Moon Clip Question, new user

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Moon Clip Question, new user

Post by Magload on Sat May 27, 2017 3:57 pm

Does the finished, rounded side go against the cylinder or the flat side.  Going to build a loader tomorrow and fill the 10 clips I have as the 25-2 will be here Tuesday.  I am really excited about shooting it.  Don
avatar
Magload

Posts : 854
Join date : 2016-11-18
Age : 70
Location : NE Florida

Back to top Go down

Re: Moon Clip Question, new user

Post by kjanracing on Sat May 27, 2017 4:05 pm

I've never paid any attention to that. I just load them and have fun!
avatar
kjanracing

Posts : 117
Join date : 2015-02-17
Location : Arvada, Colorado

Back to top Go down

Re: Moon Clip Question, new user

Post by LenV on Sat May 27, 2017 4:23 pm

I put the shiny side out cause it looks pretty. Functionally I can't imagine any difference.

Len
avatar
LenV

Posts : 2417
Join date : 2014-01-24
Age : 67
Location : Oargun

Back to top Go down

Re: Moon Clip Question, new user

Post by Recurvist22 on Sat May 27, 2017 4:27 pm

I would use the flat side against the cylinder. Just like in a common bolt and washer application, most people don't realize that there is a flat side and that it goes against the part being bolted to to provide more constant contact with the part.

Recurvist22

Posts : 48
Join date : 2016-08-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Moon Clip Question, new user

Post by LenV on Sat May 27, 2017 5:35 pm

I also don't recommend putting them in the sonic cleaner. There won't be a shiny side or even a black side. Don't ask.


Len
avatar
LenV

Posts : 2417
Join date : 2014-01-24
Age : 67
Location : Oargun

Back to top Go down

Re: Moon Clip Question, new user

Post by JIMPGOV on Sat May 27, 2017 10:54 pm

A FRIEND OF MINE AND I BOTH HAD .45 ACP PPC REVOLVERS BUILT. WE'VE TRIED ABOUT EVERYTHING ON THE MARKET. MOONCLIPS.COM MAKE THE BEST MOONCLIPS PERIOD. EXPENSIVE BUT WORTH EVERY PENNY.

http://www.moonclips.com/

AS FAR AS THE LOADER, UN-LOADER , THE BEST WE'VE FOUND IS THE BMT ( BETTER MOUSE TRAP). ONCE AGAIN EXPENSIVE BUT REALLY WORTH EVERY PENNY.

http://www.bmtequipped.com/

JP

JIMPGOV

Posts : 220
Join date : 2011-09-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Moon Clip Question, new user

Post by Bigtrout on Sun May 28, 2017 8:30 am

The moonclips I use for 9mm are placed with the punch, or flat, side against the breech/recoil shield.  The reasoning is twofold; to keep the sharp edges away from the cylinder face and provide the most surface area for headspace.  It maybe makes no difference but my OCD won't let me do otherwise.
avatar
Bigtrout

Posts : 180
Join date : 2015-06-21
Age : 76
Location : Richmond, VT

Back to top Go down

Re: Moon Clip Question, new user

Post by JIMPGOV on Sun May 28, 2017 8:34 am

THAT'S WAY MOONCLIPS.COM ARE BETTER . THE ARE WIRE EDM CUT, NOT STAMPED. BOTH SIDES ARE PERFECTLY EVEN . NO NEED TO WORRY WHAT WAY IS FACING THE RECOIL SHIELD. JP

JIMPGOV

Posts : 220
Join date : 2011-09-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Moon Clip Question, new user

Post by Sc0 on Sun May 28, 2017 10:13 am

Flat side to cylinder for the reasons stated above.  Also, Ranchproducts make some quality and affordable stainless moon clips.  I bought enough to cover the centerfire and .45 stages and still had money to buy some 2x clips that hold two rounds together for practice or carry.  For loading and unloading i use the mooncliptool and have the arbor adapters for the different S&W frame sizes, (has two holes at the bottom to demoon as well).

(For my 586/627 i went to Moonclips.com for a tighter fit on my Starline brass.)

Sc0

Posts : 81
Join date : 2013-12-29
Location : Houston, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: Moon Clip Question, new user

Post by Bigtrout on Sun May 28, 2017 12:51 pm

LenV wrote:I also don't recommend putting them in the sonic cleaner. There won't be a shiny side or even a black side. Don't ask.


Len
Thanks, Len.  I did toy with the idea of sonic cleaning but glad I didn't.  I use a stiff toothbrush and scrub both sides after cleaning the gun making sure I don't put that brush near the bath sink when done.  The brush handle makes a great arbor for manually loading, then removing the spent cases with a .30-06 case.
avatar
Bigtrout

Posts : 180
Join date : 2015-06-21
Age : 76
Location : Richmond, VT

Back to top Go down

Re: Moon Clip Question, new user

Post by Magload on Sun May 28, 2017 1:04 pm

Just finished making a moon clip loader.  As I have never used a good one I have nothing to compare it to.  I would suspect that it gets a 3 on a scale of 10.  Just spent to much this month to spend $84 on the one Amazon has.  I will try to get along with this one for a while,  Don
avatar
Magload

Posts : 854
Join date : 2016-11-18
Age : 70
Location : NE Florida

Back to top Go down

Re: Moon Clip Question, new user

Post by ChipEck on Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:51 pm

JIMPGOV wrote:A FRIEND OF MINE AND I BOTH HAD .45 ACP PPC REVOLVERS BUILT. WE'VE TRIED ABOUT EVERYTHING ON THE MARKET. MOONCLIPS.COM MAKE THE BEST MOONCLIPS PERIOD. EXPENSIVE BUT WORTH EVERY PENNY.

http://www.moonclips.com/

AS FAR AS THE LOADER, UN-LOADER , THE BEST WE'VE FOUND IS THE BMT ( BETTER MOUSE TRAP). ONCE AGAIN EXPENSIVE BUT REALLY WORTH EVERY PENNY.

http://www.bmtequipped.com/

JP
Thanks for this information!
Chip
avatar
ChipEck

Posts : 146
Join date : 2015-11-15
Location : Wisconsin

Back to top Go down

Re: Moon Clip Question, new user

Post by Magload on Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:00 pm

Well my DIY moon clip loader worked but that is all i am going to say good about it.  I ordered the one from the Dillion catalog and it is great.  Also ordered 20 more clips and these are flat on both sides.  I did have 2 out of the 20 that had a loose slot but still had 5 good slots so used them anyway.  I tighten up my crimp a little just to the poiny where you can't feel the edge of the brass and they are dropping right in now.  Don
avatar
Magload

Posts : 854
Join date : 2016-11-18
Age : 70
Location : NE Florida

Back to top Go down

Re: Moon Clip Question, new user

Post by gregbenner on Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:08 pm

I have a new 625, also new to moonclips. I have the ones that came with the gun (S&W?) as well as some pricey ones from TK and plastic ones by RIMZ.  Both the S&W and TK seem flat on both sides, whereas the plastic RimZ have a defined slot on one side for the shell. 

I loaded some of the RIMZ on the wrong side and the cylinder wouldn't close.  I don't really like these, but they would likely be convenient if one was loading them at the range, or didn't have a mooner. 

All in all, i really like the moonclip idea, I am thinking i will get the cylinder on my 686 machined so i can use them on it as well.

I also purchased the Dillon mooner/demooner as well as a demooner only from Brownells.Both work well, although the Browne;;s demooner is easire at demooning than the Dillon combo tool.

gregbenner

Posts : 162
Join date : 2016-10-29
Location : San Diegp area

Back to top Go down

Re: Moon Clip Question, new user

Post by Magload on Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:19 pm

gregbenner wrote:I have a new 625, also new to moonclips. I have the ones that came with the gun (S&W?) as well as some pricey ones from TK and plastic ones by RIMZ.  Both the S&W and TK seem flat on both sides, whereas the plastic RimZ have a defined slot on one side for the shell. 

I loaded some of the RIMZ on the wrong side and the cylinder wouldn't close.  I don't really like these, but they would likely be convenient if one was loading them at the range, or didn't have a mooner. 

All in all, i really like the moonclip idea, I am thinking i will get the cylinder on my 686 machined so i can use them on it as well.

I also purchased the Dillon mooner/demooner as well as a demooner only from Brownells.Both work well, although the Browne;;s demooner is easire at demooning than the Dillon combo tool.
I had problems with demooning with the CCW tool from Dillion at first till I noticed relief cut on one side of the tool now I can pop them out petty fast.  Don
avatar
Magload

Posts : 854
Join date : 2016-11-18
Age : 70
Location : NE Florida

Back to top Go down

Re: Moon Clip Question, new user

Post by ChipEck on Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:43 pm

ChipEck wrote:
JIMPGOV wrote:A FRIEND OF MINE AND I BOTH HAD .45 ACP PPC REVOLVERS BUILT. WE'VE TRIED ABOUT EVERYTHING ON THE MARKET. MOONCLIPS.COM MAKE THE BEST MOONCLIPS PERIOD. EXPENSIVE BUT WORTH EVERY PENNY.

http://www.moonclips.com/

AS FAR AS THE LOADER, UN-LOADER , THE BEST WE'VE FOUND IS THE BMT ( BETTER MOUSE TRAP). ONCE AGAIN EXPENSIVE BUT REALLY WORTH EVERY PENNY.

http://www.bmtequipped.com/

JP
Thanks for this information!
Chip
Just got my loader/unloaded from BMT Equipped.......damn, that is one slick invention! :-)
Chip
avatar
ChipEck

Posts : 146
Join date : 2015-11-15
Location : Wisconsin

Back to top Go down

Re: Moon Clip Question, new user

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum