Using recorded range commands as an aid during a match - legal?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Using recorded range commands as an aid during a match - legal?

Post by Oleg G on Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

For the last few weeks I included lots of one-shot rapid-fire drills into my dry fire training routine and it helped me to significantly improve my groups in slow fire, as well as rapid fire.
I made a long (15 mins) recording consisting of a sting of partial range commands and one-shot drills for rapid fire.

Each sequence has:
- "Ready on the right"
- "Ready on the left"
- "Ready on the firing line"
- Horn sound to start
- 2 seconds
- Horn sound to stop

Training to this cadence for SF with dry fire really showed me when I need to abort my shots.
Today I used this recording as a cadence for my slow fire practice on the range. The results showed marked improvement over the previous practice sessions.

I am thinking of using this recorded cadence during SF strings in a match. I have the recording on my phone and can connect the phone to my electronic ear protection headphones, so only I can hear what is playing on the phone.
The question I have is - will I be breaking any rules by using this recorded cadence during a match as an aid?

Thanks for advice as always,
Oleg.
avatar
Oleg G

Posts : 162
Join date : 2016-05-12
Location : North-Eastern PA

Back to top Go down


Re: Using recorded range commands as an aid during a match - legal?

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:30 pm

I have an idea. Would someone with some pull convince a match's director to allow recording of an entire match with professional equipment for download? That would fill a big gap. I'm disabled, and I don't get to many matches.


I wondered what those butterfly nets were until I did an image search for "brass catcher".

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Using recorded range commands as an aid during a match - legal?

Post by Ed Hall on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:12 am

Last century, when Windows 98 was new, (and I was building target controllers), I recorded the individual commands for an entire match and wrote a program to play the commands and control targets.  It optionally could provide a buzzer if no target system was available and all the commands were displayed so a user could read them instead of playing them.  I actually used the program on a laptop to call an entire match without personally saying a command.  With future versions of Windows, the parallel port, which was used for target control, was locked up so that I couldn't use that feature.  Now, there aren't any parallel ports and I haven't looked at trying to use the USB port due to everything having to be programmatically linked now.  I also discovered that the use of the computer slowed the match considerably, although I didn't study why.  The commands were also prior to the addition of the ECI and other command changes in the rule book.  I have never updated the commands, since no one was interested in the program and it has been such a long time since I wrote it.  I'm sure, being a Window98 32-bit program would cause any newer version of Windows to complain, but if there is interest, let me know and perhaps I can look at updating the program to this century if there is enough interest.

Ed Hall

Posts : 598
Join date : 2012-09-11
Location : Adirondack Mountains

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Re: Using recorded range commands as an aid during a match - legal?

Post by dronning on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:36 am

wesleytilson@gmail.com wrote:I have an idea. Would someone with some pull convince a match's director to allow recording of an entire match with professional equipment for download? That would fill a big gap. I'm disabled, and I don't get to many matches.
I use the iPhone app "Bullseye Range Commands" when I practice alone at the local range I use a cord to the input on my electric ear muffs.  When several of us go I bring a blue tooth speaker and we use that to run a "match" and it works great!

There is an Android version by the same developer - David Divins 
- Dave
avatar
dronning

Posts : 1925
Join date : 2013-03-20
Age : 65
Location : Lakeville, MN

Back to top Go down

Re: Using recorded range commands as an aid during a match - legal?

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:23 pm

Ed Hall wrote:Last century, when Windows 98 was new, (and I was building target controllers), I recorded the individual commands for an entire match and wrote a program to play the commands and control targets.  It optionally could provide a buzzer if no target system was available and all the commands were displayed so a user could read them instead of playing them.  I actually used the program on a laptop to call an entire match without personally saying a command.  With future versions of Windows, the parallel port, which was used for target control, was locked up so that I couldn't use that feature.  Now, there aren't any parallel ports and I haven't looked at trying to use the USB port due to everything having to be programmatically linked now.  I also discovered that the use of the computer slowed the match considerably, although I didn't study why.  The commands were also prior to the addition of the ECI and other command changes in the rule book.  I have never updated the commands, since no one was interested in the program and it has been such a long time since I wrote it.  I'm sure, being a Window98 32-bit program would cause any newer version of Windows to complain, but if there is interest, let me know and perhaps I can look at updating the program to this century if there is enough interest.
Do you still have the text source code? 
What coding language is it in?
I've done a bit of programming in my time.
Perhaps I could help.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Using recorded range commands as an aid during a match - legal?

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:30 pm

There is an Android version by the same developer - David Divins 
- Dave

It's good, but it needs the sound of gunfire IMHO.

There's also Bullseye Timer, Dry Practice Drill, Bullseye Target Manager, and a bunch more on Android.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Using recorded range commands as an aid during a match - legal?

Post by Ed Hall on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:33 pm

wesleytilson@gmail.com wrote:Do you still have the text source code? 
What coding language is it in?
I've done a bit of programming in my time.
Perhaps I could help.
I'm sure the source code is somewhere around.  It was probably C++ with Win32 API calls.  I know the help file doesn't work because MS changed something about them, so it would need work, too.  Another thing I would change is that all the text was hard coded into the file so it would be self-contained.  I did that so it couldn't be changed by the normal users, but it also meant I couldn't change the commands without re-compiling.  Of course, if you change the commands' text, you must also change the playable command files.  I think all of those files are in .wav format.  And, if you change a voice file, it will never match an earlier sound, so all the files have to be recorded again.  It just gets more and more involved.  I'll have to take a look at whether I can still code for Windows, maybe Win7.  That should work with current versions for a while...

Ed Hall

Posts : 598
Join date : 2012-09-11
Location : Adirondack Mountains

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Re: Using recorded range commands as an aid during a match - legal?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum