Well, I did it.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Well, I did it.

Post by USSR on 9/11/2017, 5:20 pm

I'm a revolver guy.   Live and breath older (50's, 60's, and 70's) Smith & Wessons.   However, I have an old Series 70 Gold Cup that I bought used about 25 years ago.   Recently I got it out and put a few rounds thru it, only to find that the extractor was toast.   So, since I am not the kind of guy to just do halfway measures like simply replace the extractor, I just ordered the following: Kart Xact Fit NM barrel and bushing, EGW Oversize firing pin stop, and a Wilson Combat Fool Proof Extractor.   My local gunsmith says he has worked on Bullseye 1911's before, so I am entrusting the smithing work to him.   Should be interesting.   If anyone has any advice regarding what I should make sure the gunsmith understands, I am all ears.

Don

USSR

Back to top Go down

Re: Well, I did it.

Post by Chris Miceli on 9/11/2017, 7:00 pm

unless he is know in the bullseye community..... i wouldn't risk it when so many bullseye smiths are around. best case everything goes great.... worst case you have to redo all his barrel fitting.  The fact that you are using an xact fit for a gunsmith install is already iffy.
Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by USSR on 9/11/2017, 7:12 pm

Well, ya takes your chances.   The Gold Cup will not be shot in Bullseye competition, it is merely to have the Gold Cup be more accurate than it is now.   If it shoots well and reliably, I'm a happy camper.

Don

USSR

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 on 9/11/2017, 7:34 pm

I suppose since you are not accuracy obsessed like some here, your setup will be fine but if I felt like I needed to tell my gunsmith something I would probably look for another gunsmith. just my take.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by USSR on 9/11/2017, 7:43 pm

Hmm, maybe the wrong site to ask a question.   Will move on to a friendlier site.

Don

USSR

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli on 9/11/2017, 7:44 pm

USSR wrote:Well, ya takes your chances.   The Gold Cup will not be shot in Bullseye competition, it is merely to have the Gold Cup be more accurate than it is now.   If it shoots well and reliably, I'm a happy camper.

Don
Just throw a custom made egw  bushing and call it done.

Last edited by Chris Miceli on 9/11/2017, 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Wells on 9/11/2017, 8:06 pm

USSR wrote:Hmm, maybe the wrong site to ask a question.   Will move on to a friendlier site.

Don
No, I think that you got the site correct.
I think that all of the responses are appropriate.
When I wanted my Hoag longslide re-done, I sent it to Mr. Jon Eulette at the advice of several members.
I'm glad that I listened to them, Jon did an exceptional job.
God Bless and good luck. I did years back what you are about to do, and the job got messed up sp bad I ended up basically scrapping the gun and project.

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by USSR on 9/11/2017, 8:13 pm

Funny you should mention Jon.   He was my first choice, however, there are reasons why I am unable to ship my handgun to him.

Don

USSR

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 on 9/11/2017, 8:34 pm

You could send a PM to Ed Hall. He lives in upstate NY and should a know reputable 1911 'smith in the area.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Wells on 9/11/2017, 9:02 pm

USSR wrote:Funny you should mention Jon.   He was my first choice, however, there are reasons why I am unable to ship my handgun to him.

Don
Sorry to hear, Sir.
I am fortunate that Jon shoots with somebody over a few towns and that person took my gun to Jon.

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by USSR on 9/12/2017, 5:54 am

To tell you the truth, I'm not too worried about letting my local smith handle this.   First, the Kart Xact barrel with bushing is advertised as being able to be installed by the owner in 1 hour (Hah!), so my gunsmith who has worked on 1911's before and has all the tools should easily be able to handle it.   Plus, I've known him for many years and consider him a friend.   So, we shall see.

Don

USSR

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley on 9/12/2017, 10:42 am

Good gunsmiths are where you find them.  Many cannot specialize on any one type of gun building.  It doesn't mean they can't build an accurate pistol or rifle.

Wobbley

Back to top Go down

Post by USSR on 9/12/2017, 10:57 am

Wobbley wrote:Good gunsmiths are where you find them.  Many cannot specialize on any one type of gun building.  It doesn't mean they can't build an accurate pistol or rifle.

So true.

Don

USSR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum