Advantage Arms 1911 .22 Target conversion

Go down

Advantage Arms 1911 .22 Target conversion

Post by flphotog on 10/29/2017, 10:13 am

I just picked up an Advantage Arms conversion kit and looking around online it looks very similar to the Nelson conversion. I was just wondering if anyone knows just how close it is and if any of the parts were interchangeable?

flphotog

Posts : 21
Join date : 2014-12-06
Location : West Central Florida

http://www.carsonwilcox.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Advantage Arms 1911 .22 Target conversion

Post by Jack H on 10/29/2017, 2:50 pm

I have used both AA and Nelson.  Marvel Precision too.  I have no more Marvels, not that they are bad though.  Nelson and AA are both accurate and function fine.  The only thing on the AA I would avoid are the early ones that have the stop insert screws at both ends of the insert.  The newer square plate design insert behind the stop seems ok.  The early insert broke two times on me.  So far the plate insert is doing fine.       I do not know of any AA-Nelson parts compatibility except mags, and the ribs probably could be made to work on either.   I know the MP ribs can be adapted to the Nelson.  Done that 3 times.
avatar
Jack H

Posts : 1604
Join date : 2011-06-10
Location : Oregon

Back to top Go down

Re: Advantage Arms 1911 .22 Target conversion

Post by flphotog on 10/29/2017, 3:56 pm

Jack H wrote:I have used both AA and Nelson.  Marvel Precision too.  I have no more Marvels, not that they are bad though.  Nelson and AA are both accurate and function fine.  The only thing on the AA I would avoid are the early ones that have the stop insert screws at both ends of the insert.  The newer square plate design insert behind the stop seems ok.  The early insert broke two times on me.  So far the plate insert is doing fine.       I do not know of any AA-Nelson parts compatibility except mags, and the ribs probably could be made to work on either.   I know the MP ribs can be adapted to the Nelson.  Done that 3 times.
Thanks, actually I was looking for enough Nelson parts to buy to justify getting the mag loader. At least looking at the pictures it looks like the buffer, guide rod and recoil springs might cross over but it's hard to tell just looking at the pictures.
The AA mag loader works fine but I'll never be able to keep track of it in my range bag.

flphotog

Posts : 21
Join date : 2014-12-06
Location : West Central Florida

http://www.carsonwilcox.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Advantage Arms 1911 .22 Target conversion

Post by james r chapman on 10/29/2017, 5:17 pm

The AA mag loader works for both, the Nelson will not unless you drill the holes larger, I think
avatar
james r chapman
Admin

Posts : 2849
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 69
Location : HELL, Michigan

Back to top Go down

Re: Advantage Arms 1911 .22 Target conversion

Post by Jack H on 10/29/2017, 5:37 pm

I never swapped springs or guide rods.  Never had to.  I see no reason they won't swap if the threads are the same. 

An allen wrench works fine for working the mag follower down.  The springs should work.  You wont need the 10# Nelson, probably not even the standard 9# Nelson.  I use the 8# in mine.  Actually I do have a Nelson buffer in the AA.  My AA slide is the design era they say needs no buffer.  Because of the weight difference between the RO and LB lowers I use, I had Roddy drill MP ribs which are aluminum vs steel.  The heavier lower with the lighter rib equals the weight of the lighter lower with the steel rib.  Perfect world.
avatar
Jack H

Posts : 1604
Join date : 2011-06-10
Location : Oregon

Back to top Go down

Re: Advantage Arms 1911 .22 Target conversion

Post by Jack H on 10/29/2017, 5:46 pm

james r chapman wrote:The AA mag loader works for both, the Nelson will not unless you drill the holes larger, I think
You are correct, sir.  The AA hole is just a tiny tiny bit smaller.  One drill size up should do it. 

I like using an allen wrench or a small piano wire anyway.  Weld rod would do too.
avatar
Jack H

Posts : 1604
Join date : 2011-06-10
Location : Oregon

Back to top Go down

Re: Advantage Arms 1911 .22 Target conversion

Post by flphotog on 10/30/2017, 6:34 am

Jack H wrote:
james r chapman wrote:The AA mag loader works for both, the Nelson will not unless you drill the holes larger, I think
You are correct, sir.  The AA hole is just a tiny tiny bit smaller.  One drill size up should do it. 

I like using an allen wrench or a small piano wire anyway.  Weld rod would do too.
Thanks very much, actually I've cut a couple pieces of brass rod I had laying around to use to load the mags, so if I loose a couple no problem. I do appreciate all of the answers.
Heading to the range this morning for the first time with the AA, iron sights today, should have the rail later this week, already have the red dot I'll be using so will be trying that set up next week some time. my old eyes really need the red dot.

flphotog

Posts : 21
Join date : 2014-12-06
Location : West Central Florida

http://www.carsonwilcox.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Advantage Arms 1911 .22 Target conversion

Post by Rob Kovach on 11/2/2017, 5:46 pm

I use AA conversions. I use color coded Marvel springs.
The Marvel guide rods are also interchangeable.
avatar
Rob Kovach
Admin

Posts : 2702
Join date : 2011-06-13
Age : 45
Location : Brooklyn, WI

Back to top Go down

Re: Advantage Arms 1911 .22 Target conversion

Post by flphotog on 11/2/2017, 5:51 pm

Rob Kovach wrote:I use AA conversions. I use color coded Marvel springs.
The Marvel guide rods are also interchangeable.
Thanks. Installed the rail and red dot today so back to the range tomorrow. Had some major issues the last range trip but I think they are worked out now, hoping so at any rate, only taking the one gun tomorrow so if it doesn't work it will be a short trip.

flphotog

Posts : 21
Join date : 2014-12-06
Location : West Central Florida

http://www.carsonwilcox.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Advantage Arms 1911 .22 Target conversion

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum