Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Firing pin stop question

+2
robert84010
wizzer
6 posters

Go down

Firing pin stop question Empty Firing pin stop question

Post by wizzer 12/14/2017, 9:02 am

Do any 1911 shooters modify the radius on their stops these days to change the recoil characteristics or is this a thing of the past?

wizzer

Back to top Go down

Firing pin stop question Empty Re: Firing pin stop question

Post by robert84010 12/14/2017, 9:28 am

I doubt many modify them since you can tune via recoil spring and mainspring. I think most builders use the standard radius block but some might use the short radius block for carry pistols using +P ammo. With hardball not requiring 230gr @ 825fps  there is little need for a short radius block on a bullseye pistol. Maybe the actual builders here will speak about what they use and why.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 12/14/2017, 10:04 am

It depends on the caliber, load and the individual.  I use a small radius firing pin stop all the time.  You just have to know what results you're looking for and if that firing pin stop can help achieve those results.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten 12/14/2017, 10:53 am

My wad gun that was put together by Dave Salyer has a heavily radiused, it also has a very light recoil spring.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin 12/16/2017, 6:10 am

I have a heavily radiused firing pin stop and relieved hammer, I also shoot very light loads, and irons only so lightweight slide. I use a 16lb spring for proper ejection with 185 jacketed @775 fps, the recoil is much more pronounced that it was with the squared stop but I only use that ammo for the long line @ military matches so no big deal. 99% of the ammunition I shoot is lead short line loads so I set the gun up to run that best.

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten 12/16/2017, 11:24 am

I should have also mentioned that my wad gun has a full length rib and a dot sight. I believe the rib is aluminum and the recoil spring is 7 or 8 pounds.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 12/16/2017, 12:03 pm

troystaten wrote:I should have also mentioned that my wad gun has a full length rib and a dot sight. I believe the rib is aluminum and the recoil spring is 7 or 8 pounds.

In my experience recoil spring weight that low with 50 yd loads has a tendency to open the groups way up. At 25 yds not as noticeable. 10# is typically the lightest spring weight I use on any pistols I build or repair. So if your groups are big I would bump the spring up to a 10#. 
I know many people out there believe based on video that bullet is out of the barrel before the pistol starts cycling......blah blah blah. All I know that from hand with good ammunition and a great pistol being shot by a HM that they 99% of the time shoot like crap when the recoil spring is too light. Firing pin stop is only one part of the equation as KC mentioned. Barrel fit is majority contributer to accuracy and felt recoil. Firing pin stop can be a bandaid or small part of the marriage.....
My 2 cents.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten 12/16/2017, 12:21 pm

Thanks Jon, as much as I would like to blame the gun and ammo for my 50 yard groups I think it's the clown holding the grips.  I really do appreciate all of your posts and knowledge, you are fortunate to be in SoCAL if you where up here in NorCal I would be a real pest.  Have a merry Christmas.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 12/16/2017, 12:24 pm

That's funny. I wasn't implying anything about your shooting Smile
Just keep working at it.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten 12/16/2017, 1:02 pm

Jon shooting the pistol is a funny thing, sometimes I think I am reasonably competent and the next time out to the range the dot on my wad gun is bouncing all over the place and the bullets are going everywhere.  I am definitely more consistent with my 22 but even with that there is probably a 10% variation on my scores.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzer 12/16/2017, 1:08 pm

"QUOTE"  Barrel fit is majority contributer to accuracy and felt recoil

I understand the accuracy part.  Would you please comment on the felt recoil portion?

wizzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 12/16/2017, 1:27 pm

Barrel fit can keep pistol in battery longer. The longer you can keep in battery the slower the slide velocity to the rear. It's just delaying/lessening the slide speed. 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down