Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not a reloading question but can be considered a technique.

+3
NuJudge
CR10X
Steve Brown
7 posters

Go down

Not a reloading question but can be considered a technique. Empty Not a reloading question but can be considered a technique.

Post by Guest 10/14/2017, 7:01 am

I have read that many shooters use the 1911 .45 ACP for both the centerfire section and, of course, the .45 section. For me, it will save the cost of another pistol. I haven't yet gone into reloading. Are there preferable factory loads for the many stages and sections of a match? I checked into Atlanta Arms Elite 185 grain. It's not that much more expensive than the discount range ammo online.

Centerfire
  25 yard 
      slow fire
      timed / rapid fire

50 yard 
      slow fire
      timed / rapid fire

.45  25 yard 
      slow fire
      timed / rapid fire

50 yard 
      slow fire
      timed / rapid fire

PS Where can I order all the myriad targets for match practice? Amazon does not have a good selection.

Back to top Go down

Not a reloading question but can be considered a technique. Empty Re: Not a reloading question but can be considered a technique.

Post by Steve Brown 10/14/2017, 10:50 am

Targets:

American Target Company  http://americantargetcompany.com/

National Target Company  http://www.nationaltarget.com/

Pistoleeer  http://www.pistoleer.com/shooting-targets/

Kruger USA  http://www.kruger-us-targets.com/

Kruger targets use high quality paper which is great especially for Air Pistol/Rifle and Smallbore.  Probably overkill for Bullseye.

Make sure you check shipping costs when you price compare.

Steve Brown

Back to top Go down

Not a reloading question but can be considered a technique. Empty Re: Not a reloading question but can be considered a technique.

Post by CR10X 10/14/2017, 10:53 am

Here, this makes it a Fundamentals response: 

Yes, most shooters use the .45 for Centerfire and .45 Aggregate matches.

You can shoot factory ammo, but why?  If you do not reload yet, then stick with the .22 for a while.  I generally recommend a year or 2 with the .22 to get the basics down and improve the learning curve.  I hate to use scores, but getting to Expert or Master with the .22 will put someone way ahead when getting to the .45.   So just save the money from buying factory loads for reloading and shoot the .22.  

Most outdoor matches are either at 50 yards (slow fire) & 25 yards (timed and rapid) so a B6 and B8 target will be all that's needed for those.  Just a few full face B6 or B8 targets and then lots of B6 and B8 repair centers.  

Other matches may be only 25 yards (slow, timed and rapid) so you would only also need to replace the B6 targets with B-16 targets (50 yard slow fire target reduced for 25 yards).  

Indoors, there are multiple reduced targets for matches.  Simply read the rule book. 

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/14/2017, 11:53 am

Re: Not a reloading question but can be considered a technique.

Re: Post by Steve Brown Today at 7:50 am aboutTargets:
Thanks for the links to targets.

Re: Post by CR10X Today at 7:53 am
Thanks for the wisdom on shooting the .22 over the .45.
I committed to buying the .45, so I’ll shoot it a few times to break it in.
I have about a million .22 rounds, so I’ll concentrate on shooting those.

Back to top Go down

Post by NuJudge 10/14/2017, 12:37 pm

After you get the 1911 .45, you can get a match-quality .22 Conversion for it, and then just shoot .22 for awhile.

NuJudge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/14/2017, 1:27 pm

NuJudge wrote:After you get the 1911 .45, you can get a match-quality .22 Conversion for it, and then just shoot .22 for awhile.

I found a German made 1911 .22lr. 

Not a reloading question but can be considered a technique. GSG-1911-Target-22LRAmerican Tactical Imports GSG 1911 Target 22LRNot a reloading question but can be considered a technique. UM3UM3 Sight Mount

BRAND: American Tactical Imports # OF MAGS: 1
MODEL: GSG 1911 Target SAFETY: Manual Safety, Magazine Disconnect Safety
TYPE: Pistol: Semi-Auto SIGHTS: Low Profile Adjustable
CALIBER: 22LR BARREL LENGTH: 5
FINISH: Blue OVERALL LENGTH: 8.5
ACTION: Single Action WEIGHT: 34.4 oz
STOCK: Molded Walnut Target Style Grips
Includes 5 Front Sight Blades
CAPACITY: 10+1
FEATURES: Threaded Barrel
RECEIVER: Blue, Picatinny Rail
SAFETY: Manual Safety, 
Magazine Disconnect Safety

I'm putting a UM3 sight mount on the rail and mounting a Sightmkark Wolverine CSR Red Dot on it. No gunsmithing. No contact with the slide. Iron sights remain usable.

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 10/14/2017, 1:33 pm

wesleytilson@gmail.com. wrote:I have about a million .22 rounds, so I’ll concentrate on shooting those.
Bench test and see which of the 22 ammo you have are the most accurate in your 22.  Some may be great, and some will look more like a shotgun pattern.  Nothing more frustrating than not knowing if the 7 you just shot was due to the ammo, gun or you.  Starting out you may not be able to call your shot placement but eventually you will.

Have fun be safe!
- Dave

FYI When bench rested most 22's with good ammo will hold the Xring at 50yds (1.7" group) and at least the 10 ring (3.4" group).
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 10/14/2017, 1:58 pm

wesleytilson@gmail.com wrote:
NuJudge wrote:After you get the 1911 .45, you can get a match-quality .22 Conversion for it, and then just shoot .22 for awhile.

Not a reloading question but can be considered a technique. GSG-1911-Target-22LRAmerican Tactical Imports GSG 1911 Target 22LRNot a reloading question but can be considered a technique. UM3UM3 Sight Mount

I know nothing about that gun accuracy or can 1911 parts actually be used to upgrade trigger etc.., can the rear sight be replaced with an adjustable one, for when you do want to shoot irons?

Also if you don't have that mount yet you may want to hold off.  It looks like the same one my buddy got and the fast disconnect wouldn't hold the mount tight enough and moved with recoil.  He replaced it with one that has the traditional clamp.  I'll give him a call later today to see if it is the same one.  He figured out the mount was loose when the gun wouldn't group well with the optic but did with irons.  This was on a 45 so maybe you might be OK.

- Dave
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/14/2017, 2:20 pm

dronning wrote:
wesleytilson@gmail.com wrote:

I know nothing about that gun accuracy or can 1911 parts actually be used to upgrade trigger etc.., can the rear sight be replaced with an adjustable one, for when you do want to shoot irons?

Also if you don't have that mount yet you may want to hold off.  It looks like the same one my buddy got and the fast disconnect wouldn't hold the mount tight enough and moved with recoil.  He replaced it with one that has the traditional clamp.  I'll give him a call later today to see if it is the same one.  He figured out the mount was loose when the gun wouldn't group well with the optic but did with irons.  This was on a 45 so maybe you might be OK.

- Dave
- Dave

I can return it to Amazon up until the 31st. I am getting an Aimtech Scope Mount for my Colt 1911. I will see whether it will fit the GSG. It will mean losing the right side of that grip on the GSG, though. My Colt does not have that gold-tone finish.:-)

Not a reloading question but can be considered a technique. AimTech-Mount

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 10/14/2017, 3:33 pm

Ammo:  http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RZD&Category_Code=ZBA-45ACP

Buy it by the 1000
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/14/2017, 4:29 pm

Wobbley wrote:Ammo:  http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RZD&Category_Code=ZBA-45ACP

Buy it by the 1000
Nice!

Back to top Go down

Post by davekp 10/15/2017, 12:54 pm

I think you've started down the wrong path with this pistol. I know it is inexpensive for a target 22, but it has apparently a die cast zinc receiver, and needs high velocity ammo. If it was very good, there would have been a lot of discussion here. 
I recommend at least a Ruger, or the newer Smith&Wesson Victory.
I think there is a club in Brooksville- get ahold of them and maybe go watch a match and meet some shooters there.

davekp

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 10/15/2017, 2:13 pm

I started bullseye pistol match shooting with a .22 Ruger MK I because that was all I could afford. I had fun. I got reclassified from Marksman to Sharpshooter. When I started shooting a 1911, it was unfortunately with a Series 70 Gold Cup which wasn't very accurate at 50 yards, but it probably wouldn't have mattered, because my skill with the 1911 wasn't up to par. It was a blow to the old ego, when my combined aggregate tumbled (centerfire and .45 are 2/3 of the match). I eventually bought an accurized 1911 from Jim Clark, Sr. With a lot of work, I eventually (many years) worked my way up to Master and got the Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge.  I didn't live close to a bullseye club. Even with the help of training materials like "The Pistol Shooter's Treasury" I developed bad habits and was slow to recognize them. A good coach would have been a God send, especially since I consider myself to have no natural ability. My advice is to select equipment from what the top shooters use. Get a rulebook (it is free online at the NRA website). Get some good books regarding bullseye pistol shooting. If you can find a BULLSEYE coach, do so. You are starting at an advanced age, but you can still have fun and who knows, unlike me, you may have talent. You've already received good advice on targets and ammo.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/15/2017, 3:04 pm

davekp wrote:I think you've started down the wrong path with this pistol. I know it is inexpensive for a target 22, but it has apparently a die cast zinc receiver, and needs high velocity ammo. If it was very good, there would have been a lot of discussion here. 
I recommend at least a Ruger, or the newer Smith&Wesson Victory.
I think there is a club in Brooksville- get ahold of them and maybe go watch a match and meet some shooters there.
 Now that I searched for the, "zinc," quote, I found it here:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/03/joe-grine/gun-review-german-sport-guns-gsg-1911-22/

It seems I already had that one built. I think I'll stick with the Victory.

Not a reloading question but can be considered a technique. S&W-Victory-Customised

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/15/2017, 4:26 pm

Re: "Get a rulebook (it is free online at the NRA website). Get some good books regarding bullseye pistol shooting. If you can find a BULLSEYE coach, do so. You are starting at an advanced age, but you can still have fun and who knows, unlike me, you may have talent. You've already received good advice on targets and ammo."

Those NRA rule books need to be condensed into a, "For Dummies," format for me.

I have found plenty of books about practical pistol shooting and combat pistol shooting, etc. but few about Precision Pistol/Bullseye Shooting. The Pistol Shooter's Treasury, by Gil Hebard, goes for $35.00 - $90.00 in used paperback on Amazon. I need to be able to search by title or author, not subject to find additional sources of information. Not a reloading question but can be considered a technique. 1883569342

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/15/2017, 5:21 pm

In http://www.bullseyegear.com/bullseyepistolreviews/?page_id=9 I found more articles:

"Buying Your Way To Pistol Mastery", by Gil Hebard
"Mental Aspects of Match Shooting", by Joe White
"Why A Custom Handgun", by Dick Shockey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/15/2017, 6:26 pm

Steve Brown wrote:Targets:

American Target Company  http://americantargetcompany.com/

National Target Company  http://www.nationaltarget.com/

Pistoleeer  http://www.pistoleer.com/shooting-targets/

Kruger USA  http://www.kruger-us-targets.com/

Kruger targets use high quality paper which is great especially for Air Pistol/Rifle and Smallbore.  Probably overkill for Bullseye.

Make sure you check shipping costs when you price compare.

I have taken the liberty of summarizing the information from these sites. National Target Company's stated prices seem to be the most economical.

Bullseye Targets

Based on source material posted by Steve Brown and CR10X on the BullseyeL Forum

Most outdoor matches are either at 50 yards (slow fire) & 25 yards (timed and rapid) so a B6 and B8 target will be all that's needed for those. Just a few full face B6 or B8 targets and then lots of B6 and B8 repair centers.
Other matches may be only 25 yards (slow, timed and rapid) so you would only also need to replace the B6 targets with B-16 targets (50 yard slow fire target reduced for 25 yards).

National Target Company
(800) 827-7060
http://www.nationaltarget.com/index.php/all-pistol-targets-nra-official-and-non-official-competition-targets-pistol-c-23_40

B6 target, 50 yards (slow fire)
Per 100: $24.00

B6 repair centers
Per 100: $7.00

B8 target, 25 yards (timed and rapid)
Per 100: $24.00

B8 repair centers.
None Listed

B-16 target, 25 yards
(slow, timed and rapid)
(50 yard slow fire target reduced for 25 yards)
Per 100: $12.00

American Target Company 
http://americantargetcompany.com/pistol_targets.asp

Per 250: $35.00

B6 repair centers
Per 500: $22.75

Per 250: $35.00

B8 repair centers.
Per 500: $22.75

B-16 target, 25 yards
(slow, timed and rapid)
Per 250: $27.50

Pistoleeer 
618-288-4588
http://www.pistoleer.com/shooting-targets/handgun

Per 25: 15.16

B6 repair centers
Per 100: 10.99

Per 50: 34.98

B8 repair centers.
Per 100: 26.79

B-16 target, 25 yards
(slow, timed and rapid)
Per 100: 10.99

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down