Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bomar rib rear sight question

2 posters

Go down

Bomar rib rear sight question Empty Bomar rib rear sight question

Post by blindshooter Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:45 pm

I have a old Bomar tuner rib. The small spring that pushes between the hinge pin and the small elevation screw detent pin does not put any pressure against the screw head. I got it out and it seems to be very stiff. Not sure if its original or not. One end seems to be cut and the other is finished. 
It appears that this Kensight kit (KENSIGHT ITEM# 840-200) is close to the same parts. If anyone has any insight (ha!) into this I'd be really thankful.

blindshooter

Back to top Go down

Bomar rib rear sight question Empty Re: Bomar rib rear sight question

Post by kc.crawford.7 Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:33 am

The retaining pin puts pressure on the spring and detent to get the elevation clicks. If the spring has been cut or damaged from inserting the retaining pin you can "add" a small plug behind the spring to give it more tension and get your clicks back.  I modified a retaining pin with a very gradual angle so it wouldn't clip the spring when inserting it back into the base.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by blindshooter Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:09 am

I'm almost sure the spring I have is not correct. It's so stiff I have to lean on it with much force to get it to compress. The notches/detent are worn pretty bad as if this spring is applying way to much force.
I have cleaned up the notches very slightly and my locksmith buddy found a spring with way less tension. Thanks for the pin modification idea, I had been puzzling over how to reassemble without damaging the spring. Thanks for taking time to reply.

blindshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by blindshooter Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:55 am

Tweaked the spring from locksmith buddy (shortened by a couple coils) then put a bevel on the end of the retaining pin( thanks KC) and reassembled using the old cleaned up elevation screw. Works like a charm, the small detent pin rocks back and forth much easier with positive steps. I did mark the screw head so I can tell if it "walks" on its own. Stayed put after yesterdays zero/testing session.

blindshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down