A.A. Yur'yev Competitive Shooting on eBay

Go down

Re: A.A. Yur'yev Competitive Shooting on eBay

Post by willnewton on 12/21/2017, 8:28 am

That one is gone.  This one is the next lowest price.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Competitive-Shooting-by-National-Rifle-Association/142630415940?epid=2594471&hash=item21356f6e44:g:Ki0AAOSw5VtaOWvd
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G on 12/21/2017, 9:53 am

Amazon has them for a lower price, looks like.

https://www.amazon.com/Competitive-Shooting-Techniques-Training-Running/dp/0935998535/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513871541&sr=8-1&keywords=yur%27yev
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo on 12/21/2017, 12:14 pm

I think I paid $70 for mine when the only ones for sale were $400. Supply and demand. I do not regret it.
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick on 12/22/2017, 4:37 pm

Still a bargain at twice that price.

Merick

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton on 1/2/2018, 8:02 am

Well, I bought the copy the original poster linked to and it a pretty fascinating book.

A bit of the rifle chapters can be skimmed, but the rest is a pretty in depth look at the body mechanics and biology of shooting.

There is not a lot of “Be the bullet” type of writing.  It is more along the lines of “Here is what your brain chemistry is doing when you pull the trigger”,  “This is how your muscles in your arm are laid out.”,  “This how your brain communicates to your trigger finger”.  

It is bit dated in some aspects, but nothing has changed in the way the body works since it was published.  It does get a bit in depth on some the science, but it is not overly complicated.  The translation is very readable as well.

I have taken away some good info that I think will help me in the future and several times during my reading, I stopped to go grab my dummy pistol and make some observations and self-experiments.

On the forum, there is a lot of good advice given on HOW to do certain things, but not a lot of background on WHY.  The difference between being told “Don’t snatch 10s” vs. reading several pages of the science behind what happens in the brain when you snatch a shot vs. what happens when you slowly increase pressure is miles apart.

Even if the cost seems a bit steep, this book is CHEAP compared to the cost of the many gadgets and gizmos that BE shooters will accumulate.  Say what you like about buying points, but you will definitely add a few to your score after reading this book and putting it into practice.
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X on 1/2/2018, 9:41 am

That's why my copy has about 15 years worth of notes in the margins and little slips of paper here and there in the book!  Like some other books, its worth looking over again every year or so.

All said, agree its sometimes a bit dated and some of the translations could have been crafted a little better, but definitely a book to get and keep handy if you want to learn about precision shooting.

As with most good things, the price now is generally cheaper than it will be in the future.  And "now" is generally when I need things, otherwise, they would just be "wanted". 

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid on 1/2/2018, 9:37 pm

My wife bought it for me for Christmas last year, so I don't know what it cost. I thought it was worth the time to read it, and now it's loaned to one of my teammates.
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum