Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

coating on 22 bullets

+3
AllAces
cdrt
Lightfoot
7 posters

Go down

coating on 22 bullets Empty coating on 22 bullets

Post by Lightfoot Mon May 22, 2017 11:13 am

At the range I practice at, there is a rule that all bullets must be plated or jacketed.  Copper washed are ok with them and I got them to approve the browning bpr bullet that notes "black oxide coating".  But I suspect that many standard velocity bullets are black due to some type of coating.  Few 22 bullets are silvery lead, most are black and some are very shiny black.  Does anyone know if these are actually coated?  I'd really like to use standard velocity in the practice range.
Lightfoot
Lightfoot

Back to top Go down

coating on 22 bullets Empty Re: coating on 22 bullets

Post by cdrt Mon May 22, 2017 12:06 pm

CCI coats their std velocity stuff with something they call "black lead".  It is not a "plating" but more of a coating to differentiate it from their plated .22 bullets.  The bullet manufacture part on the video below starts around minute number 7.  They also coat the bullet with a wax (around minute 5) in the final stage of production just before packaging.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rCZHG_eEak
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces Mon May 22, 2017 1:06 pm

That "plating" you see on some .22 ammo is not plating, but a thin copper wash. Once fired, the rifling removes much of the copper wash as it acts somewhat as a lubricant. Berry makes some plated bullets that is thicker than the wash, thick enough that the rifling in center fire pistols generally do not cut through to the lead. I tested some of their plated bullets in .38 and .45 several years back and they would not group as well as the equivalent jacketed bullets.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett Mon May 22, 2017 1:14 pm

If'n it was me I'd find me a different range!

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Mon May 22, 2017 1:21 pm

This might work. I wonder why they don't have a list of approved ammo. I also never heard about worrying if the .22 was plated. Every range is different I suppose.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018018668/winchester-m-22-subsonic-ammunition-22-long-rifle-45-grain-black-plated-lead-round-nose
coating on 22 bullets 245161
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces Mon May 22, 2017 1:24 pm

Allen Barnett wrote:If'n it was me I'd find me a different range!
Yep, me too. I shot at a club a few years back that shut down a shotgun range because of one person's complaint. At the same club the range committee was constantly messing with the range rules to the point that you didn't know the rules from month to month. At one point they changed the rules such that law enforcement members could not shoot because the rules prohibited holstered guns at the range.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett Mon May 22, 2017 1:42 pm

Yeah I know what you mean about the rules stuff.  Last year I went to a match where you had to enter a code to get through the gate.  Well the code would not work!  As regular members came up they would go through the gate but would not let me in because of club rules.  Hell of a way to treat a guest that has driven 3 plus hours to get there and they knew you were coming.  Had to wait almost an hour before someone from the match staff finally came up to let me through and I got there just as the 3 minute prep period began.  Needless to say I have not been back and don't plan on going back.  The match director and I had a long discussion before I left.

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett Mon May 22, 2017 1:45 pm

Sorry that I got so far off topic the politically correctness thingy just really gets me going

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by Lightfoot Mon May 22, 2017 2:00 pm

Unfortunately this range is the only one within reasonable distance.  It's a nice place with target returns so I don't have to worry about going down range in front of shooters with questionable experience. I think prohibiting 22 lead is not effective since the copper wash is not thick enough to keep lead from being exposed, but it's not my rules.  I'll try some of the m-22 if i can find it.
Lightfoot
Lightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Mon May 22, 2017 2:27 pm

I shot many plated and coated bullets for two years from several different companies and they are great shooting the SD stuff like IDPA but I can't get them to group at the LL.  They will do for practice at the SL but I wouldn't shoot them in a match as my score is low enough with good bullets.  I am working on shooting up a thousand X Treme plated 38 SPL DEWCs indoors at 20yds.  All I can say is I shoot them better one handed then all the people shooting their ARs two handed.  At 10yds two hands I can keep them in a 1" bull.  Will be glad when they are gone.  Hey they do look petty seated flush in a polished 38 case.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Mon May 22, 2017 2:58 pm

Lightfoot wrote:Unfortunately this range is the only one within reasonable distance.  It's a nice place with target returns so I don't have to worry about going down range in front of shooters with questionable experience. I think prohibiting 22 lead is not effective since the copper wash is not thick enough to keep lead from being exposed, but it's not my rules.  I'll try some of the m-22 if i can find it.
That link I gave you was for in stock m-22. They are waiting on the 800 rd boxes but appear to have lots of the 100 rd stuff. NFI

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by bdas Mon May 22, 2017 3:58 pm

It's not the cheapest ammo around, but if black oxide coating is allowed, then Eley Edge is black oxide coated standard-velocity ammo...
http://www.eley.co.uk/eley-edge

Prices... http://ammoseek.com/ammo/22lr/Eley?ikw=edge

Not too bad if you just want to buy a box or two to see how it does, but I wouldn't want to pay that much for my regular practice ammo.  But then again, if it's the only range around, I suppose I'd rather pay that than not shoot at all.  People pay $12+ per box of 50 for ammo in other calibers all the time.

Dave

bdas

http://guns.dsttr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down