At what point do you abandon the shot?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

At what point do you abandon the shot?

Post by orpheoet on 8/29/2017, 3:48 pm

My slow fire scores are stalled around 90. I've noticed that my best scores usually have a fair amount of start overs. So when to abort the shot?
avatar
orpheoet

Posts : 599
Join date : 2014-07-29
Age : 49
Location : Lakewood, Oh

Back to top Go down

Re: At what point do you abandon the shot?

Post by Tim:H11 on 8/29/2017, 3:55 pm

People will say anything around the 7-10 second mark and some answers may vary on that detail. Some shooters hold much longer and do fine. Really my big "red flag" is if I'm thinking "almost there..." or if I'm fighting to get settled and stay there, like the shot was never there to begin with... put it down.
avatar
Tim:H11

Posts : 999
Join date : 2015-11-04
Age : 29
Location : TN

Back to top Go down

Re: At what point do you abandon the shot?

Post by Aprilian on 8/29/2017, 3:56 pm

This is what I have in my notes;  it is from Keyholed

The dot's arc of movement isn't centered? Abort.
Dot moving too much? Abort.
Conscious effort on the trigger? Abort.
Starting/stopping the trigger? Abort.
Lost focus on my target? Abort.
Holding longer than 4 seconds? Abort.

Thinking about anything else other than this shot? Abort.
avatar
Aprilian

Posts : 372
Join date : 2016-05-13
Location : Minnesota

Back to top Go down

Re: At what point do you abandon the shot?

Post by Tim:H11 on 8/29/2017, 3:58 pm

Amin minor distraction, any flaw with your shot process, or during the shot process, put it down.
avatar
Tim:H11

Posts : 999
Join date : 2015-11-04
Age : 29
Location : TN

Back to top Go down

Re: At what point do you abandon the shot?

Post by Jon Eulette on 8/29/2017, 4:11 pm

Aprilian wrote:This is what I have in my notes;  it is from Keyholed

The dot's arc of movement isn't centered? Abort.
Dot moving too much? Abort.
Conscious effort on the trigger? Abort.
Starting/stopping the trigger? Abort.
Lost focus on my target? Abort.
Holding longer than 4 seconds? Abort.

Thinking about anything else other than this shot? Abort.
Conscious effort on the trigger is a MUST! Trigger trumps everything else. Early shots almost always better than late shots on SF. If it doesn't feel right, look right or any distraction, then abort.
Jon
avatar
Jon Eulette

Posts : 1730
Join date : 2013-04-15
Location : Southern Kalifornia

Back to top Go down

Re: At what point do you abandon the shot?

Post by weber1b on 8/29/2017, 6:13 pm

My simple rule (which I too often have not followed), if you think you might need to abort, then you in fact do need to. I have occasionally succeeded on a forced shot, but not as often as I've cursed it. I'm getting better at following that rule.

weber1b

Posts : 209
Join date : 2015-10-03
Location : Naperville, IL

Back to top Go down

Re: At what point do you abandon the shot?

Post by zanemoseley on 8/29/2017, 9:13 pm

I'm like weber, if the thought even enters my mind I'm lowering the pistol. Usually if I continue the shot process I regret it, I've never regretted lowering the pistol.

zanemoseley

Posts : 371
Join date : 2015-07-11

Back to top Go down

Re: At what point do you abandon the shot?

Post by john bickar on 8/29/2017, 9:43 pm

Yup, as soon as the thought even starts to enter your mind.

I try to tell myself that aborting a shot is just like shooting a 10: I picked the gun up, and when I set it back down again, I hadn't dropped a single point.

There's probably a more positive way to phrase that.
avatar
john bickar

Posts : 711
Join date : 2011-07-09
Location : Menlo Park, CA

Back to top Go down

Re: At what point do you abandon the shot?

Post by PMcfall on 8/30/2017, 9:40 am

Aprilian wrote:
The dot's arc of movement isn't centered? Abort.
Dot moving too much? Abort.
Conscious effort on the trigger? Abort.
Starting/stopping the trigger? Abort.
Lost focus on my target? Abort.
Holding longer than 4 seconds? Abort.

If I followed these rules, I would never shoot a shot.  I try to always think trigger and I also try to focus on the dot, never the target.
I know there are different approaches, but this is the way it works for me.  When do I abort a shot?  When that little voice in my head says so.
Phil
avatar
PMcfall

Posts : 36
Join date : 2011-06-16
Location : St. Joseph, MO

Back to top Go down

Re: At what point do you abandon the shot?

Post by Ed Hall on 9/2/2017, 8:20 am

PMcfall wrote:If I followed these rules, I would never shoot a shot...
Phil
Good statement!

Seek what you wish to find.  If you are searching for all the reasons to fail, how can you ever succeed.  Spend time learning, and then looking for, reasons to continue and if they are not recognized, abort.

RE, the original post:  If you are stalled, you might be at the pinnacle of your current shot plan.  You may have to change something in it to move past the block.  Sometimes we need to let go of something we dearly embrace and change our view of a solidly accepted aspect.

Ed Hall

Posts : 450
Join date : 2012-09-10
Location : Adirondack Mountains

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Re: At what point do you abandon the shot?

Post by orpheoet on 9/3/2017, 6:58 pm

Ed Hall wrote:
PMcfall wrote:If I followed these rules, I would never shoot a shot...
Phil
Good statement!

Seek what you wish to find.  If you are searching for all the reasons to fail, how can you ever succeed.  Spend time learning, and then looking for, reasons to continue and if they are not recognized, abort.

RE, the original post:  If you are stalled, you might be at the pinnacle of your current shot plan.  You may have to change something in it to move past the block.  Sometimes we need to let go of something we dearly embrace and change our view of a solidly accepted aspect.
I think my "shot plan" probably is the issue. I don't have much of a plan other than point gun, shoot... other than my stance I couldnt really say I have a consistent process.
avatar
orpheoet

Posts : 599
Join date : 2014-07-29
Age : 49
Location : Lakewood, Oh

Back to top Go down

Re: At what point do you abandon the shot?

Post by Multiracer on 9/3/2017, 8:13 pm

orpheoet wrote:
Ed Hall wrote:
PMcfall wrote:If I followed these rules, I would never shoot a shot...
Phil
Good statement!

Seek what you wish to find.  If you are searching for all the reasons to fail, how can you ever succeed.  Spend time learning, and then looking for, reasons to continue and if they are not recognized, abort.

RE, the original post:  If you are stalled, you might be at the pinnacle of your current shot plan.  You may have to change something in it to move past the block.  Sometimes we need to let go of something we dearly embrace and change our view of a solidly accepted aspect.
I think my "shot plan" probably is the issue. I don't have much of a plan other than point gun, shoot... other than my stance I couldnt really say I have a consistent process.
affraid I was thinking to myself the very words you wrote here David Re: my "shot plan"

Multiracer

Posts : 276
Join date : 2017-03-15
Location : North Ohio

Back to top Go down

Re: At what point do you abandon the shot?

Post by orpheoet on 9/4/2017, 8:19 am

Multiracer wrote:
orpheoet wrote:
Ed Hall wrote:
PMcfall wrote:If I followed these rules, I would never shoot a shot...
Phil
Good statement!

Seek what you wish to find.  If you are searching for all the reasons to fail, how can you ever succeed.  Spend time learning, and then looking for, reasons to continue and if they are not recognized, abort.

RE, the original post:  If you are stalled, you might be at the pinnacle of your current shot plan.  You may have to change something in it to move past the block.  Sometimes we need to let go of something we dearly embrace and change our view of a solidly accepted aspect.
I think my "shot plan" probably is the issue. I don't have much of a plan other than point gun, shoot... other than my stance I couldnt really say I have a consistent process.
affraid I was thinking to myself the very words you wrote here David Re: my "shot plan"
I'm thinking we may have arrived at the difference between Expert and Master/High Master....
avatar
orpheoet

Posts : 599
Join date : 2014-07-29
Age : 49
Location : Lakewood, Oh

Back to top Go down

Re: At what point do you abandon the shot?

Post by Archer Gravely on 9/5/2017, 10:47 am

weber1b wrote:My simple rule (which I too often have not followed), if you think you might need to abort, then you in fact do need to. I have occasionally succeeded on a forced shot, but not as often as I've cursed it. I'm getting better at following that rule.
This is excellent advice and is helping me.

thanks
avatar
Archer Gravely

Posts : 22
Join date : 2015-07-02
Location : Asheville, NC

Back to top Go down

Re: At what point do you abandon the shot?

Post by Keithcrc on 9/9/2017, 9:55 pm

I abort when the sight is no longer clear. I also abort when my normal movement isn't normal.
avatar
Keithcrc

Posts : 44
Join date : 2017-08-18

Back to top Go down

Re: At what point do you abandon the shot?

Post by Keyholed on 9/20/2017, 7:20 am

Jon Eulette wrote:
Aprilian wrote:This is what I have in my notes;  it is from Keyholed

The dot's arc of movement isn't centered? Abort.
Dot moving too much? Abort.
Conscious effort on the trigger? Abort.
Starting/stopping the trigger? Abort.
Lost focus on my target? Abort.
Holding longer than 4 seconds? Abort.

Thinking about anything else other than this shot? Abort.
Conscious effort on the trigger is a MUST! Trigger trumps everything else. Early shots almost always better than late shots on SF. If it doesn't feel right, look right or any distraction, then abort.
Jon


Let me clarify that. When I say "Conscious effort on the trigger", I'm referencing the feeling of having to squeeze harder.

I'm no great shakes, but I'm okay at ID SF. I'm happy with 10s, and I'll take 9s if they're to-call, anything else and I can tell I made an error. I'm fine with making errors When I'm shooting SF, I'm trying to not think about anything at all. I would say, by your lingo, I'm applying conscious effort, in that I'm deciding when to start squeezing. After that, I just let that thing squeeze itself and keep an eye on how it's going. Finger knows what he's s'posed to do.

When I speak of that conscious effort as a negative, I'm specifically thinking about that feeling of "needing to complete the shot" or--worse--"the trigger has stopped moving and I need to squeeze harder" (I shoot a roll). When that happens, I'll either catch myself consciously working the trigger, or I'll take a bad shot.

I think a lot of people have those sorts of feelings, for different things--e.g. "I better not break the shot right now, the dot isn't on the 10", leading to starting/stopping on the trigger.

Flipping back to OP: A 90 isn't necessarily good or bad. What's happening on that target?

If you've got 70-80% 9s and 10s, and you're calling every shot precisely, then it's time to figure out what's going on with your worst shots.

Conversely, if you've got a random smattering of shots across the black that just happens to add up to 90, then maybe it's time to go through your technique. Try out a different stance and grip. Study how the two affect your hold.

Keyholed

Posts : 76
Join date : 2015-08-05

Back to top Go down

Re: At what point do you abandon the shot?

Post by Keithcrc on 9/20/2017, 12:15 pm

Yes do everything written here and keep it simple. It seems all or most of the stated methods are correct. Here is another, the gun doesn't change within it's known accuracy, we do. How little we change is the consistency we are after. If your method is a little different within convention, but is consistent then adjust for and do that. Brian Zins the most winningest champion focuses on the target ( per his writings) This is against normal conventional procedure and undoable by some, but it obviously could be done. Should everyone? I don't think it is possible.
Know the fundamentals and practice and you will know more about when to move the trigger.
avatar
Keithcrc

Posts : 44
Join date : 2017-08-18

Back to top Go down

Re: At what point do you abandon the shot?

Post by rich.tullo on 9/28/2017, 7:09 pm

When do you abort in timed fire if at all?
avatar
rich.tullo

Posts : 852
Join date : 2015-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: At what point do you abandon the shot?

Post by bdutton on 9/30/2017, 8:48 pm

orpheoet wrote:My slow fire scores are stalled around 90. I've noticed that my best scores usually have a fair amount of start overs. So when to abort the shot?
When you start thinking about IF you should shoot the shot.
avatar
bdutton

Posts : 116
Join date : 2012-08-22

Back to top Go down

Re: At what point do you abandon the shot?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum