Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What about a pellet pistol as an inexpensive way to train for the .22?

+2
Magload
LenV
6 posters

Go down

What about a pellet pistol as an inexpensive way to train for the .22? Empty What about a pellet pistol as an inexpensive way to train for the .22?

Post by Guest 5/24/2017, 8:06 am

I have been using a heavy pellet pistol to practice trigger pull, sight picture control, and building my arm up to hold a pistol out for extended periods. It seems like a form of weight training. The pistol is heavier. The trigger pull is heavier. And the length of trigger pull is much longer. Also, it is much less expensive, and it can be done inside.  Here is what I'm talking about:

Benjamin Trail Nitro Piston Break Barrel Air Pistol (.177) -low recoil $63.99
2.5 x 19.9 x 10.5 inches,  
4.5 lb with sight,  
3 lb trigger pull, 
3/4" trigger rearward travel

Tasco .22 Rimfire 1x30mm 5 MOA Red Dot Riflescope $45.28
Umarex RWS 2315014 Competition 500 Rounds 8.2 Grain Air Gun Pellets, 0.177 Caliber, Silver $16.00

$63.99 COST OF GUN 
$61.28 ACCESSORIES
$125.27 GUN TOTAL

Umarex RWS 2315014 Competition 500 Rounds 8.2 Grain Air Gun Pellets, 0.177 Caliber, Silver
$16.00
$0.03 per round of high quality ammo

What about a pellet pistol as an inexpensive way to train for the .22? Benjamin-Trail-NP-BreakBarrel-Air-Pistol

Back to top Go down

What about a pellet pistol as an inexpensive way to train for the .22? Empty Re: What about a pellet pistol as an inexpensive way to train for the .22?

Post by LenV 5/24/2017, 8:23 am

For a few dollars more you can have one that is accurate too Smile

What about a pellet pistol as an inexpensive way to train for the .22? Dscf0211
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

What about a pellet pistol as an inexpensive way to train for the .22? Empty Re: What about a pellet pistol as an inexpensive way to train for the .22?

Post by Guest 5/24/2017, 8:32 am

LenV wrote:For a few dollars more you can have one that is accurate too Smile

I didn't see it at http://www.pyramydair.com. I see it's a Gamo. What's the model name, please?

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 5/24/2017, 8:42 am

wesleytilson@gmail.com wrote:
LenV wrote:For a few dollars more you can have one that is accurate too Smile

I didn't see it at http://www.pyramydair.com. I see it's a Gamo. What's the model name, please?
It is no longer a Gamo it is a Air Venruri V10.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 5/24/2017, 8:47 am

I like my V 10 but think I need better pellets as these Crosman Super March are just tearing holes and I have to look where the WC left a lead colored pring on the target.  They work fine in my Gamo Whisper rifle.  Andrew is making me a set of slab grips at a 1911 angle which will help because my BE guns are all 1911 frames.   BTW the trigger is adjustable.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins 5/24/2017, 6:24 pm

Clean holes in an air pistol target need good paper, wadcutter pellets and pellet velocity.
Better target paper is from Edelmann, Kruger and Eggerdruck; or a good backer for your other target paper.
Air pistols are usually around just north of 500fps, others are around 400fps which will cause tearing.
As long as it is a wadcutter pellet you are good to go.
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 5/24/2017, 7:05 pm

C.Perkins wrote:Clean holes in an air pistol target need good paper, wadcutter pellets and pellet velocity.
Better target paper is from Edelmann, Kruger and Eggerdruck; or a good backer for your other target paper.
Air pistols are usually around just north of 500fps, others are around 400fps which will cause tearing.
As long as it is a wadcutter pellet you are good to go.

These targets are printed on a petty heavy paper.  I got them from one of the leading target companies so it is not the target.  The V 10 velocity is in the low 400s and Crosman never even bothered to put the weight of these WCs on the tin they came in.  I tried some Crosman HPs to day and they worked a lot better.  I had a bunch of these pellets as that is what Walmart has but will change to something better and shoot these in my rifle.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins 5/24/2017, 7:19 pm

It has nothing to do with HEAVY paper, it is how the paper is made.
Heavy construction paper will tear.
Why do you think better target paper is more expensive ?
Cause it is made for that discipline.

What targets you are using ?
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 5/24/2017, 7:54 pm

C.Perkins wrote:It has nothing to do with HEAVY paper, it is how the paper is made.
Heavy construction paper will tear.
Why do you think better target paper is more expensive ?
Cause it is made for that discipline.

What targets you are using ?

NRA B-40 from American Target Co.  They are being hung by a clip from the top of the bullet trap.  The shooting line is at 10 meters.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins 5/24/2017, 8:22 pm

I use ATC for 50ft, 25yd and 50yd targets using .22, .38 and .45
But, 10m air pistol is a whole different animal.
Your target is swinging in the breeze.
Stiffen it up by using a backer or place it in a box that holds the target in place at both opposite sides.
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 5/24/2017, 8:30 pm

C.Perkins wrote:I use ATC for 50ft, 25yd and 50yd targets using .22, .38 and .45
But, 10m air pistol is a whole different animal.
Your target is swinging in the breeze.
Stiffen it up by using a backer or place it in a box that holds the target in place at both opposite sides.

That is what I think is the problem also and have tried several backers.  I do believe that a clip at the bottom would work or a frame to slip the target into.  I am using this gun to learn to shoot irons better and to keep the trigger moving.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 5/24/2017, 8:32 pm

Wesley I didn't mean to take over your posr and hope some of this info is a help to you.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/25/2017, 12:33 am

Magload wrote:Wesley I didn't mean to take over your posr and hope some of this info is a help to you.  Don
Don't mind at all. Any wisdom is helpful. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 5/25/2017, 6:11 am

A piece of corrugated cardboard helps, but the ATC targets are lacking in crispness for sure. I am shooting mine up and will get something nicer next time.

I like my pellet pistols too. I started with a cheap Crosman 1322 pump pistol. I have some much nicer pellet pistols now, but I still like to shoot it. It is very accurate for a $45 pistol. I upgraded to a CO2 pistol, but don't shoot it nearly as much as the pump.

An IZH-46 is a nice find if you can get one used somewhere. A great intro to a more serious level of performance and quality. I really enjoy mine, especially now that the grip is carved to fit.

I also have a Steyr LP50 and it is pretty incredible. It also costs about 50 times what the Crosman did. I designed and 3dprinted a set of 1911 grips. I also have a dot and heavier trigger on it.

I set up a 10-meter range in the driveway using B-40 targets for the IZH-46 or a 25-ft range diagonally in the garage using TQ-6 NRA targets for the LP50.

I often raise my actual Bullseye guns at the range and think "Shoot like the the air pistol. Shoot like the air pistol.". To help me get in the proper mindset for Slow Fire.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 5/25/2017, 8:42 am

I've been wondering if a Chiappa FAS6007 would be worth purchasing.
Seems QA is a little sloppy on them, but they're a reproduction of a good pistol, and there's good information on how to bring them up to good spec.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 5/25/2017, 8:54 am

I have a FAS 6004 and it's a good beginner pistol... Trigger is good but the pistol needs a touch of work(easy to do) to help gas seal.. There are several articles on Target talk that cover the mods.  they work.

esthetically I love the pistol's look... the other inexpensive option is the Air Venturi V10.. I haven't played with one but it's less $$ than the FAS..
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 5/25/2017, 8:56 am

BTW I found that the High standard 22 front sights that use a slot will fit the FAS so with a bit of machine work I'll have a longer front sight( and wider)
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down