Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need recommendations on Iris/diopter shooting glasses??

+5
hp246
Sa-tevp
willnewton
Chris Miceli
gqllc007
9 posters

Go down

Need recommendations  on Iris/diopter shooting glasses??  Empty Need recommendations on Iris/diopter shooting glasses??

Post by gqllc007 Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:27 am

This is for iron sights but I can no longer see as well as I would like. The tried low power readers and that wasn't helpful as I couldn't see the target lol
This is for range use so they don't have to be too expensive but I tried the Lyman eyeball stickum and other than it not staying put it was ok.
What do you all recommend? I was hoping for a variable Iris for my right eye

Last edited by gqllc007 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

gqllc007

Back to top Go down

Need recommendations  on Iris/diopter shooting glasses??  Empty Re: Need recommendations on Iris/diopter shooting glasses??

Post by Chris Miceli Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:40 am

http://www.bullseyegear.com/bullseyepistol/product.php?productid=69&cat=0&page=1

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Need recommendations  on Iris/diopter shooting glasses??  Empty Re: Need recommendations on Iris/diopter shooting glasses??

Post by willnewton Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:10 am

When shooting irons, the target is not supposed to be in focus at all, only the sights, with the sharpest view focused at the front sight.

Look over the tops of the readers if you want to see the target in focus.  Just not while aiming!

If you are on the verge of needing glasses, a +0.75 or +1.00 diopter set of readers may be all you need to sharpen up the sights.

Diopter refers to magnification.  You may mean a variable iris, which changes the depth of field, not magnification.  An iris will increase your depth of field, bringing more items into focus and even correcting some eye defects, such as slight astigmatism.

You can certainly use an iris on your readers too!

Chris’s link shows one style of variable iris.  Here is another.  http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=390

Wasn’t there just a thread about this?
Found it. Not directly related, but similar. https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t8870-pistol-scopes
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gqllc007 Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:21 am

You are correct a variable IRIS I am looking for!

gqllc007

Back to top Go down

Post by gqllc007 Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:27 am

I have the eyepal and the Merit. Both are ok at best. The Merit kept falling off the lens even after I cleaned the lens of my shooting glasses

gqllc007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:53 am

I bought Elvex full magnifying safety glasses while testing several lenses in my shooting frames and before committing to custom made prescription safety glasses to compensate for astigmatism. The Elvex glasses are inexpensive enough to try different strengths (I tried +0.50, +0.75 and +1.00). I use a small square of Scotch tape as a occluder for the left eye. The Elvex lenses are pretty good and have little noticeable distortion.

Full Magnifier Lens RX-500C-0.75 Diopter in Clear Lens

I have Champion shooting frames for air pistol and free pistol but like the protection of safety glasses for other cartridge pistol as I am a lead magnet.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by hp246 Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:17 pm

I have an adjustable iris that I bought from Champions Choice.  It mounts to the hinge screw on your shooting glasses.  I like it a lot.  I found the same problems you had with the aging eyes.  Tried the reading glasses, the stick on lenses and even some custom lenses.  ust found that with changing light conditions at different ranges I still had problems, but the adjustable iris fixed most of them.  Tried to find a link for you, but couldn't find it.

hp246

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:35 pm

I use the Merit Optical Attachment that Chris posted a link to. I use it with iron sights. I do not use it with a dot sight. I feel it helps keep me focused on the front sight more because I have a tendency to look at the front sight, follow it up and to the target and I end up switching my focus point from the front sight to the target and my focus needs to be on the front sight. So I like it because of that. Helps keep me focus on the front sight. And it also helps sharpen up the image of the front sight and I can judge a little better as to how much white or light there is on either side of the front sight. 

I used it exclusively with muzzleloading pistols for four and a half years. Love it.

The Merit Optical Attachment is just one option. willnewton posted a link to a nice option as well. Those are the only two models worth your time and money that I am aware of. 

The Merit (for me) works well if the suction cup is damp or wet. For me it's a "lick-N-Stick". And I found I have to press hard to get the thing to stay on. If I do those two things, it usually stay put. Just don't go flinging your glasses around or set em down too hard.
Tim:H11
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:29 am

I just wanted to say that I ordered a Gehmann iris from champcoice.com and have been using it. As a reminder, I have the Eyepal and the Merit as well.

The Gehmann is now definitely my favorite. Very repeatable placement. The flip up feature is great. The iris works smoothly and the whole thing is nicely made. Even if you take it completely off the glasses and put it back on, it is a piece of cake to get in the right place.

I finally convinced a shooting buddy to try this iris as he sees 3-5 dots at times, but has never wanted to try the other iris styles I have as he was wary of sticking anything to his prescription lens. Within 30 seconds of putting it on, he was ready to order one.

So far, so good.

willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:55 am

I also have the Merit, Gehmann and Eyepal.  I was using the Gehmann until I switched glasses to Rudy Project Rydons with prescription lenses then I went back to the Eyepal and I am very happy.  I've had the Eyepal on and off of the prescription lens for cleaning for the last 2 years and no issues.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Math Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:40 am

When I was young and had eyes like a hawk I found I was focusing on the front then the target then maybe the rear rapidly and constantly while trying to aim, which is not the way to shoot irons.  Having old eyes I have found the right glass correction to bring the front sight into crystal clarity and my iron shooting is easier than ever, the only good thing I’ve found yet about growing old Very Happy  Now if I was only as steady as I was when I was 18 years old, shooting life would be perfect.
Jon Math
Jon Math

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:42 am

Jon, you are describing the exact issue I have been having the last year shooting irons. I am currently trying adds to find the correct magnification to keep my eyes from darting from target to rear sight. I have never tried a diopter though, sounds like i need to try one as well.

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Math Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:22 am

I live in MA, if I ever brought my pistol into an eye doctor he’d have a heart attack and I’d on the 5:00 news.  So what I did was have my wife measure from my eye to the front sight while I was in my stance and then we went to the dollar store had her hold a piece of paper at the same distance and tried on the magnifiers till I found the one that gave me a sharp focus at the correct distance. 

Then I ordered the correct lens for my Champion shooting glasses’ lens holder.  I don’t have other eye issues just need straight correction, if I had astigmatism etc I’d really be in trouble.

The target is a blur, the rear sight is too.

Interestingly when I shoot a reddot, I do not need any correction, and just use a blinder for my non-aiming eye.  My distance vision is still stunning, I can see the numbers on the paper at 50 yards still, so with a dot I really have to “over focus” on it, or I’ll end up looking at but not focusing on either the target or the dot.
Jon Math
Jon Math

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down