Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here is a question for this group......

+8
oldsalt444
Doug Tiedt
bdutton
Gary Wells
STEVE SAMELAK
Left handed troglodyte
Chris Miceli
Multiracer
12 posters

Go down

Here is a question for this group...... Empty Here is a question for this group......

Post by Multiracer 11/13/2017, 6:19 pm

How many shooters are opposite eye dominant from their shooting hand. cyclops cyclops IE: Left eye dominant and right hand shooter.
I would also like to know why if you know ?
Thanks
Ron

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Here is a question for this group...... Empty Re: Here is a question for this group......

Post by Chris Miceli 11/13/2017, 7:31 pm

I think 90% of NC shooters. Must be the water

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Here is a question for this group...... Empty Re: Here is a question for this group......

Post by Left handed troglodyte 11/13/2017, 7:33 pm

Been cross-eyed dominant (left hand/right eye) only due to a weak right eyelid (can't wink). Before Bullseye - closed my left eye as the only option. 

Once started in Bullseye-  been using a patch over the right eye as a simplified isolation using left eye/left hand.

However - have been using both eyes recently during dry fire practice.

Well - you did ask the question....

Left handed troglodyte

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 11/13/2017, 8:24 pm

Just another peculiarity of my life.  Never had an issue with it until some "normal" people tried to interfere/correct.

Still crazy after all these beers.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 11/13/2017, 8:26 pm

Just another peculiarity of my life.  Never had an issue with it until some "normal" people tried to interfere/correct.

Still crazy after all these beers.

Though it does come in handy for weak hand barricade shooting during carbine combat matches.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Wells 11/13/2017, 9:00 pm

I was born right eye, right hand, & right foot dominant but developed advanced glaucoma at age 72 (about 1.5 yrs ago). Before I could get into an eye clinic to take care of my glaucoma my left foot started bothering me. My doc threw me into the hospital immediately. Lost 3 toes & a major portion of my left foot. Glaucoma drops, cataract surgery, & new glasses have me at 20/30 left eye, 20/200 right eye, & left eye is becoming dominant slowly but surely. When I pull up to a pump to fill the tank it looks like I am getting ready to hit the pump but when I get out of the car I'm like 6 feet away & often have to re-position the car to reach a 5 ft hose. I am actually getting to where I am shooting a tad better................at like 10 or 12 ft. Old age doesn't come by itself. I feel much better now &  I'll quit whining.

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by bdutton 11/13/2017, 9:11 pm

I am left eye/right hand.  I use a blocker.  It felt natural as a right handed person to shoot that way.
bdutton
bdutton

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Wells 11/13/2017, 9:41 pm

It takes quite a while to develop the muscle & coordination to squint what was the dominant eye. Also when you do learn to do it, it seems to take some peripheral vision away from the now dominant eye. You are probably better off using the eye patch ASAP & stop the squinting. Eventually you will be able to shoot with both eyes open & the now dominant eye will take over control even with both eyes open.

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Tiedt 11/13/2017, 10:06 pm

Another left eye, right hand dominant.  Shoot bullseye with my right hand, shoot shotgun with my left.

Doug Tiedt

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 11/13/2017, 11:21 pm

I'm one of the lucky 10% of the population that is cross dominant.  I keep both eyes open but use an occluder over my dominant left eye. I also use a Merit optical device over my right eye which helps sharpen the clarity of the sights.

I have absolutely no idea why I'm cross dominant. Always have been. It is what it is. Ya pays yer dues and ya takes yer chances.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 11/14/2017, 3:34 am

Question - for those of you who shoot with either eye, do the sights need to be changed when shifting eyes?

When my brother and I swap our mostly identical S&W Model 41 guns, neither of us shoots as well as with our own gun.  

When I get home, I will try to shoot with my left eye instead of my dominant right eye.  In dry-fire, the only problem is that it doesn't "feel" comfortable, but everything else "felt" fine.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt 11/14/2017, 7:10 am

I'm left eye dominant, shoot right handed.  Pistols with fixed sights shoot to the left for me. All my iron sight pistols have sights adjusted to the right a few clicks.  With a dot, I don't have to adjust to the right.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 11/14/2017, 7:49 am

I'm right handed but left eye dominant.  7 years of three position smallbore in high school and college pretty much trained me to use my right eye. Never really had and issues with any gun with sigjts.. shotguns were another deal though. That took quite a bit of shooting to get decent on the dove fields.  Quail are still a problem.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by 243winxb 11/14/2017, 9:56 am

Another left eye  dominant.   Shoot bullseye with my right hand, right eye. .  Shoot shotgun , rifle and archery  left with left eye.

In the 50's, school teachers would not let us write with the left hand. 
243winxb
243winxb

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer 11/14/2017, 8:02 pm

This is my new conundrum.........my ophthalmologist claims he can not correct the vision in my dominant right eye, best we get is an 80/20
My left non dominant eye is 20/20. I cant really shoot left handed as I have never done anything well left handed.
So the next question to you all is how hard is it going to be to shoot right handed looking from my left eye as I will probably wear an occlude on my right eye ?

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 11/14/2017, 8:18 pm

I didn't "know" it was hard until I was told that it was.
If I was in your position (which I sorta am) I would try a piece of scotch tape across the lens of the eye I don't want to use...cheap, easy, & reversible.  I shoot with both eyes open, right hand left eye dominating with a slight change of posture/ head alignment.  You will have to experiment with different visual aids or learn to adapt.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 11/14/2017, 9:46 pm

Multiracer wrote:.........my ophthalmologist claims he can not correct the vision in my dominant right eye, best we get is an 80/20.......how hard is it going to be to shoot right handed looking from my left eye.......
I don't think my eyes are "typical", but other than the strangeness of my body moving to an unusual position, dry firing with my left eye felt pretty much the same as using my right eye.  As others have said, you'll probably want to put something in front of your right eye so you can't see the target, at least until you're used to it.  (I don't know if my opinion is good for others though, as my eyes have always worked independently, as if I have two cameras to select from.)

Is the reason why your eye doctor can't correct the right eye because of irreparable damage, maybe from macular degeneration or glaucoma?  You may have already explained, but I don't remember.  If that is the case, it's too late to do anything about it, but doctors can do more now than years ago.  That your doctor can't do it might not mean it can't be done.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down