Anticipating recoil.

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anticipating recoil.

Post by Mike38 on 8/26/2017, 11:46 am

First topic message reminder :

Is there a sure fire way to rid one's self of anticipating recoil with the .45? I think I'm getting worse instead of better. Maybe someone can give me that one bit of advice that I have yet to try and it will cure this slump I'm in. I'm shooting near Expert scores with the .22 in training today, but couldn't break 700 with the .45 if my life depended on it. Toss the advise out there, verbally abuse me if necessary, I can take it, I need it. Thank you.

Mike38

Back to top Go down

Re: Anticipating recoil.

Post by Jon Eulette on 9/28/2017, 5:43 pm

mikemyers wrote:Oleg, that would be wonderful for precision, but not too good for accuracy.  I shoot at many different targets, large, small, even a page full of small "dots" every so often.  The 6-o'clock hold isn't good for that.
Little itty bitty targets make shooters focus on the target! With a red dot not a big deal. With irons a new shooter will struggle because they haven't learned how to really stay focused on the front sight. I always reinforce proper target for the distance being shot for newer shooters. It doesn't matter if you've been shooting 50 yrs, if you are new to bullseye type shooting you are new!
Jon
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike38 on 9/28/2017, 5:46 pm

mikemyers wrote:I think that most Bullseye shooters keep their front sight dull black.  A dull black front sight in front of a black bull makes it difficult.  Any advice on how to improve that?  What am I missing??

Do you use a center hold? Try six-o'clock hold, or sub six hold. Or, put a "Gip" on the front sight.

Mike38

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on 9/28/2017, 7:16 pm

I couldn't agree more.  The better you get at the fundamentals, the better you will shoot.  

I don't believe you "learn the fundamentals" and then you're done.  I think learning them is a life-long procedure, and the more you learn, the better you shoot, and as you're shooting more you find there's (always) more to learn.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I read and listen to the "experts" talking about they are constantly practicing, and trying to get even better.

Learning the concept of the fundamentals is easy - pick up a book, and read.  Applying them is yet another story.

(Oleg, what you wrote I'm sure is true for a Bullseye competitor, but personally, that's not my goal.  I'm a target shooter (since the 1980's), who is trying to learn as much as possible to become a better shooter.  There are many things to learn, but this seems to be a great start, and this forum is worth its weight in gold.  "The Pistol Shooter's Treasury" gives two options for hold, and for people who don't see that well, recommends 6-o'clock.  Nowadays, I'd get a red dot sight, and eventually maybe I'll do so.  For now, I want to get both accuracy and precision, at whatever I'm aiming at.  Last thought - reading here is NOT enough; it takes a LOT of practice to get to where I'm actually close to doing what I've read here.   As I saw it, my single biggest problem with the 1911 was anticipation, and I doubt I'd have cured it on my own....)
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on 9/28/2017, 7:50 pm

Confused - what is a "Gip" ?
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on 9/28/2017, 8:14 pm

Someone in the forum just sent me a PM, and the way he phrased it, I realize that if nothing else, I should at least try the 6-o'clock hold.  I expect it to work out just as all of you predict, and I expect that I'll be shooting the Les Baer that way from now on.  Will see.

Sorry for being a dork...   I'm trying to learn this stuff, but you guys already know it.  So, next time I'm at the range, I'll change the elevation on my sights, and try it out.

It's fine with me if the person who sent the PM copies what he wrote me into this discussion.  He pushed me over the edge, and I wish I could try this in the next few days, but it's probably going to have to wait until I get back from India.  If the target I shot on blank paper is what I'm maybe going to get in the future, wow!

I was thinking "but I shoot all my guns at many different things"...   I guess for now, I can settle for just a B-8 target.   I think I'll be much happier with the targets.   Shocked

Again, thanks!!
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid on 9/28/2017, 8:54 pm

mikemyers wrote:Confused - what is a "Gip" ?

I don't know if it's what Mike was talking about, but I always put a small Mark or scratch on the front sight. Not something huge like the fiber optic or white dot type front sights, just something you really have to focus on to see. Just because the target is blurry doesn't mean you're focused on the front sight. You could be focused halfway between the target and the front sight.
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike38 on 9/29/2017, 6:42 am

Mike38

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top