Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trouble Loading 32 long DEWC "HARD CAST" lead bullets

3 posters

Go down

Trouble Loading 32 long DEWC "HARD CAST" lead bullets Empty Trouble Loading 32 long DEWC "HARD CAST" lead bullets

Post by gregbenner 6/24/2017, 3:41 pm

Purchased some of these 98 gr bullets from Magnus, they are .314 diameter, for my GSP and MP90. I am using a Dillon 550, with their 32 long dies (new). The trouble I am having is that in many of the reloads, the bullets "seems" to expand the case during the seating process (stage 3) such that it is too large to fit in the chamber  of either gun (.3375" or so). I am taper crimping them, but that doesn't extend as far the the bullet. I have loaded some H&N, Lapua and Speer with no issue, but they are HBWC.  

Could there be an issue using a solid hard cast bullet, or am I just screwing something up?

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Trouble Loading 32 long DEWC "HARD CAST" lead bullets Empty Re: Trouble Loading 32 long DEWC "HARD CAST" lead bullets

Post by mprince 6/24/2017, 4:22 pm

I seem to remember that certain cases that I used this would happen with, but did not happen with Lapua or Remington cases.  I just assumed that certain cases had thicker walls as they got close to the rim.  I could be wrong but when I switched cases and it solved itself, I never bothered to try to confirm it.

mprince

Back to top Go down

Trouble Loading 32 long DEWC "HARD CAST" lead bullets Empty Re: Trouble Loading 32 long DEWC "HARD CAST" lead bullets

Post by robert84010 6/24/2017, 4:28 pm

Dave Wilson (fc60) will have sage advice for any 32S&W problems, hopefully he will reply. He made a 550 powder drop/expander die for me years ago that is both bigger in o.d. and longer for the full wadcutter hbwc bullets we use.  I am not sure if he still makes such things. If not this guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/45-ACP-M-style-powder-funnel-powder-die-for-Dillon-RL550-XL-650-RL-1050-/322338909190?hash=item4b0ce56c06:g:M4oAAOSwZJlXMrEF

can be contacted and he will make you one to your dimensions. My experience showed that the dewc was shorter and not deformed using the regular 550 expander die, only the hbwc had a problem. The Wilson die fixed it.

In my .32s&w pistols a piece of unsized brass will fit the chamber so I cannot see how a bullet would be able to deform the brass so big it won't chamber but maybe the brand of brass you use is too thick. Either style bullet should improve with a custom powder drop die.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 6/25/2017, 2:38 am

mprince wrote:I seem to remember that certain cases that I used this would happen with, but did not happen with Lapua or Remington cases.  I just assumed that certain cases had thicker walls as they got close to the rim.  I could be wrong but when I switched cases and it solved itself, I never bothered to try to confirm it.

I tried a few Lapua cases, no issues out of 25.   Laughing Will load more tomorrow 

Thx!

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down