Nu Finish + Tumbling Brass

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nu Finish + Tumbling Brass

Post by retfed on 5/23/2017, 7:40 am

Been using Nu Finish in my tumbler for a long time. Did a search here for Nu Finish, with no results.

I add about a capful when I change out the corncob, or when cleaning seems to take longer than expected for the shine I want. But it is so thick, it glogs out, and it's almost impossible to "stream" into the running tumbler. I'd like to thin it out to get better distribution in the tumbler.

You apply Nu Finish with a damp cloth to a car, but it sure won't dilute with water.  Mixed some 50/50 with mineral spirits but it :curdled in the bottle and looked like cheese curds (after being stored for a while).  

I tried to contact Nu Finish online, but couldn't Find a spot, except under "questions?  read the "FAQ's section". Anybody have better luck with a "magic" solvent??  

Retfed

Email  SCLOU171@gmail.com

retfed

Back to top Go down

Re: Nu Finish + Tumbling Brass

Post by Gary Wells on 5/23/2017, 8:52 am

Nu Finish automotive polish:
For best results: Don't thin nor dilute in any manner.
Drop about 50-60 drops into the media spaced as evenly as possible without any cases in it. Run about 30 mins. Toss the cases in. Return in a few hours.

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 on 5/23/2017, 9:17 am

I just use a cap full and spread it around. Turn the tumbler on for a few minutes prior to dropping in the brass same as Gary..

Just don't dump it all in one place
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by farmboy on 5/23/2017, 7:39 pm

I use this bottle. Squirts a thin even stream. You still have to let it mix for 15 min or so or it will collect in side the brass. 

https://www.amazon.com/Rehab-Ink-Tattoo-Plastic-Squeeze/dp/B010GJGEBI/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&qid=1495586052&sr=8-36-spons&keywords=squirt+bottles+for+condiments&psc=1
farmboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens on 6/1/2017, 8:32 am

Been using NuFinish in a vibratory "tumbler" for probably more than a decade...

I take the orange bottle it comes in and transfer that to your typical French's Mustard bottle or similar.  You know the one I mean... with the cone shaped pointy twist cap top?  I shake it vigorously and then squirt a short loop around the loaded bowl... loaded with brass and media.

I start with empty tumbler bowl. Toss in 2-3 squares of cut-up paper towel. Add one Country Crock sized bucket of brass, pour corn media over that and drip a thin circle of NuFinish on every load.  Use the lamp timer to run it for 3 hours.

The paper towel squares come out -FILTHY- and the brass comes out great.

No -- it will never ever EVER look as awesome as brass tumbled with stainless steel pins and won't ever approach sonic cleaned brass, but I'm more than okay with that.  And FWIW, never, will I ever venture in to stainless steel pins or sonic cleaning.  That is never going to happen.

Sevens

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload on 6/1/2017, 8:58 am

I have all 3 systems and use all 3 when doing a load of .223 bench rest brass but the vibratory is good enough for handgun loads.  I sometimes let it run 8 hours or more and they then are very well polished.  Don
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 on 6/1/2017, 9:00 am

I use dryer sheets instead of the paper towels.. helps with the dust
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley on 6/1/2017, 9:57 am

Dryer sheets or paper towels for dust.  Pretty much interchangeable.  When I tumble in dry media I've used Flitz for years.

Wobbley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens on 6/1/2017, 12:16 pm

Flitz is expensive stuff.  Are we talking the creme-paste in a tube?  Not that NuFinish is cheap, but it must be far less costly than Flitz.

Sevens

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload on 6/1/2017, 12:18 pm

Turtle Wax works for me.  Don
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike on 6/1/2017, 6:11 pm

Wobbley wrote:Dryer sheets or paper towels for dust.  Pretty much interchangeable.  When I tumble in dry media I've used Flitz for years.
I bought a large bottle of liquid Flitz many, many years ago. I just polished some really cruddy, old range brass using just a little with ground walnut shells. I left them overnight in my (I'm telling my age) Lortone QT-12 tumbler I bought from Gil Hebard Guns. They came out sparkling. I also use the liquid Flitz to polish my wife's silver coffee and tea service.
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum