Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is a TC bullet a SWC?

+4
Allgoodhits
Chris Miceli
Ghillieman
Bruce in WV
8 posters

Go down

Is a TC bullet a SWC? Empty Is a TC bullet a SWC?

Post by Bruce in WV 10/29/2017, 11:20 am

The NRA DR rule is that ammunition is any safe 38 caliber 158gr round nose or semi-wadcutter ammunition.
I'm ordering bullets to reload for my project to learn to shoot a revolver well and compete in club-level DR competitions. The custom bullet manufacturer recommended his truncated cone bullet as the most accurate for this task and commented that the TC is legally a SWC.

Can anybody with knowledge of NRA rules committee proceeding verify this?
Bruce in WV
Bruce in WV

Back to top Go down

Is a TC bullet a SWC? Empty Re: Is a TC bullet a SWC?

Post by Ghillieman 10/29/2017, 1:43 pm

Truncated cone is not a semi-wadcutter.
Best advice I can give is to order a hundred of RN and a hundred SWC, and see what shoots best in your revolver.
Ghillieman
Ghillieman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce in WV 10/29/2017, 4:08 pm

Does your response reflect a rules committee conclusion or a personal observation based on the appearance of the bullet? I'm looking for an official ruling, please...
Bruce in WV
Bruce in WV

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 10/29/2017, 4:47 pm

I can’t remember exactly what we discussed at the meeting but the new rule was suppose to be any safe 158...I think. A new rule book has yet to come out

Last edited by Chris Miceli on 10/30/2017, 5:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce in WV 10/29/2017, 9:20 pm

Thank you. That's what I needed to know. I'll be ready to transition whenever the new rule book comes out.
Bruce in WV
Bruce in WV

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 10/29/2017, 9:39 pm

Isn't it also true that CMP has backed off of "jacketed" as only meaning copper jacket" for center fire EIC matches? In other words jacketed, plated or polymer coated are all acceptable, but exposed all lead bullets are still not permitted. Anyone know for sure on this?

Regarding the TC bullet question. It may or may not be a SWC or a RN, but it definitely isn't a WC. The TC are nothing but a HP without the hole. If jacketed or coated HP are permitted, certainly TC should be. In time they will be, that's for sure. Good luck getting a definitive answer from anyone that matters.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj 10/30/2017, 1:05 am

Since a TC is NOT a SWC, then a rule that says RN or SWC would not permit TC. I am not sure what the issue is about the rule as stated, unless someone thinks the committee has no idea what they are specifying.

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 10/30/2017, 5:49 am

No, a Truncated Cone (TC) bullet is not a Semi-Wadcutter (SWC) or Round Nose (RN) according to the diagrams and descriptions on page 60 of the NRA Firearms Fact Book, Third Edition, 1989. 

In essence a RN projectile would need to have a "round nose" profile and a SWC projectile will need a shoulder where the nose or forward portion of the bullet meets the full diameter of the projectile. A TC projectile has neither of these qualities. 

Until the language is change in the rules, then the words speak for themselves.

On the other hand, I never got better accuracy with a TC bullet in a revolver as all of those projectiles I have ever encountered did not have a crimp groove and therefore case tension and crimp was always an issue.  I found that good quality standard RN provided the best DR accuracy in my guns.

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 10/30/2017, 6:29 am

Bruce in WV wrote:The custom bullet manufacturer recommended his truncated cone bullet as the most accurate for this task and commented that the TC is legally a SWC.
Really?  You believe that without testing for yourself, with your gun?  I don't believe they are trying to mislead you but not every gun and sometimes not even the same make and model shoot the same bullet with the same results.  

A true TC is not a RN or SWC so as the rule stands they are not legal.  Current rule: (e) Ammunition- Any safe .38 caliber ammunition using the 158 grain round nose or Semi-Wadcutter bullet only. 

Wait for the new rules to be published in Feb. or Mar.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt 10/30/2017, 7:14 am

Allgoodhits wrote:Isn't it also true that CMP has backed off of "jacketed" as only meaning copper jacket" for center fire EIC matches? In other words jacketed, plated or polymer coated are all acceptable, but exposed all lead bullets are still not permitted. Anyone know for sure on this?

Regarding the TC bullet question. It may or may not be a SWC or a RN, but it definitely isn't a WC. The TC are nothing but a HP without the hole. If jacketed or coated HP are permitted, certainly TC should be. In time they will be, that's for sure. Good luck getting a definitive answer from anyone that matters.

For the Service Pistol EIC, you can shoot either jacketed or metal-plated, polymer is not included in the rule.  For the as-issued Games matches, you still need to shoot 230 grain FMJ's.

See Rule 6.4.2 in the Service Pistol/Rifle rule book and 7.2.2 in the Games rule book.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghillieman 10/31/2017, 6:06 pm

Bruce in WV wrote:Does your response reflect a rules committee conclusion or a personal observation based on the appearance of the bullet? I'm looking for an official ruling, please...
Ok Bruce, fair enough, official ruling from the NRA Pistol Rules revised March 2016:
Rule 3.1.4 (e) Ammunition- Any safe .38 caliber ammunition using the 158 grain round nose or Semi-Wadcutter bullet only.

Match directors are not going to allow any other bullet that what is described in this rule. I have a 50cal ammo can full of 38spl round nosed flat bullets that shoot outstanding through my revolver, but I have been told twice by two different match directors that they are not legal for NRA Distinguished Revolver. Why, because they were not strictly round nose bullets. Buy those truncated cone bullets if you want, but you run the risk of being disqualified if you use them in this match.

As for the possibility of the NRA changing this rule for next year. I am the one who suggested this rule change at the NRA competitors meeting at Camp Perry this year. I specifically asked to change the wording of the rule to allow ANY 158gr bullet. Some people thought it was a good idea, some people were against it, the NRA said to write down the suggested rule change on the forms available at the meeting and they will look into it. I did, so maybe they will.

Either way, I'm already Distinguished, so I will be concentrating on other things.
Ghillieman
Ghillieman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce in WV 10/31/2017, 6:54 pm

This has been a very educational discussion. Thanks to all for clarifying the issue and giving clear advice. I'll stick with the published guidance, as recommended and focus on MY performance rather than getting bogged down in a technical detail only impacting those far beyond my skill level.
Bruce in WV
Bruce in WV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down