Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

conversion magazines

+9
Jack H
spursnguns
Jon Eulette
Tim:H11
jglenn21
dronning
JKR
robert84010
jmdavis
13 posters

Go down

conversion magazines Empty conversion magazines

Post by jmdavis 11/1/2017, 10:07 am

I have an older Marvel Unit  1. The paperwork is from 2002. The gun shoots well, but recently have had had magazine issues. It reached the point last night in a match where after an alibi on the first Rapid target. I had two failures to feed on the second (one in each string). I drilled for this and got my rounds off but it wasn't pretty. I have been primarily using the Colt Ace magazines that came with the unit. I also have GSG metal and a Nelson plastic mag. I have to fix this. 

The question is... What magazines are people using for their conversions? Any thoughts on tuning 22 conversion magazines. I know how to do this with the high standard, but I don't know what the feed position should look like with the conversion magazine.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

conversion magazines Empty Re: conversion magazines

Post by robert84010 11/1/2017, 10:27 am

How old is the recoil spring? If all your mags started having problems I would look other places. Does the chamber have damage from the extractor, like my early Marvel developed?
Does it do this will all brands of ammo?

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 11/1/2017, 10:42 am

Robert, 

It might be short stroking because the 9lb spring is in there. It worked fine in the summer, but now that temps have dropped to sweater and jacket weather, it is not working as well. I think that I have an 8lb and a 7lb spring. I will find them and see if that helps.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR 11/1/2017, 10:54 am

As suggested above, I'd change the recoil spring if you haven't recently. Another thing to watch for on the Marvel is the guide rod. The spring will wear a ring on it about mid way and that seems to be a source of malfunctions.

As for magazines, some time ago Dave Ronning put me onto Promag plastic mags. I bought two and have used them for about three years now. They're inexpensive and work perfectly. Before that I wore out four GSG mags. They develop a tiny grove were the rim of the cartridge comes up against the feed lips. This causes the cartridge to hang up resulting in failure to feed.

I've used nothing but an 8# spring summer and winter. SV only of course.

Jim

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 11/1/2017, 11:02 am

jmdavis wrote:It worked fine in the summer, but now that temps have dropped to sweater and jacket weather, it is not working as well. I think that I have an 8lb and a 7lb spring. I will find them and see if that helps.

Colder weather has caused more than just a few alibi's, started using Mobil 1 in my Service Rifle years ago, stinks but worked!

Conversion Mags: Both Nelsons and ProMags work well in my Marvel.  Years ago when looking for a replacement mag for my Marvel I tried many and found that the ProMag to be 100% reliable for me.  Cheap too, they are under $15!  I bought 6 on sale for $11.99 ea.  I wasn't a poly mag fan (no reason just didn't seem right) but these turned me around and when I bought my Nelson and it came with poly mags I wasn't at all worried.
- Dave

Jim beat me to it.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 11/1/2017, 11:34 am

on my aluminum slide Marvel I run an 8lb spring and Nelson mags without issue. No lockback
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 11/1/2017, 12:35 pm

I shoot a Nelson. I use the reduced 8 pound recoil spring in mine with the factory plastic magazines it came with. The factory recoil spring is 9 pounds - I find 8 is more reliable with the CCI Standard ammunition I shoot. I also use a reduced weight hammer spring. 20 pounds. Factory or standard I believe is 23 unless I’m mistaken. My Nelson had fits from the very beginning and nothing I tried solved it. I sent it back to Larry and he went through the unit and polished parts and changed out springs and the extractor. When I got it back it now runs flawless. However cold wether can make any 22 I’ve seen or shot have hiccups now and then.

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 11/1/2017, 12:37 pm

Mike,
You could try that GSG mag and if it doesn't feed with that then it probably is the spring weight. My Marvel seems to feed with the GSG mags the best. The metal ones are very, very reliable though. I only seem to get problems with any mag when using Aguila in practice. The dimensions of Aguila are all over the spectrum though so I know where the problem is.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 11/1/2017, 12:49 pm

Thanks all. I will test my GSG and Nelson mags and find my 7 and 8lb springs.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 11/1/2017, 8:06 pm

The 8lb  spring was already in the gun. I will test different magazines and then the 7.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 11/1/2017, 9:04 pm

I only use tuned steel mags. They control the nose of the cartridge during recoil and feed precisely. GSG and plastic mags allow cartridge to flop during recoil/cycling. Not the end of the world but not what I want in a mag.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 11/1/2017, 11:13 pm

I cleaned the gun tonight and installed the 7lb spring. I will clean the original mags well. 

Jon, any hints on what to look for with the mags. I have tuned som HS mags and read the section on tuning 45 mags in Knuhausen.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 11/2/2017, 12:30 am

I use EGW high mag catch and have to shorten the feedlips to clear the slide. Then I bend/tune the feedlips.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns 11/2/2017, 10:52 am

Jon Eulette wrote:I only use tuned steel mags. They control the nose of the cartridge during recoil and feed precisely. GSG and plastic mags allow cartridge to flop during recoil/cycling. Not the end of the world but not what I want in a mag.
Jon

Hello Jon,

Who's steel magazines do you use?  Original Colts?  Knock-offs?

Thanks.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 11/2/2017, 11:19 am

Here are one Ace and 3 Metalform mags.  That is a 22 calibre bit. 

conversion magazines Conv_m10
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Vern 11/2/2017, 11:34 am

Here is a link to an instruction sheet by Bob Marvel on functioning problems  - http://www.guntalk-online.com/images/Marvel_Functioning.pdf

Vern

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 11/2/2017, 2:20 pm

I really appreciate this thread because not once was putting oil on the top round mentioned. Seems like a certain .22lr pistol manufactured in MA. always has the oil superstition attached to any problem.

The guide from Bob Marvel breaks down in detail what to look at. Even specifically says no oil near the bore! Find the actual problem and fix it, don't rely on superstition.

What can I say, it's just a pet peeve of mine. I watched a guy put oil on every magazine he shot at a monthly match for several years. He was always rattled about oil and never knew if the pistol would function.  Fix the damn thing and put your oil away!

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 11/2/2017, 2:33 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:I only use tuned steel mags. They control the nose of the cartridge during recoil and feed precisely. GSG and plastic mags allow cartridge to flop during recoil/cycling. Not the end of the world but not what I want in a mag.
Jon

Even if I have no feed issues with a plastic magazine could the accuracy benefit from a steel magazine vs a plastic magazine?

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 11/2/2017, 3:37 pm

Load a cartridge into the chamber from magazine. Hand eject and look at your bullet tip. Is it deformed at all? Tuned mags can come close to alleviating any tip deformation. You'll still have potential for x-ring accuracy at 50 yds but I just like reducing any potential issues.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

conversion magazines Empty Mag followers

Post by ash 11/2/2017, 4:25 pm

One of my Marvel mag's works great the other one continues to give me a problem.  I suspect the follower.
Are the followers available separately.
Thanks
ash

ash

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave C. 11/11/2017, 11:37 am

Change your recoil spring every 5000 rounds.
Dave C.
Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 11/11/2017, 9:47 pm

Check your firing pin and chamber edge for damage if you dry fire without a plug. Marvel conversions were not made to dry fire without one, at least the old conversions weren’t.  Nelson conversions firing pins are fit so they can be dry fired.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down