New Mantisx Review

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Mantisx Review

Post by gregbenner on 9/12/2017, 1:04 am

My new MantisX firearms training device arrived in the mail today. It is and the electronic sensor which fits either under the barrel or at the base of the magazine and senses and records barrel movement for a brief period before and after the gun is fired either live or dry.

I am a fairly new bull's-eye shooter, currently rated sharpshooter. My recent timed and rapidfire scores are in the low 90s, my slow fire scores suck. When I started attending matches last October I used my wall for GSP expert, but most recently switched  to a Pardini. The matches I attend are usually rimfire and centerfire, which is good since I am terrible with the 45  I shoot a lot, but until very very recently have not really trained. My change of heart is because I'm not improving. I've never liked dry fire, so really don't do it. my theory was that I shot every day with life fire and that was enough

Today, I attached the adapter to the bottom of the magazine on my pardini 32. The MantisX  makes dry fire more interesting, and although my overall scores are reasonably good, when I see immediately is the inconsistency, both in movement during the whole, during the break, and immediately after the hammer falls. The display data (via Bluetooth to my iPhone) is shown in a couple of graphs, quite intriguing

I haven't had a chance to use it yet for life fire, looking forward to seeing if the POI In a rapidfire (particularly with the 45) is consistent with the results of the MantisX

Also, I'm hoping to get a couple of friends of mine who are far better shooters to test it.

I'll post further as I get results

To those who might be interested in more detail, their website has some reasonably good YouTubes attached

I also be very interested in any comments from others who might have experience with this device

https://mantisx.com/

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Re: New Mantisx Review

Post by willnewton on 9/12/2017, 7:44 am

willnewton

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner on 9/12/2017, 8:37 am

Thanks for the link, WN. That was actually the thread that caused me to purchase the MantisX, particularly after reading all the comments, including a couple private conversations with Austin from Mantisx.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner on 9/16/2017, 1:44 pm

I've now had a chance to use the MantisX, so far just for dry firing (although it was originally developed for live fire).  I like it.  First, it makes dry firing more interesting, so it I do it more (in my case I wasn't doing much at all previously).

Secondly, it measures and records barrel movement during the trigger pull sequence (as well as before and after). This system lets me see if I am "jerking" the trigger, and records it so I can verify after each dry fire. I realize some, perhaps all of the better shooters can tell if their fry fire was really smooth or not, but for me, it is nice to be able to confirm.

I have the sensors on  both my Pardini and a 45 magazine. The Pardini is, for me, much easier to control the trigger, perhaps not surprisingly.  Now, I can actually see the difference. It is also fun to compare how a shot "feels" to the actual result on the graph, often confirming what felt really good.

Next, I plan to use it with live fire, as a means of comparing it to how the shot "feels". 

The attached link is from MantisX and shows the three types of results for each shot and how they are displayed.

https://mantisx.com/pages/video-tutorials

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum