Balance and weight

Go down

Balance and weight

Post by 30harry on 1/2/2018, 10:47 am

Can someone with a lot of experience in bullseye/ISSF help me with some basic info on pistol balance and weight.  

All other aspects being equal, trigger, accuracy, etc. and discounting recoil impulse is a lighter gun better or a heavier gun or weight has no bearing?  Using Pardini SP as a for instance, would you be equally good with it if it weighed half as much?

Also, what is the optimum balance a shooter should seek?  Muzzle heavy, muzzle light, or perfectly balanced in your hand?  

Or does recoil impulse have a major part in determining the necessary balance point needed for optimum scoring?

Thanks all

30harry

Back to top Go down

Re: Balance and weight

Post by Jon Eulette on 1/2/2018, 11:01 am

'You' need to shoot lots of guns! It's different for everybody. Balance is individual preference. I don't like a muzzle heavy pistol, others do. I've shot nearly all 22 pistols made for BE/Int'l competition. I have my favorites but they will all get the job done. The trigger pull is my biggest hangup......it has to be exceptional. Most shooters will let you shoot their pistol....so ask. There's no magic pistol, fundamentals is more important than the pistol. Recoil does vary from gun to gun. So sometimes you do have to figure out a way to make it more user friendly. On my 208s I tried heavier barrel weights and didn't like the muzzle heaviness. Switched from Aimpoint Micro to Aimpoint 9000SC and now its perfect because weight is more over the hand. So you need to see what works for you.
Jon

Last edited by Jon Eulette on 1/2/2018, 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner on 1/2/2018, 2:13 pm

Jon is absolutely correct.  Over the last couple years I started collecting bullseye target pistols and have virtually all the current Olympic versions (Benelli, 208, 208s, Pardini, AW93, GSP, Matchgun, & Beretta 89,  as well as S&W 41, Volqurtson Scorpion, HS Victor and a Nelson 1911 Conversion). 

My ideas of "perfect" have changed considerably over this period. Initially, I thought lighter was better, although this changed as I developed more arm strength and stamina. Recoil was also more of an initial issue. My ideas of a perfect trigger have also changed with practice.

Also, for me, grips are very important, partially because I have a medium size hand. If you handle a gun with the wrong size grip you might well get a imperfect impression. 

Currently the trigger I like best is the Match Gun MG2, followed closely by the Pardini and 208s. I would probably rate the GSP every bit as good, but the gun is a bit nose heavy. 

Unfortunately, my experiences may not be all that helpful since you might well have different conclusions. If you get to San Diego I'd be happy to let you shoot mine.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H on 1/2/2018, 3:21 pm

I will agree with the word "individual", but not "preference".
First comes the individual's condition, meaning strength and physical makeup.
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by 285wannab on 1/2/2018, 3:28 pm

It really is a matter of shooters choice.  And you have a lot of choices out there.  Go to the matches and ask to try different guns.
I was having back issues and made up a 22/45 with a Volq. barrel.  That thing was light.  Maybe to light. I think it is best to being holding some weight to put tension on your muscles.  Or else it will be just floating around.
I also like my gun to sit in my hand.  But you might shoot better scores with a nose heavy gun.
Try as many as you can.

285wannab

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum