Secondly, springs have a high tolerance band.  The force and rate tolerances can be as high as 15%.  Less if you pay premium prices.  

In bullseye, we choose springs to give function.  If your pistol isn't functioning change the spring.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 5/5/2017, 12:07 pm

He doesn't have them listed right now, but save the link.  He makes a marked tester for recoil and hammer springs.  Also, some other neat reloading bits.  I have placed several orders from him and like the testers.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/rrpmi/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 5/5/2017, 1:59 pm

willnewton wrote:He doesn't have them listed right now, but save the link.  He makes a marked tester for recoil and hammer springs.  Also, some other neat reloading bits.  I have placed several orders from him and like the testers.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/rrpmi/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
He does have some interesting stuff.  I will keep checking back on his site.  I agree just put the spring in the gun that works but I don't seam to get them put back into the right packages or relabel the package when I take the 10 out and put the 12 in the package.  Hey I been on retirement for 8 years and maybe getting a little bored but I like to tinker and a inquiring mind needs to know.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 5/5/2017, 5:40 pm

I shoot with the nic Taylor 1911 recoil sprigs they are color coded

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 5/5/2017, 5:50 pm

I only use it for reference. Because I get them mixed up too.
Recoil Spring Testers Dscf0210
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins 5/5/2017, 6:23 pm

That is one nice custom made spring tester.
And I bet it works too.

Clarence
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by djw1cav 5/8/2017, 4:56 pm

Magload wrote:anyone used a recoil spring tester and have any recommendations for one?  Brownell's sells one for Gov model 1911s but the reviews wasn't very good.  I made one myself for my SW MP recoil springs but it only works on them.  Wollf springs says that the tester needs to have 3 different index marks on it for the different sizes of 1911s.  I was hoping to also check my SW 52-2 recoil spring and also test other springs like mainsprings.  Might just have to get innovative and design a few more testers.  Don
Don,
I added a red dot to my 1911 a couple of years ago and of course it would not cycle properly with the standard spring.  To make a long story short I ended up making a simple spring tester to help me tune the gun for the extra weight.  I have included some photos below.  I used a pipe nipple with a slot cut in it, an inexpensive scale, a 1/4# bolt and some hardware.  I marked a spot on the pipe cutout for four springs (1911, commander, nelson conversion and S&W model 52).  I double checked it against a known weight and it seems quite accurate (within 1/4 lb).
DJW1CAV
Attachments
Recoil Spring Testers Attachment
IMG_0353.JPG You don't have permission to download attachments.(29 Kb) Downloaded 5 times
IMG_0355.JPG You don't have permission to download attachments.(32 Kb) Downloaded 6 times
IMG_0354.JPG You don't have permission to download attachments.(29 Kb) Downloaded 6 times

djw1cav

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 5/8/2017, 6:13 pm

That is nice I think I will built one like it.  Thanks  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down