Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FWB AW93 Review

+9
straybrit
Schaumannk
Ghillieman
carykiteboarder
NationalMatch
Jon Eulette
Tim:H11
Chris Miceli
gregbenner
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

FWB AW93 Review Empty FWB AW93 Review

Post by gregbenner Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:58 am

I purchased a near new AW93  about 9 months ago, form a gentleman on this forum. There were few reviews/articles on it, but I was finding it was difficult it evaluate internet reviews  on any of the Olympic pistols when i knew nothing about the guns, bullseye shooting or the the evaluator Embarassed So I bought it. At the time I was new to the concept of Bullseye and had never shot in a match.  

My initial impressions of it were very positive, the fit and finish are excellent, it has "the look".  It seemed lighter than some target 22s.  It cane with the sight base and I installed a UD Matchdot 2 immediately. I never really liked the grips, the factory ones are very angular, and, although not terrible, seemed to get less desirable as time went on. Also, the s stage trigger had been adjusted to an extremely light pull, under 1 1/2 lbs. Initially, I really liked the trigger, but as I started shooting in match, I almost immediately changed to a GSP Expert which I had purchased subsequently.  For me, better grips, and a 2 lb trigger.  After perhaps a 1,000 + rounds of CCI-SV I don't recall ever having am issue, it has been very reliable. George Beznovich, one of the US importers is extremely reachable and always willing to help (in my case thinking about trying to adjust the trigger, which I finally gave up on). I later came to realize the Rink grips (medium) are made for me, I have several pairs, and recently received a pair for the AW93.  Perfect, as always.  

A coule weeks ago, I gave the gun to Jon Eulette to 1) adjust the trigger , and 2 to shoot it.. I don't have enough experience and don't shoot well enough to really offer a more meaningful evaluation, but am hoping he will add his comments since there are so few out there I think he was going to shoot the gun this evening, I haven't talked with yet so looking forward to his comments. I'd also appreciate any comments from others who own or have shot this gun.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

FWB AW93 Review Empty Re: FWB AW93 Review

Post by Chris Miceli Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:38 am

I shot a fellow shooters AW93 for a match few months back. Grip didn't fit me and the trigger wasn't adjusted for me. Shot it well for the conditions. It has a soft unique recoil to it. It was accurate, didn't cause me an alibi, and it locked back every time on an empty mag. This was the light weight version... which i believe just has an aluminum weight.

Debated buying one......I use a 1911 conversion.

Last edited by Chris Miceli on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:04 am

Chris Miceli wrote:

If it ain't broke don't fix it.  lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:29 am

Tim:H11 wrote:
Chris Miceli wrote:

more guns more better

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:41 am

The AW93 has the most unique trigger design I've seen. Because of the design it cannot be set up as a 2 stage trigger. There is no definitive 2nd stage stopping point. So after adjusting it and learning how it felt from one side of the fence to the other I figured out it will always be a roll trigger. The take up is marginally adjustable as well as reset. So I got it as minimal as design allows. SF requires committed trigger squeeze. You have to confidently start trigger squeeze and squeeze through until trigger breaks. TF & RF require not letting off trigger too fast after breaking 1st shot. Easy to let off to quickly and lose advantage of trigger reset. Once I got used to technique required to shoot it consistently it was a blast. Pistol is pretty forgiving. Wide shots were still in 10 ring. It's extremely accurate. Shot nice tiny little clusters. The factory grips are not your friend. Greg put Rinks on it and they are much better. I'm not a fan of a medium or longer rolling trigger. But once I got used to it I believe this pistol has the best rolling trigger available. It's consistent and gives great feedback when shooting it. If you can't shoot a roll don't get one. If you like the roll it's got one of the best. 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:19 am

Chris Miceli wrote:
Tim:H11 wrote:
Chris Miceli wrote:

more guns more better

I'm a "mo betta" guy. However, running out of excuses:)

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:23 am

Thx Jon, really appreciate it.  Looking forward to comparing to my GSP. I just learning to tell and appreciate the difference between a roll trigger v a crisp trigger, particularly one set in the 2 lb range. I definitely like some triggers more than others, I just can't describe why very well.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by NationalMatch Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:13 pm

Greg, 
 I thought I would post as the info out there is limited. I also ordered a Aw93 (standard) with the factory large grip through [size=64]George Beznovich 3mo ago or so I received it. [/size]
[size=64]  I also could not even use the grip my hands are a xxl. Sold it and have been waiting on my custom grip. Have not fired 1 round yet. [/size]
[size=64]  But I will tell you this [/size][size=64]George Beznovich may be easy to reach and friendly but if there is any issue that could cost him a nickel your out of luck.[/size]
[size=64]  Sent me an out of spec mount that nothing will fit it and still waiting for a replacement or refund.[/size]

NationalMatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:59 pm

NationalMatch wrote:Greg, 
 I thought I would post as the info out there is limited. I also ordered a Aw93 (standard) with the factory large grip through [size=64]George Beznovich 3mo ago or so I received it. [/size]
[size=64]  I also could not even use the grip my hands are a xxl. Sold it and have been waiting on my custom grip. Have not fired 1 round yet. [/size]
[size=64]  But I will tell you this [/size][size=64]George Beznovich may be easy to reach and friendly but if there is any issue that could cost him a nickel your out of luck.[/size]
[size=64]  Sent me an out of spec mount that nothing will fit it and still waiting for a replacement or refund.[/size]
Sad to hear, was debating getting one. I believe he is the service point for the brand

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by NationalMatch Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:32 pm

Champions choice same price.
George included shipping and the useless mount.
  Knowing what I know now the Pardini sp would have been a,better choice. They have rink xl grips for small up charge, the scope rail is intregal to the barrel and lots of good reviews for great service.

Last edited by NationalMatch on Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

NationalMatch

Back to top Go down

Post by NationalMatch Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:08 pm

Also if anyone is looking for a high quality scope mount that replaces the rear sight on the aw93
Doug Hall Engineering LLC is outstanding with his design. 

NationalMatch

Back to top Go down

Post by carykiteboarder Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:36 pm

A certain former USMC national champion brought his .22 pistol to a clinic I attended.  It was a FWB AW93.  The fact that it is inherently a roll trigger makes perfect sense.

When you get to this category of pistol, there is no "better".  The right choice is the one that works for YOU.  Generally, you can buy or adapt a grip to fit your hand -- eventually.  Rink, Nill, Dick Horton, Randall Fung, Vitarbo, 3D from our precision pistol grip guy, etc... What you really need to choose is the TRIGGER!  

As always, if what I write is contradicted by a High Master, please pretend you never read my words and focus intently to what the HM tells you.
carykiteboarder
carykiteboarder

Back to top Go down

Post by NationalMatch Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:44 pm

Internet " lore" says Mr Zinns  (?spelling)
Was asked about the Pardini since these are very popular in various competitive arenas and place at the top.
  He said he scored the same with the pardini but preferred the aw93 . Not sure but I think it was grip angle more in common with the 1911 angle (True false...no idea just some ting I stumbled across)
   I also have noticed the roll trigger seams to be favored by those at the top of the heap.

NationalMatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghillieman Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:13 am

Pardini SP can be adjusted to a roll trigger too. Grips are available with a different rake angle.
Ghillieman
Ghillieman

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:20 am

NationalMatch wrote:Internet " lore" says Mr Zinns  (?spelling)
Was asked about the Pardini since these are very popular in various competitive arenas and place at the top.
  He said he scored the same with the pardini but preferred the aw93 . Not sure but I think it was grip angle more in common with the 1911 angle (True false...no idea just some ting I stumbled across)
   I also have noticed the roll trigger seams to be favored by those at the top of the heap.
I think the biggest disadvantage of a Pardini is the fact that it is muzzle heavy and has the magazine forward of the trigger group.  

I think the Pardini is a great gun indoors, and on calm days.   I think at Camp Perry in the wind, I prefer the AW.  The Pardini just has too much surface area, especially with a scope.  

Center fire this year on the Master's relay was kinda a bad year for Pardinis.  The 32 suffers from the same issues.

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by NationalMatch Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:52 am

It's good to hear the AW can still hold it's own. 
   I take it the bulk of the line for .22 was 1911 conversions?  More that a couple Aw's?

NationalMatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:08 am

NationalMatch wrote:It's good to hear the AW can still hold it's own. 
   I take it the bulk of the line for .22 was 1911 conversions?  More that a couple Aw's?

would be a fun survey, i'm gonna guess the line is mostly hi-standards and m41.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:21 am

Chris Miceli wrote:
NationalMatch wrote:It's good to hear the AW can still hold it's own. 

would be a fun survey, i'm gonna guess the line is mostly hi-standards and m41.

I agree, a survey would be interesting.  I wonder how much the results would change if the survey was stratified as to the level of the shooter?  Perhaps splitting it into two groups, Expert and Master v SS and Marksman? We typically get perhaps 15 shooters at the local events I attend, it seems Ruger's are pretty popular with newer shooters, which is not surprising, and the Euro guns more common with the more experienced shooters. I don't remember seeing a lot of 45 conversions though (too small of a sample to be representative)?

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:18 am

A very quick and unscientific survey (i.e. I glanced down the line :-) ) at Perry this year seemed to indicate a lot of conversions in the expert grouping. Looked like quite a few Pardinis as well. YMMV

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Saladman Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:48 pm

The shoots around me use mostly .22 conversion.  I'm a heck of an oddball with a Volquartsen (Ruger clone).  I would like a Marvel or Nelson, but my .45 has accurails.  Laughing

Staying on topic, I would really like to try an AW93 as I think they're one of the better looking pistols out there.

Saladman

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:12 pm

SSUSA wrote:For rimfire, Hemphill used a Feinwerkbau AW93 paired with an Aimpoint Micro H1. Prior to this year, he used a Hammerli, but now that is his backup gun.
Just FYI in addition to Zins..
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:16 pm

As for myself I'm disappointed in my AW-93. Hearing it was an advanced copy of the IZH-35 a gun I had and like the trigger. I can't say much about the IZH but it's trigger was outstanding using a double sear. Getting my AW I seen that quite a bit was copied, the magazines are the same. However I soon became disappointed.  First the scope mount supplied by Beznovich didn't work well, it came loose. He replaced it with another design that to eventually came loose and moved while shooting. He replaced it with a 3rd version that seem to have problems too! Add that to the issue that the slide will not lock back after the last shot is fired. These magazines were furnished with the gun. I've taken it to Beznovich at Perry but still had problems, AMU also looked at it. I tried changing springs and ammo but lock back will not happen about 50% of the time. Even fired on the bench held solid. Then there is the trigger, I couldn't get it to adjust as well as the IZH! If there was a major change in design it was in the trigger. One issue is that they have a heavy spring attached to the transfer bar that pushes the first sear into the hammer, it's actuated by the disconnection. However it remains some what engaged until the slide allows the transfer bar to reconnect which occurs at about half travel of the slide. Creates a problem if over travel is adjusted to a minimum in that there is now a lot of pressure on the transfer bar at the point of re-connection. I have done quite a bit of work on my gun, it's working much better though the trigger is not yet great it's OK until I get time to work on it again. I directed my attention to a MatchGun2 that's another lemon! But for the price of the AW-93 it should have worked great from the get go! Still the lock back is at 50% and I can't determine why but then it's something that is not that big a problem. As far as I know not many are shooting it in International Competition where the Pardini owns about 95% of the line so if I were to think about a High End gun I would look at a Pardini. My son Frank Jr has my 208S, it worked great form the day I got it! If I did have a miss fire it was always the ammo! Trigger is not as adjustable as many European but more than Domestic guns.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by NationalMatch Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:37 pm

I also received his mount with the pistol. Totally not built to any standard. No red dot I own would tighten to it.Went around and around with him.
  Froneck, was your pistol an early generation?

NationalMatch

Back to top Go down

Post by desben Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:51 pm

Froneck wrote:if I were to think about a High End gun I would look at a Pardini.

I would also consider the Walther GSP. They are quite popular around here and they all seem to run great and reliably.
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by NationalMatch Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:12 pm

Has anyone had Dick Horton make custom grips 
For them?

NationalMatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content