Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clark Custom

+8
SW-52
AllAces
Wobbley
PMcfall
Chris Miceli
james r chapman
troystaten
rebs
12 posters

Go down

Clark Custom Empty Clark Custom

Post by rebs 8/2/2017, 3:52 pm

I was at my local gun shop yesterday and found a S&W model 14, it had a Clark Custom barrel and a fantastic trigger. There was a severe ring of wear around the cylinder where the latch rubs when you turn it. They had a price on it of $579.00
I was very tempted to buy it but wanted to ask about it on here because I know nothing about Clark Custom or how much the gun was shot. The cylinder had very slight play in it when the hammer was pulled back to shoot. The bore looked ok, clean and I could see the rifling. I put it on lay away til I asked you guys about it.

rebs

Back to top Go down

Clark Custom Empty Re: Clark Custom

Post by troystaten 8/3/2017, 4:57 am

If the barrel is in good shape I would imagine it would be a very nice shooter.  Probably been shot a lot but if needed it could be tuned up.  Can't imagine you could get a more accurate pistol for the price.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 8/3/2017, 5:26 am

was that a bull barrel gun? Clark generally used 1-10, 1-12 twists which made the 148 gr hbwc a true target masher...
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rebs 8/3/2017, 3:35 pm

No bull barrel,  It is a slab side barrel

rebs

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 8/3/2017, 4:03 pm

Same thing.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 8/3/2017, 4:56 pm

I recently saw a full PPC gun, never seen one before. The cylinder had been shortened and the barrel the comes into the frame was length-ed. It only shoots 148 hbwc, i guess it was to limit bullet jump.

I think something like that is a bit more costly than the Clark, maybe a better mouse trap though.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by rebs 8/3/2017, 5:00 pm

How to tell if it is worn out or how much would a tune up job be ?

rebs

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall 8/3/2017, 5:13 pm

Why don't you give Clark a call and find out what a tune up would cost?  I shot Clark 1911's for years and sent them in a few times to be retightened and tuned for a very reasonable cost.  The revolver probably has the same type deal available.
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 8/3/2017, 5:19 pm

Smiths are pretty robust.  

Two areas of wear, cylinder end shake, and rotational looseness.

End shake takes feeler gauges to measure but an idea can be had by looking at the cylinder to barrel gap increase as you push the cylinder forewarn and aft to the limits.  This can take some oomph but not excessively so.  More than 0.010 it needs work.

Rotational looseness is a bit easier.  Cock the hammer then release the hammer holding the trigger to the rear, try to move the cylinder rotationally.  There should be no looseness other than a perceptible but barely visible play.  A little is ok. 

End shake and rotational movement can be fixed.  A couple of hundred maybe.

Clark PPC guns were excellent shooters.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces 8/3/2017, 5:30 pm

Contact Ten Ring Precision and talk to Alex Hamilton. Alex does a lot of revolver work.  As for the severe ring of wear around the cylinder, that is probably because a bullseye shooter used it for the center fire portion of the match and shot and practiced a lot. This could be the sign of an accurate and good shooting revolver.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall 8/3/2017, 5:38 pm

Remember if you let anyone other than Clark work on it, it is no longer a Clark.  Any perceived value due to the Clark name will be lost.
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 8/3/2017, 5:41 pm

for revolvers,Mohawk Custom.
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 8/3/2017, 7:19 pm

Chris Miceli wrote:I recently saw a full PPC gun, never seen one before. The cylinder had been shortened and the barrel the comes into the frame was length-ed. It only shoots 148 hbwc, i guess it was to limit bullet jump.

I think something like that is a bit more costly than the Clark, maybe a better mouse trap though.

Fred Schmidt. Jerry Keefer wrote of him on another thread.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 8/3/2017, 7:47 pm

Chris Miceli wrote:I recently saw a full PPC gun, never seen one before. The cylinder had been shortened and the barrel the comes into the frame was length-ed. It only shoots 148 hbwc, i guess it was to limit bullet jump.

I would buy that mousetrap in a heart beat! Those were great revolvers. Less reciprocating mass of cylinder aided in nicer trigger pulls. I will build one for myself someday.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by rebs 8/3/2017, 8:38 pm

so  how many of you guys would buy the used clark custom that I asked about ?
I called and they did had it and it is on hold for me for two days.
How expensive could it be to have the rotational play in the cylinder when the hammer is cocked. Should it be checked when the hammer is cocked or after the trigger is pulled ?

rebs

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 8/3/2017, 9:11 pm

Nothing can not be fixed on a Smith, basically.

It boils down to what are you going to use it for. PPC guns were designed for two hands, unless your like Len and have lumberjack hamhands.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 8/3/2017, 9:20 pm

I'd buy it to make it a harry reeves gun. Not having the chance to take it to the range it could cost another 500+ to get it the way I want. It also isn't Distingushed revolver legal

Last edited by Chris Miceli on 8/3/2017, 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 8/3/2017, 9:20 pm

gotta ask what are you using it for? It cannot be used for the Distinguished Revolver match. Most PPC guns have DA only so you really have to work at that to use for Centerfire or Reeves matches. There will be another one that doesn't need work and you can use for the Distinguished match or Centerfire.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 8/3/2017, 9:35 pm

rebs wrote:so  how many of you guys would buy the used clark custom that I asked about ?
I called and they did had it and it is on hold for me for two days.
How expensive could it be to have the rotational play in the cylinder when the hammer is cocked. Should it be checked when the hammer is cocked or after the trigger is pulled ?
It is probably very accurate at 50 yards, that being said, unless I was going to shoot PPC matches or bullseye centerfire matches, it wouldn't follow me home. They are a top notch gun with limited use.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 8/3/2017, 10:44 pm

If it qualifies for NRA DR matches I'd snap it up for that money, heck I'd buy it anyway you won't loose any money.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by rebs 8/3/2017, 10:58 pm

I would mainly use it for general target shooting at our club, 50 ft indoors, 25 and 50 yds outdoors. It can be fired double or single action. I have both rotor cuffs torn and non repairable and am not steady enough for shooting competition. I just enjoy shooting two handed.

rebs

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 8/4/2017, 12:00 am

Then that's the ticket!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 8/4/2017, 1:06 am

For your intended use, it's a decent target pistol.  Unless it reall has cylinder lockup issues, it should be a very nice pistol.  When checking lockup you hold the trigger to keep the hand engaged in the ratchet (extractor star).  I just checked my 14.  The rotational play is maybe one degree or less in each direction.  But compare to a new gun and see what it is.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down