38 Special Full Wadcutter stability?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

38 Special Full Wadcutter stability?

Post by inthebeech on Thu May 10, 2012 8:43 am

First topic message reminder :

Does it make sense that my 148 grain Lyman 358495 target bullet moving at 775 f/s, which groups off of bags at 25 yards in to less than one and a half inches, would become so unstable at 50 yards to open up to 6-8 inches?

It's my fault for not practicing much at fifty yards and discovering this earlier, but I really don't need this problem three weeks before my first BE match.  I don't want to have to be doing 'load development' any more this season, but I'm glad to have discovered this now.

inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Re: 38 Special Full Wadcutter stability?

Post by tenx9 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:32 pm

I've tried all manner of 148gr swaged bullets and indeed 50yd accuracy is lacking. I've got 2000 Rem 148's from Precison Reloading and I am hoping for the best. Never tried them. I'm not going to push the bullets so fast that it equals the recoil of my .45. No point. I'm now trying W231 and then might resort to Power Pistol, which might have some merit. I tried 4.0gr of W231 with a Berrys 125 and the results might indicate that I indeed go to a lighter charge. 4.2 to 4.6 was absolutely horrible. The 4.0 load had 2 three shot clusters about 3 1/2" apart. Years ago I gave up and just used my .45. Now because of bad shoulders and elbows, trying again

tenx9

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:41 pm

Model 52-2 .38 special Remington 148 HBWC loaded with 2.4-2.5 of Clays very accurate at 50yds.  If you push the HBWC too fast the skirts blow out and accuracy - well there is none at that point.

Last edited by dronning on Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by rvlvrlvr on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:52 am

inthebeech - you mention using Speer HBWC bullets before trying the Remington HBWCs. Were the Speers the 'new' ones with that hard, slippery-feeling coating/lube on them? If they were, I'd wonder if that wasn't the reason for the poor grouping. 

My own anecdotes: I tried the Speer HBWC over 3.1gr W231 out of a 6" S&W Model 686-5 revolver with the 'new' EDM-cut rifling in the barrel, and found it couldn't group worth a darn. My shooting buddies all tried the Speer 98gr .32 HBWC bullets in thei Hammerli 280 pistols and they were also experiencing inconsistencies (and even keyholing). When we all switched to something else (I went with those Remington 148gr HBWCs in my wheelgun; they went with Magnus Cast 98gr WCs for their pistols), acceptable groupings (with no keyholes or uncalled fliers) returned.

Last edited by rvlvrlvr on Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

rvlvrlvr

Back to top Go down

Post by Fritz Ficke on Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:04 pm

One of the challenges with shooting the slow .38 wc is you have to have really good follow through to not "key hole"  even with the best ammunition.

Fritz Ficke

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech on Fri May 23, 2014 12:02 pm

Ok, not that all of this advice was not useful; in fact there are some great tips.
But I have to come clean or perhaps this final bit of information will cause fellow shooters to keep an open mind when encountering similar problems.
Somewhere in the early history of this revolver, I lodged a bullet about an inch from the muzzle and, you guessed it, pushed it out without even knowing it and bulged the barrel.  Becaue I did not notice it, the search began for the cause of sudden inaccuracy, which led to the start of this thread.  I have since had a great revolversmith replace the barrel and guess what?  My original load is once again shooting ragged holes at 25 yds with very little effort. 
We never stop learning.

inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Couldn't Resist.

Post by rbwillnj on Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:17 pm

50 Yard target, Ransom Rest, Star Reloader of course.
In case you can't read the data on the target, 2.7 grains of 700X, Remington 148 Grain HBWC
Winchester SPP and I think it was Federal Brass, but it might have been Winchester.  I use both but I don't mix.

At an average velocity of 793 fps, that's about the same speed as my 45 wad loads.
Attachments
Clark 38 Special.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(159 Kb) Downloaded 27 times

rbwillnj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:26 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum