Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anatomic Grip Advice Needed

+3
Chris Miceli
orpheoet
dsandula
7 posters

Go down

Anatomic Grip Advice Needed Empty Anatomic Grip Advice Needed

Post by dsandula 5/7/2017, 5:18 pm

Please give advice regarding anatomic grips from Randall Fung (are there others?) and if they really help.  I'd likely want a set for my Model 41 and 1911's in 38 & 45.

With advice from Jon Eulette and CR10X, concentrating on training to find what a good shot looks like and focusing on the trigger, I'm shooting in the low 280's with my Model 41 in practice this spring.  I'm also training NOT to take a bad shot.  Leagues start this week and scores may drop, but I'll try to fight off the nerves.  Also, working on the 1911's in training.

I felt a guy's Fung grips on a Model 52 and they were wonderful.

dsandula

Back to top Go down

Anatomic Grip Advice Needed Empty Re: Anatomic Grip Advice Needed

Post by orpheoet 5/7/2017, 5:46 pm

I like Herrett's on my 41 and 52-2. They're both in my profile pic. 1911 I use slabs. However, I'm just an Expert. Lets see what better shooters have to say!
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 5/7/2017, 6:20 pm

dsandula wrote:Please give advice regarding anatomic grips from Randall Fung (are there others?) and if they really help.  I'd likely want a set for my Model 41 and 1911's in 38 & 45.

With advice from Jon Eulette and CR10X, concentrating on training to find what a good shot looks like and focusing on the trigger, I'm shooting in the low 280's with my Model 41 in practice this spring.  I'm also training NOT to take a bad shot.  Leagues start this week and scores may drop, but I'll try to fight off the nerves.  Also, working on the 1911's in training.

I felt a guy's Fung grips on a Model 52 and they were wonderful.
I'm pretty sure they will say shoot slabs unless you're very skilled at fitting them perfectly to your hand. Seen similar comments made in the past.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 5/7/2017, 6:51 pm

I shot a 41 with Herrett Nationals for a long time and loved them. My cap lock pistol is modeled after a 41 so it wears Herrett Nationals also. The 41 was bought as a practice/training pistol for the cap lock. Then I got into bullseye and started using it for that. Sadly I could never get it to stop jamming and got rid of it and got into a Nelson. I tried the Herett Nationals on a 45 frame and they were too big for my hand. I went with slab sides. Took some learning but it's been hard to like anything else on a 45 frame since I got used to the slab sides. 

I've tried many other options on the 41 and the cap lock and still like the Herrett Nationals for the 41. Chris is right on anatomical grips. They only work well if they are properly fitted to your hand. There is no such thing as one size fits all.
Tim:H11
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins 5/7/2017, 8:04 pm

When it comes to anatomical grips I just know what works for me and really cannot explain why it does not work.

Ana's on free pistol, 10m air pistol, Marvel conversion and M52-1.
Slabs on the .45, although they are VZ's.

I have great results with ana's on light recoiling pistols.
Not so much with the .45

Have not figured out why but really a moot point cause it is what it is for me.

YMMV;
Clarence
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet 5/7/2017, 9:33 pm

I just wanted to clarify the Herrett's I like are the Automatic Target Stocks. When you order Herrett's you send them a tracing of your shooting hand which they keep on file. Here's the pic from their website.
Anatomic Grip Advice Needed Tgtaut10
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by dsandula 5/8/2017, 6:38 am

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I'll use my energy to think about trigger control (finger position, constant pressure, etc), creating a solid mental/physical picture of what a good shot is, putting the gun down if it's not right and forget about grips for now.  I may come back to them once I've solidly reached another step up in scores.

I quickly get hung up on the next gadget that might help me.  Maybe it's a guy thing or good vs evil thing.  Stuff won't make me better, but my 2nd paragraph above will.

dsandula

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 5/9/2017, 8:26 am

I have spent a lot of time designing and working on many sets of anatomical grips.  It takes a while to learn how to fit them correctly.

I think it is very easy for folks to just jump up and blame their shooting on their grip, but really it is their trigger.

You do not NEED anatomical grips unless your hand is not capable of gripping the gun correctly.  This is almost always from hands that are too big.

Most folks just grab a grip and say "This will fix it.". Instead, the grip will put their hand in a poor position and keep it there.  They shove the palm rest up tight and snug, jam their hands into the nooks and crannies, but can't understand why they STILL can't shoot where they aim.  Don't get an ortho-grip out of laziness.  

The only anatomical thing I recommend in general is a very small thumbrest, not protruding more than a 1/4" or so.

I have a special ortho grip I made that only has three features, but is 85% slabs.  
--It has a very small protusion that just locates your thumb, it does not give any help to it.  Your thumb does not need help, most of the time, you need to tone it back.
--The right hand slab is about 3/4" longer than a normal slab.  My hand is wide and rotated into a Semi-Zins grip.  This extension keeps my hand "on the grip"
--I have a piece that builds up the front strap for my middle and ring finger only.  This was required to prevent overgripping, as these two fingers naturally wrap way around the front strap, giving my fingertips too much control.

That's it, no wierd funky cuts, no giant wing coming off the back, no palm shelf.  Everything I need and nothing I don't.

Here is pic.  The red stuff is a special modeling clay that has a lot of wax in it.  I like to use it for building things up on the grip temporarily, but I just kept it on these grips. I designed them in my CAD software and printed them on my 3D printer. I have made full blown target ortho grips before, lovingly hand-carved carved in cherry, but I dont use them anymore. The more grips I make, the more unnecessary features I find and keep paring away at them to get back to slabs.

Anatomic Grip Advice Needed IMG_0493_zps6i9shhb4
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 5/9/2017, 9:54 am

I just like the looks of my Altmount 1911 target grips.  I'm sure that won't get me any points and my slabs feel just as good, maybe better.  If you can't shoot good at least you can enjoy looking at the guns.  The fact is the fine finished target grips are to slick. Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down