Practice with turning target versus bullseye timer app?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Practice with turning target versus bullseye timer app?

Post by zanemoseley on 6/2/2017, 12:09 pm

I'm still debating on whether or not I want to drop cash on a turning target system. Coach Dave's system is a bit over $500 and seems to work as intended, perhaps not the best looking alternative but 1/3 the cost of the really nice ones. Of those of you that have practiced with both a turning target and the bullseye timer app do you feel its worth the cost and hassle of the turning target? I will have to haul the target to my local range for each use where the app is easy (just take headphones and my phone).

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Re: Practice with turning target versus bullseye timer app?

Post by Chris Miceli on 6/2/2017, 12:32 pm

You must learn to shoot the turn
Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette on 6/2/2017, 2:42 pm

I broke 2650 never training on turning targets. I broke 2650 never/rarely practicing 50 yds. Learn to pull the trigger! No gimmicks to shooting well. I think the mind is the most powerful training aid. Turning targets or laser training systems (whatever) are over rated. It has to happen in the mind before it can happen on the target. Everything a BE shooter needs can be found in dry firing and reinforcing it in live fire. So I don't think you need the turning target system.
Jon
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli on 6/2/2017, 2:51 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:I broke 2650 never training on turning targets. I broke 2650 never/rarely practicing 50 yds. Learn to pull the trigger! No gimmicks to shooting well. I think the mind is the most powerful training aid. Turning targets or laser training systems (whatever) are over rated. It has to happen in the mind before it can happen on the target. Everything a BE shooter needs can be found in dry firing and reinforcing it in live fire. So I don't think you need the turning target system.
Jon
This dudes better than me, listen to him
Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley on 6/2/2017, 3:31 pm

Dang Jon, 2650 with no turning target. Geez

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by sixftunda on 6/2/2017, 3:41 pm

I have a turning target.  I needed it to break 2600.  At the time I was not competing every weekend.  Right now I am shooting at least one match per weekend, sometimes two.  The only thing I do during the week is blank wall dry fire.  If I couldn't shoot every weekend I would be using it on my off weeks. 

If you aren't shooting a match every weekend then I would say you need one.
sixftunda

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike on 6/2/2017, 4:42 pm

Everyone is different, with different strengths and weaknesses. If you have identified, through a diary, that sustained fire is a weakness, i.e., getting the first shot off at a match or other identifiable problem, then turning targets may help. Most coaches believe in having your training mirror match conditions. Apparently though, it's different strokes for different folks. What works for a military team member or another who is a high master, may not be appropriate for a marksman or sharpshooter. If you have laid out a reasonable training program for yourself, that you are following and are taking advantage of a shooting diary and written shot plan, you'll be able to answer your own question, as to the value of any additional training aids. Of course a good coach, which most of us don't have the luxury of having, can be the best training aid.
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by fpk on 6/2/2017, 6:13 pm

I've recently discovered Ed Hall's site, which amount the treasure trove is this:

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/turningsystemnew.html

If you are at all mechanically inclined, this looks really easy to build.

fpk

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley on 6/2/2017, 6:19 pm

fpk wrote:I've recently discovered Ed Hall's site, which amount the treasure trove is this:

The hard part doesn't appear to be the turning assembly itself. The hard part is getting a controller that will read commands and actuate your target.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by fpk on 6/2/2017, 6:23 pm

zanemoseley wrote:
fpk wrote:I've recently discovered Ed Hall's site, which amount the treasure trove is this:

The hard part doesn't appear to be the turning assembly itself. The hard part is getting a controller that will read commands and actuate your target.
That doesn't seem that hard to fix with a NEMA stepper and some gears. Now I'm intrigued and will see if I can design something that would work.

fpk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 on 6/2/2017, 6:53 pm

I would LOVE my own personal turning target system on my home range but I'm not going to drop the money on it. I shot 2594 at the regionals. A personal best. I started shooting full 2700's a little under a year ago. I had no turning targets to practice with and still don't. Only time I shoot em is at a match. With a turning target I find just hold middle of the edge of the board. When it turns, fine tune the shot and make it a good one. All the time in the world to get it right. Don't rush it. My problem in the beginning was I'd hammer that first shot trying to ambush the target and not waste time. You got PLENTY of time. Pick your shots. Take your time. Biggest advice that has worked yet for me was to slow down and shoot my own game. For the longest time I've been judging time by when others are shooting. Can't do it. I rush shots and it's a nightmare. If you fine you're too late for a last shot just keep at it. You'll get there.

Thanks for the advice Michael!
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum