FWB AW93 Review

View previous topic View next topic Go down

FWB AW93 Review

Post by gregbenner on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:58 am

I purchased a near new AW93  about 9 months ago, form a gentleman on this forum. There were few reviews/articles on it, but I was finding it was difficult it evaluate internet reviews  on any of the Olympic pistols when i knew nothing about the guns, bullseye shooting or the the evaluator Embarassed So I bought it. At the time I was new to the concept of Bullseye and had never shot in a match.  

My initial impressions of it were very positive, the fit and finish are excellent, it has "the look".  It seemed lighter than some target 22s.  It cane with the sight base and I installed a UD Matchdot 2 immediately. I never really liked the grips, the factory ones are very angular, and, although not terrible, seemed to get less desirable as time went on. Also, the s stage trigger had been adjusted to an extremely light pull, under 1 1/2 lbs. Initially, I really liked the trigger, but as I started shooting in match, I almost immediately changed to a GSP Expert which I had purchased subsequently.  For me, better grips, and a 2 lb trigger.  After perhaps a 1,000 + rounds of CCI-SV I don't recall ever having am issue, it has been very reliable. George Beznovich, one of the US importers is extremely reachable and always willing to help (in my case thinking about trying to adjust the trigger, which I finally gave up on). I later came to realize the Rink grips (medium) are made for me, I have several pairs, and recently received a pair for the AW93.  Perfect, as always.  

A coule weeks ago, I gave the gun to Jon Eulette to 1) adjust the trigger , and 2 to shoot it.. I don't have enough experience and don't shoot well enough to really offer a more meaningful evaluation, but am hoping he will add his comments since there are so few out there I think he was going to shoot the gun this evening, I haven't talked with yet so looking forward to his comments. I'd also appreciate any comments from others who own or have shot this gun.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Re: FWB AW93 Review

Post by Chris Miceli on Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:38 am

I shot a fellow shooters AW93 for a match few months back. Grip didn't fit me and the trigger wasn't adjusted for me. Shot it well for the conditions. It has a soft unique recoil to it. It was accurate, didn't cause me an alibi, and it locked back every time on an empty mag. This was the light weight version... which i believe just has an aluminum weight.

Debated buying one......I use a 1911 conversion.

Last edited by Chris Miceli on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:04 am

Chris Miceli wrote:

If it ain't broke don't fix it.  lol!
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli on Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:29 am

Tim:H11 wrote:
Chris Miceli wrote:

more guns more better
Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette on Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:41 am

The AW93 has the most unique trigger design I've seen. Because of the design it cannot be set up as a 2 stage trigger. There is no definitive 2nd stage stopping point. So after adjusting it and learning how it felt from one side of the fence to the other I figured out it will always be a roll trigger. The take up is marginally adjustable as well as reset. So I got it as minimal as design allows. SF requires committed trigger squeeze. You have to confidently start trigger squeeze and squeeze through until trigger breaks. TF & RF require not letting off trigger too fast after breaking 1st shot. Easy to let off to quickly and lose advantage of trigger reset. Once I got used to technique required to shoot it consistently it was a blast. Pistol is pretty forgiving. Wide shots were still in 10 ring. It's extremely accurate. Shot nice tiny little clusters. The factory grips are not your friend. Greg put Rinks on it and they are much better. I'm not a fan of a medium or longer rolling trigger. But once I got used to it I believe this pistol has the best rolling trigger available. It's consistent and gives great feedback when shooting it. If you can't shoot a roll don't get one. If you like the roll it's got one of the best. 
Jon
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:19 am

Chris Miceli wrote:
Tim:H11 wrote:
Chris Miceli wrote:

more guns more better

I'm a "mo betta" guy. However, running out of excuses:)

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:23 am

Thx Jon, really appreciate it.  Looking forward to comparing to my GSP. I just learning to tell and appreciate the difference between a roll trigger v a crisp trigger, particularly one set in the 2 lb range. I definitely like some triggers more than others, I just can't describe why very well.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum