So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by zanemoseley on 5/15/2017, 11:59 am

First topic message reminder :

I've always been fascinated by 1911's that shoot .38 special. I was talking to Jon and he said he's made several new ones, this was surprising since I hadn't heard of any new production .38 special 1911's. Have any of you guys got a new production .38 special 1911. Jon says they take roughly 2x the labor so they aren't cheap, might have to sell a kidney and have one built one day.

zanemoseley

Posts : 348
Join date : 2015-07-11

Back to top Go down


Re: So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by Dr.Don on 5/16/2017, 8:38 am

I've talked to Nelson and he has indeed built a 32 acp prototype.  But it takes a lot of $$ to move it to production and he does not believe it would be an economic business case.

As a separate item, I have built a 32 acp 1911 conversion unit for my own use.  It is an experiment, and it isn't ready to show here yet, but it works.  Biggest problem, as expected when I began, is magazines that will feed reliably.  When it reaches the point where I think it is worth showing, I will post the details here on the forum.
avatar
Dr.Don

Posts : 409
Join date : 2012-10-31
Location : Cedar Park, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by Chris Miceli on 5/16/2017, 8:41 am

Dr.Don wrote:I've talked to Nelson and he has indeed built a 32 acp prototype.  But it takes a lot of $$ to move it to production and he does not believe it would be an economic business case.

As a separate item, I have built a 32 acp 1911 conversion unit for my own use.  It is an experiment, and it isn't ready to show here yet, but it works.  Biggest problem, as expected when I began, is magazines that will feed reliably.  When it reaches the point where I think it is worth showing, I will post the details here on the forum.
I have a 1911 32acp (not a conversion) that I'm working on, Don seems further along than me
avatar
Chris Miceli

Posts : 1514
Join date : 2015-10-27
Location : Haymarket, VA

Back to top Go down

Re: So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by zanemoseley on 5/16/2017, 10:12 am

If Nelson would make the investment to develop the .32acp conversion and it shot as well as their .22 conversion I bet people would pay $1,000 for it.

zanemoseley

Posts : 348
Join date : 2015-07-11

Back to top Go down

Re: So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by Chris Miceli on 5/16/2017, 10:15 am

zanemoseley wrote:If Nelson would make the investment to develop the .32acp conversion and it shot as well as their .22 conversion I bet people would pay $1,000 for it.
 But how many people? Just bullseye shooters? Be we seems to be getting off topic
avatar
Chris Miceli

Posts : 1514
Join date : 2015-10-27
Location : Haymarket, VA

Back to top Go down

Re: So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by Magload on 5/16/2017, 10:29 am

Found a Clark 1911 38 Special Heavy Slide on GunBroker.  Susposted to have very few round fired but opening bid is $1600 if I remember right or he wants $2600 for it.   I would like to have it but just bought the 51-2 and a gun safe.  

BTW I would also be on the list waiting no a Nelson 32.  Don
avatar
Magload

Posts : 909
Join date : 2016-11-18
Age : 70
Location : NE Florida

Back to top Go down

Re: So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by javaduke on 5/16/2017, 1:46 pm

Nelson 32 is a great idea, perhaps those of us coming to Perry this year should ask Larry about it (hope he will be there).
Yes, it is mostly for bullseye and international cf shooters, but I suppose Nelson .22 are mostly purchased by bullseye shooters too. An average 1911 owner who wants a .22 conversion, would go for a Kimber or Advantage Arms, it's cheaper and there's no long wait.

javaduke

Posts : 147
Join date : 2012-07-04

Back to top Go down

Re: So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by LenV on 5/16/2017, 1:50 pm

Funny that you should mention Kimber. I think if I could find a way to ream/bore the barrel to 32 acp I could make the rest of the conversion work. Just a thought.

avatar
LenV

Posts : 2496
Join date : 2014-01-24
Age : 67
Location : Best state in USA

Back to top Go down

Re: So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by javaduke on 5/16/2017, 1:53 pm

LenV wrote:Funny that you should mention Kimber. I think if I could find a way to ream/bore the barrel to 32 acp I could make the rest of the conversion work. Just a thought.

I guess that would be an easy part for anyone who has access to lathe. But what about magazines and bolt face/firing pin location?

javaduke

Posts : 147
Join date : 2012-07-04

Back to top Go down

Re: So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by Chris Miceli on 5/16/2017, 2:00 pm

javaduke wrote:Nelson 32 is a great idea, perhaps those of us coming to Perry this year should ask Larry about it (hope he will be there).
Yes, it is mostly for bullseye and international cf shooters, but I suppose Nelson .22 are mostly purchased by bullseye shooters too. An average 1911 owner who wants a .22 conversion, would go for a Kimber or Advantage Arms, it's cheaper and there's no long wait.
We might be able to convince Larry if we could put together a 1,000 unit commitment
avatar
Chris Miceli

Posts : 1514
Join date : 2015-10-27
Location : Haymarket, VA

Back to top Go down

Re: So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by Magload on 5/16/2017, 2:10 pm

Chris Miceli wrote:
javaduke wrote:Nelson 32 is a great idea, perhaps those of us coming to Perry this year should ask Larry about it (hope he will be there).
Yes, it is mostly for bullseye and international cf shooters, but I suppose Nelson .22 are mostly purchased by bullseye shooters too. An average 1911 owner who wants a .22 conversion, would go for a Kimber or Advantage Arms, it's cheaper and there's no long wait.
We might be able to convince Larry if we could put together a 1,000 unit commitment
Is there ehat many BE shooters left in the World?  I only want one.  Don
avatar
Magload

Posts : 909
Join date : 2016-11-18
Age : 70
Location : NE Florida

Back to top Go down

Re: So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by javaduke on 5/16/2017, 2:13 pm

Magload wrote:Is there ehat many BE shooters left in the World?  I only want one.  Don

Well, some people may need more than one. Say, one with irons for the international cf, one with rail for bullseye, and maybe another one for a child or a significant one Smile

javaduke

Posts : 147
Join date : 2012-07-04

Back to top Go down

Re: So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by Wobbley on 5/16/2017, 5:52 pm

Wouldn't it be easier to make a "32" based on a 30 Luger for the 1911 then load it down to 32 ACP?

Wobbley

Posts : 1006
Join date : 2015-02-12

Back to top Go down

Re: So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by LenV on 5/16/2017, 8:16 pm

Wobbley wrote:Wouldn't it be easier to make a "32" based on a 30 Luger for the 1911 then load it down to 32 ACP?
Not sure what you mean but CF has to be at least 32 caliber.
avatar
LenV

Posts : 2496
Join date : 2014-01-24
Age : 67
Location : Best state in USA

Back to top Go down

Re: So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by Tim:H11 on 5/16/2017, 8:18 pm

LenV wrote:
Wobbley wrote:Wouldn't it be easier to make a "32" based on a 30 Luger for the 1911 then load it down to 32 ACP?
Not sure what you mean but CF has to be at least 32 caliber.

Take a Luger and have bored and rifled or rebarreled for 32 instead of 30.
avatar
Tim:H11

Posts : 914
Join date : 2015-11-04
Age : 29
Location : TN

Back to top Go down

Re: So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by Dr.Don on 5/16/2017, 9:10 pm

It is debatable, but I do not believe the 32 acp round has enough energy to reliably operate a locked breech action like the 1911, especially not one that has been tightened up for accuracy.  The target guns I am aware of in this caliber are blowback designs, as is the 1911 variant I have been working on.
avatar
Dr.Don

Posts : 409
Join date : 2012-10-31
Location : Cedar Park, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by Caster3845 on 5/16/2017, 9:14 pm

Has anybody thought about the pros and cons of a 380 on a 1911 platform?


Last edited by Caster3845 on 5/16/2017, 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed 1011 to 1911)
avatar
Caster3845

Posts : 43
Join date : 2015-02-21
Location : Lisbon, IA

Back to top Go down

Re: So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by CR10X on 5/17/2017, 5:50 am

Per the rules, the .30 Luger would qualify, as the nominal bullet diameter is 7.85 mm.


3.2 Any Center Fire Pistol or Revolver - Center-fire pistols (single shot or semi-automatic)) or revolvers of .32 caliber or larger (including 7.65 mm and .45 caliber pistols and revolvers); barrel......



7.65 mm is  0.30118110236220474 inches.   I had to check this years ago with NRA when people started shooting .32 acp as the nominal bullet diameter for that round is 0.3125 inches and someone questioned use in Centerfire Matches.  The NRA really should just change the wording to the nominal bullet diameter and not use the general cartridge names.  


CR

CR10X

Posts : 548
Join date : 2011-06-17
Location : NC

Back to top Go down

Re: So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by fpk on 6/3/2017, 7:46 pm

Has anyone considered making a new upper/bolt/barrel for a Mark IV in 32 ACP? Seems the only real issue is that there is only about .055 of steel between the hinge cut and the bottom of the chamber.

fpk

Posts : 46
Join date : 2017-04-26
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

Re: So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by LenV on 6/3/2017, 10:56 pm

I can think of a couple of other problems. Designing the magazine to fit in existing frame and the biggy would be that the barrel is the part with the serial number. There is a manufacturer here in Oregon that makes alternate barrels for MK III's so he might be able to tool up. The frame is plastic so magazine space could/might be worked around also. The Nelson looks like it would be the easiest from an armchair perspective.
avatar
LenV

Posts : 2496
Join date : 2014-01-24
Age : 67
Location : Best state in USA

Back to top Go down

Re: So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by LenV on 6/3/2017, 11:05 pm

Caster3845 wrote:Has anybody thought about the pros and cons of a 380 on a 1911 platform?
Meant to get back to you sooner. Pros of course would be recoil. Cons are already here. We can load the 9mm on a 1911 frame down to 380 performance levels. We can even load it with 90gr or less bullets. It just seems that we have to get to upper end 9mm velocities before the round is accurate.

Len
avatar
LenV

Posts : 2496
Join date : 2014-01-24
Age : 67
Location : Best state in USA

Back to top Go down

Re: So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by zanemoseley on 6/3/2017, 11:13 pm

LenV wrote:I can think of a couple of other problems. Designing the magazine to fit in existing frame and the biggy would be that the barrel is the part with the serial number. There is a manufacturer here in Oregon that makes alternate barrels for MK III's so he might be able to tool up. The frame is plastic so magazine space could/might be worked around also. The Nelson looks like it would be the easiest from an armchair perspective.

Not quite correct, the serial number is on the upper receiver not the barrel. I own a Volquartsen Olympic, the only stock ruger part is the upper receiver and magazines, the magazines have a special base to adapt to the volquartsen 1911 angle lower receiver. The barrel is a Volquartsen barrel with no serial number.

zanemoseley

Posts : 348
Join date : 2015-07-11

Back to top Go down

Re: So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by LenV on 6/3/2017, 11:59 pm

Big change between the III and IV. I can still see a magazine problem though. While I was doing a little research something jumped up and grabbed my attention. How about a brand new Colt in 32 acp? Just add optics. And make accurate etc etc. Just didn't know they were making these.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/651066355


avatar
LenV

Posts : 2496
Join date : 2014-01-24
Age : 67
Location : Best state in USA

Back to top Go down

Re: So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by Magload on 6/4/2017, 8:34 am

LenV wrote:Big change between the III and IV. I can still see a magazine problem though. While I was doing a little research something jumped up and grabbed my attention. How about a brand new Colt in 32 acp? Just add optics. And make accurate etc etc. Just didn't know they were making these.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/651066355


I think the term pocket pistol tells me that even with a optic it isn't going to be a 10X gun at least in most shooters hands.  Then I might be wrong I often am.  Don
avatar
Magload

Posts : 909
Join date : 2016-11-18
Age : 70
Location : NE Florida

Back to top Go down

Re: So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by JayhawkNavy02 on 6/4/2017, 9:23 am

Magload wrote:
I think the term pocket pistol tells me that even with a optic it isn't going to be a 10X gun at least in most shooters hands.  Then I might be wrong I often am.  Don

Aaaaahhhhh, come on.  I'm with Lenn.  Just have a KKM barrel and bomar sights installed, a roll trigger from KC along with Accu-Rails and for sure you can win Nationals. Probably should pick up some good custom Rink ergo grips as well. Wink
avatar
JayhawkNavy02

Posts : 575
Join date : 2014-03-01
Location : San Diego

Back to top Go down

Re: So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by Magload on 6/4/2017, 10:18 am

Yep a 5" barrel who cares if a 1.25" is sticking out the front.  that is a lot less then if you put a can on the barrel.  Heck you only need two fingers to grip anyway I am sure the stock grips will do.  I own a nice 380 pocket pistol maybe we can start a BE BUG Division.  Don
avatar
Magload

Posts : 909
Join date : 2016-11-18
Age : 70
Location : NE Florida

Back to top Go down

Re: So who is shooting a 1911 .38 special?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum