Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question for guys using stainless pin tumblers.

+6
Multiracer
USSR
messenger
UtahDave
TAB
zanemoseley
10 posters

Go down

Question for guys using stainless pin tumblers. Empty Question for guys using stainless pin tumblers.

Post by zanemoseley Sun 10 Sep 2017, 12:06 am

I've been using a stainless steel pin tumbler for a few years, it seems to really clean the brass nicely. I use it with tap water, Dawn dish soap and lemishine. The problem I have is after many cleanings the brass comes out of the tumbler more dull, kind of light brown. Not sure if it's my water chemistry or too much lemishine.

I had bought some used brass from a local guy, it had already been cleaned in a regular tumbler and looked fairly shiny but after I decapped the brass and ran it through my SS tumbler it looked awesome. Had it sitting right next to my old brass straight out of the tumbler, got me wondering what happened to my old brass.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Question for guys using stainless pin tumblers. Empty Re: Question for guys using stainless pin tumblers.

Post by TAB Sun 10 Sep 2017, 1:23 am

I use 1 tablespoon of Dawn and 1/4 teaspoon of Lemishine in 1 gallon of tap water. Somewhere I read or heard that when you finish tumbling, it is very important to quickly rinse the brass and to rinse it multiple times. I rinse at least four times or as long as I get any dirty water coming off in the rinse. Do not let brass sit and soak in the dirty water and allow only minimal exposure to air prior to rinsing. Lemishine can be hard on the brass if left to dry on the brass. Don't know if it will discolor the brass.

TAB

Back to top Go down

Question for guys using stainless pin tumblers. Empty Re: Question for guys using stainless pin tumblers.

Post by UtahDave Sun 10 Sep 2017, 2:29 am

Lemishine is citric acid and it it can dissolve the zinc in the brass.  If left long enough and with enough Lemishine the brass can turn copper colored.  Don't ask me how I found that out.

I think the discolorization you are seeing might be due to the powder residue getting sort of ground into the brass.  I had that problem and now I prewash the brass in my ultrasonic cleaner, rinse it and put it in the tumbler.  It's much more important on my blackpowder cartridge cases.  

I also rinse with distiller or softened water to prevent those embarrassing stains.  

Dave

UtahDave

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger Sun 10 Sep 2017, 9:02 am

I had a similar problem with the dulling. I found I was using too much lemishine. Backed way off and now they look like new.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by USSR Sun 10 Sep 2017, 9:12 am

You don't say how much Dawn and LemiShine you are using, but I use .5 tablespoon of Dawn and .5 teaspoon of LemiShine without problems.

Don
USSR
USSR

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer Sun 10 Sep 2017, 9:43 am

Similar situation here. I now pop my tumbler open midway through, maybe 15 minutes in, dump all the black water out ,refill with a fresh soap and shine mix and finish another 20 minutes. Nice clean shiny cases.

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Sun 10 Sep 2017, 11:15 am

I use hot water to tumble, when done I rinse 3 times with cold water, separate from the pins, then dry with a towel (Bowling ball technique), then to finish drying I put them in one of those $1 aluminum turkey pans and toss in oven set at 220 for about 30min, with door slightly open, never any dullness.  I process 20-25lb of brass a time (BigDawg tumbler).  1.5tbs Lemi Shine & 6 tbs of Dawn.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Sun 10 Sep 2017, 11:46 am

Well I don't measure the lemishine so it is possible I use too much of it. I've also let the brass sit in the tumbler overnight before.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by USSR Sun 10 Sep 2017, 1:49 pm

zanemoseley wrote:Well I don't measure the lemishine so it is possible I use too much of it. I've also let the brass sit in the tumbler overnight before.

Well, there you go.  Use a specific amount each time, and NEVER let the brass sit in the solution for any period of time.   I do exactly what dronning does.   Rinsing them thoroughly and drying them quickly is the key to bright and shiny brass that stays that way.

Don
USSR
USSR

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger Sun 10 Sep 2017, 2:46 pm

USSR wrote:You don't say how much Dawn and LemiShine you are using, but I use .5 tablespoon of Dawn and .5 teaspoon of LemiShine without problems.

Don
I can only estimate because I don't use any kind of measuring device. My estimate would be 1/3 teaspoon of Dawn and 1/4 teaspoon of Lemishine.
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger Sun 10 Sep 2017, 2:49 pm

Multiracer wrote:Similar situation here. I now pop my tumbler open midway through, maybe 15 minutes in, dump all the black water out ,refill with a fresh soap and shine mix and finish another 20 minutes. Nice clean shiny cases.
I'll have to give that a try. I usually throw everything in and run for 2.5 hours.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Sun 10 Sep 2017, 4:37 pm

dronning wrote:dry with a towel (Bowling ball technique)
- Dave

Like this?

Question for guys using stainless pin tumblers. Giphy
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Sun 10 Sep 2017, 4:40 pm

john bickar wrote:
- Dave

Like this?

Question for guys using stainless pin tumblers. Giphy
lol! Yep but I don't do the squat, but hey maybe that would help me develop a more stable stance Wink
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger Sun 10 Sep 2017, 7:07 pm

messenger wrote:
Multiracer wrote:Similar situation here. I now pop my tumbler open midway through, maybe 15 minutes in, dump all the black water out ,refill with a fresh soap and shine mix and finish another 20 minutes. Nice clean shiny cases.
I'll have to give that a try. I usually throw everything in and run for 2.5 hours.

Bill
I just finished your trying technique. Works slick! My brass has never looked better. Thanks.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer Sun 10 Sep 2017, 7:19 pm

messenger wrote:

Bill
I think 2.5 hours is way too much exposure to the citrus chemical and too much abrasion from the pins. Once fired brass should be squeaky clean in less than an hour.

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Sun 10 Sep 2017, 7:42 pm

dronning wrote:
john bickar wrote:
- Dave

Like this?

lol! Yep but I don't do the squat, but hey maybe that would help me develop a more stable stance Wink

Great - glad I could help!
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Sun 10 Sep 2017, 7:59 pm

Also you might want to just clean your pins solo with water and some simple green.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Sun 10 Sep 2017, 9:03 pm

I dumped my lemishine in a zip lock bag and used a 45 case to measure out, does that sound about right.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer Sun 10 Sep 2017, 9:15 pm

Chris Miceli wrote:Also you might want to just clean your pins solo with water and some simple green.
This is mandatory, otherwise you end up with black water from the manufacturing oils for six case loads.
I had to clean mine five or six times solo.

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger Sun 10 Sep 2017, 10:12 pm

Multiracer wrote:
I think 2.5 hours is way too much exposure to the citrus chemical and too much abrasion from the pins. Once fired brass should be squeaky clean in less than an hour.

I believe you are correct. After using your technique the cases came out like new.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer Sun 10 Sep 2017, 10:43 pm

Well that is good to hear. If you have any nickel plated cases cut the time almost in half.

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1joel1 Mon 11 Sep 2017, 12:20 pm

I use a food hydrator to dry the brass after tumbling.

Joel

1joel1

Back to top Go down

Question for guys using stainless pin tumblers. Empty Dry time

Post by Multiracer Mon 11 Sep 2017, 2:33 pm

Oven, cookie sheet, 200 degrees, fifteen minutes.

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down