Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New gun butchered slide

4 posters

Go down

New gun butchered slide  Empty New gun butchered slide

Post by Magload 11/17/2017, 1:19 am

Well as my Vortex Viper will be here tomorrow I decided it was time to push out the rear site on this new RIA 38 Super.  I adjusted the sight pusher so it looked just right then went ahead and screwed up the dovetail cut in the slide. Seamed the end of the pusher was wider then the cut.  Finished the job with a punch and mallet.  Then the supposedly GI mound didn't fit the cut anyway.  I have a different adapter coming tomorrow it I can't get it to fit I have plan B or C.  B is to see if one of the smiths on this forum would be interested in installing a rail.  If so PM me.  C is to have the slide milled for the Viper like I did on my RO.  Sometimes this DIY cost more money then just paying a good smith in the first place.  Wish we had one here.  Oh and also I checked the barrel bushing and it rattles on the barrel and is a very loose fit in the slide.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

New gun butchered slide  Empty Re: New gun butchered slide

Post by james r chapman 11/17/2017, 2:46 am

Sometimes this DIY cost more money then just paying a good smith in the first place.

chalk it up to a learning experience..
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 11/17/2017, 2:57 am

james r chapman wrote:
Sometimes this DIY cost more money then just paying a good smith in the first place.

chalk it up to a learning experience..
it is fixable if the EGW mount don't fit tomorrow I just got to find someone to do it.  I really want a rail to mount a Matchdot II or a Aimpoint 9000SC if I decide I like the gun.  We had a good smith but he retired.  I don't mind  sending the gun off I sure won't miss it. Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Wells 11/17/2017, 3:03 am

Very sorry to heat, Don. I limit myself to clean my guns, and sometimes I'm not too sure that I am even qualified for that.
After Jon re-furbished my Hoag long-slide, He would be my 1st and only choice. I would call or PM him and not wait for him to call or PM you.

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 11/17/2017, 3:12 am

Thanks Gary I try to do what I can  My biggest and best job was drilling and tapping the 10 holes in the dust cover of my Gold Cup NM for a frame mount.  I will never under take that project a gain but the quote of $45 a hole lead me to doing it.  Jon will be my first choise but lets see what tomorrow brings.  May have to buy a RO 9mm to convert after Christmas.  At least I will have a good gun when it is done.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Wells 11/17/2017, 3:21 am

Don:
Otherwise there is Greg Derr Precision, Business End Customs, Pistolwrench, & Nighthawk Custom is doing custom work on other guns & I hear good reports about them.Springfield Custom shop is closed.

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by Keithcrc 11/21/2017, 12:19 am

Freirking Gun Works in Nebraska could do that kind of work. Travis Freirking was at Perry a couple of times. He had some really nice guns there too. Likely the expense vs. profit has kept him from coming recently.
Keithcrc
Keithcrc

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 11/21/2017, 2:42 am

I went ahead and finished the butcher job.  The EGW mount came today and I had to smack it into the dovetail with a big hammer but got it done.  My RO should be here this week and I can just use this piece of junk shooting SD practice.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 11/22/2017, 1:28 am

Went to the range today to try the gun out with the mount and new Dardus 125gr RNFP with 3.8gr BE.  Should have looked the mount over better as it was pointing up so much that turning the elevation max up still but me way below the target at 7 yards.  Fired 5 rounds left the range and came home and got the hammer and removed the mount.  I got the $19 Amazon mount out and filed it's dovetail till it fit and pounded it in place.  The mounting plate for the Viper screws to the part that goes into the cut.  Wouldn't you know only one of those screws would go in. Suspect I should have left screws in the holes while pounding the piece into the cut.  Live and learn.  It is at least level with the slide so will shoot it tomorrow.  The RO 9mm shipped today.  it shipped to my FFL USPS so won't show up till Monday if it does.  A lot of USPS packages are showing up around here opened and the goods gone.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down