Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phoenix Mid-Winter 2700

+7
Chris Miceli
n9911c
Al
cdrt
Allen Barnett
Jon Eulette
sbtzc
11 posters

Go down

Phoenix Mid-Winter 2700 Empty Phoenix Mid-Winter 2700

Post by sbtzc 1/14/2018, 7:13 pm

Just signed up for the 2700 in Phoenix, Feb 16-18. Is there anything special I need to bring or be prepared for?

My Usual List:
All my pistol box stuff plus,...
Clipboard
Masking tape
Stapler and staples
Water and snacks

Other things?
Sawed off 12 gauage for the rattlesnakes and gila monsters?  Shocked
Bullshit detector?  Rolling Eyes
Pepto for the spicy food and cerveza  drunken

Just wonderin'
sbtzc
sbtzc

Back to top Go down

Phoenix Mid-Winter 2700 Empty Re: Phoenix Mid-Winter 2700

Post by Jon Eulette 1/14/2018, 7:23 pm

I see your unclassified. Try shooting local matches to get a classification. Then at match you have a chance to win a pistol in your class. If you show up unclassified you get thrown in with the Masters! Hate to see ya get thrashed ;l)
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by sbtzc 1/14/2018, 7:37 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:I see your unclassified. Try shooting local matches to get a classification. Then at match you have a chance to win a pistol in your class. If you show up unclassified you get thrown in with the Masters! Hate to see ya get thrashed ;l)
Jon

Oh I'll get thrashed alrighty. No doubt about that.

Actually, I'm going to claim marksman status based on a 'temporary' classification (I shot .22 and CF in last year's Timbuktu State Outdoor). I have no illusions of winning a pistol and so I didn't even sign up for the service pistol 900.

Last edited by sbtzc on 1/26/2019, 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
sbtzc
sbtzc

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett 1/14/2018, 7:57 pm

You will probably need to have a temporary score book with score recorded by the match director or a copy of the match results showing your score(s).  You "can't just claim" you will have to "prove" classification status.  Not trying to be a smarty pants about it but here is the reason why I know.  Several years ago I had reached Sharpshooter status and then family, job, and other things got in the way of shooting.  I finally was able to get back into shooting and showed up with my "old" classification card.  Based on the rules I had to re-classify and therefore had to shoot in the Master class until classification was re-established.  This was at my local range, it was the same match director and personal friend.  Rules are rules and some Bullseye shooters go overboard with them. That is why I am still just a Marksmanship classification.  And if I don't get back to shooting this year I will have to re-classify again!  lol

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by sbtzc 1/14/2018, 8:21 pm

Allen Barnett wrote:You will probably need to have a temporary score book with score recorded by the match director or a copy of the match results showing your score(s).  You "can't just claim" you will have to "prove" classification status.  Not trying to be a smarty pants about it but here is the reason why I know.  Several years ago I had reached Sharpshooter status and then family, job, and other things got in the way of shooting.  I finally was able to get back into shooting and showed up with my "old" classification card.  Based on the rules I had to re-classify and therefore had to shoot in the Master class until classification was re-established.  This was at my local range, it was the same match director and personal friend.  Rules are rules and some Bullseye shooters go overboard with them. That is why I am still just a Marksmanship classification.  And if I don't get back to shooting this year I will have to re-classify again!  lol

Good point! Would a print-out of the NRA competitor look-up suffice?
sbtzc
sbtzc

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett 1/14/2018, 9:30 pm

I would think so.  The big sticky point will be if someone "protests" your classification and your proof is not in accordance with the rules and/or the match directors opinion.  Nobody will care probably unless you are in the running for prize money then it is all bets off.  Some people get real snotty over small things like "prize money" and/or awards if you know what I mean!!!

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett 1/14/2018, 9:41 pm

Check out rule # 19.14 in the NRA rule book it explains that for temporary classification your scores fired must be entered into a Temporary Score Book by the competior until a classification card is issued from NRA.  To establish a permanant classification and get a card you must fire a mininum of 360 shots in a NRA registered or approved matches.  Leg matches do not count as they are part of the Civilian Markmanship Program (CMP).

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt 1/14/2018, 9:43 pm

sbtzc wrote:
Allen Barnett wrote:You will probably need to have a temporary score book with score recorded by the match director or a copy of the match results showing your score(s).  You "can't just claim" you will have to "prove" classification status.  Not trying to be a smarty pants about it but here is the reason why I know.  Several years ago I had reached Sharpshooter status and then family, job, and other things got in the way of shooting.  I finally was able to get back into shooting and showed up with my "old" classification card.  Based on the rules I had to re-classify and therefore had to shoot in the Master class until classification was re-established.  This was at my local range, it was the same match director and personal friend.  Rules are rules and some Bullseye shooters go overboard with them. That is why I am still just a Marksmanship classification.  And if I don't get back to shooting this year I will have to re-classify again!  lol

Good point! Would a print-out of the NRA competitor look-up suffice?
The NRA look-up will show you as unclassified until you shoot 360 shots. You need that temp score book.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt 1/15/2018, 12:50 am

sbtzc, sent you a pm.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by Al 1/15/2018, 1:08 pm

This is also my first trip down there. My bride asked me a month or so ago if there were any matches someplace warm during the winter (it's 35 below zero, wind chill this morning) and as luck would have it, I had a solution cheers.

The Midwinter sounds a lot like Perry for the individual matches & the EIC matches, Stnd pistol I've shot enough to know. But I'm in the dark for the round count I need to include for the team matches. I'm flying down but a few ND shooters are driving, so they're transporting guns & ammo for me. Any help here guys on what I need to send with?  I'd rather have too much than run short.
Al

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by n9911c 1/16/2018, 12:01 am

Al,
You need 30 rounds each for the 22, CF and 45 matches plus extra for any alibis for the team matches.
Tony
n9911c
n9911c

Back to top Go down

Post by Al 1/16/2018, 12:45 am

n9911c wrote:Al,
You need 30 rounds each for the 22, CF and 45 matches plus extra for any alibis for the team matches.
Tony
Thanks Tony.
Kind of planned on an individual NMC for each team member (like Perry) per match. But wasn't sure.
Al

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by sbtzc 2/3/2018, 10:09 pm

Since the only replies were those worried I'd come in last with the Master class verses last with the Marksmen, I repose my origial question,...

Are there any special considerations or things I need to bring?
sbtzc
sbtzc

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 2/3/2018, 10:32 pm

sbtzc wrote:Since the only replies were those worried I'd come in last with the Master class verses last with the Marksmen, I repose my origial question,...

Are there any special considerations or things I need to bring?
I see you have shot a match before. I'm guessing you have the normal amount of items you would bring to a local 2700 ? Often things like meals,snacks, and water are overlooked. Possibly some cash encase someone has something you have to buy?

Last edited by Chris Miceli on 2/3/2018, 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 2/3/2018, 11:48 pm

I make a point to treat every match the same. If I need something for a regionals why shouldn't I need it for a local match or the same in reverse? Of course EIC guns and ammo would be an exception to that but I always leave my EIC guns in my kit. So for me every match is the same. Subtle differences like if it's shot all in one day or spread out over two or three days but I don't think it matters how long the match is; you'll still need what you normally take to a match. Only difference might be ammunition quantity depending on if its a lengthy match or short one.
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Post by sbtzc 2/3/2018, 11:51 pm

Chris Miceli wrote:I see you have shot a match before. I'm guessing you have the normal amount of items you would bring to a local 2700 ?
 Yes, I  have the usual stuff - scope, brass catcher, tools, cleaning equipment and supplies, etc.

I'm wondering if I need red dot filters for brightness or sunglasses? Things that one that does not shoot in AZ might need.
sbtzc
sbtzc

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 2/4/2018, 12:18 am

sbtzc wrote:
 I'm wondering if I need red dot filters for brightness or sunglasses? Things that one that does not shoot in AZ might need.
 Rained last year. lol!

Just saying ......

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 2/4/2018, 12:41 am

Watch the wether. If there’s a chance at all bring rain gear. I don’t like polarizers. I use sunglasses to the same effect plus I get the added benefit of the effect expanded to everything I see. Not just through the dot sight. I have clear glasses, and sunglasses depending on lighting conditions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackbird 2/4/2018, 1:20 am

I live in the area.

Phoenix gets two monsoons annually: January and February is the first, July and August is the second half. It has been very dry this year, so I wouldn't worry about rain much and if it does rain, it tends to be enough to ruin a freshly washed car.

This week is supposed to range between 80 to 85 degrees (F) and it can get get warmer in February. Bring sunscreen and a quart/liter bottle of water - carry both where ever you go and drink continuously. Dehydration is a serious issue here and visitors not familiar with the climate eat too much, drink too much alcohol and no enough water, and then go hiking, biking, four wheeling, or other outdoor activities [including being at matches], only to find that they collapse from dehydration or suffer heat exhaustion/stroke. 

It's better to run to the can between strings of fire than it is to have blurry vision and the uncontrollable tremors from not enough hydration.

The Sun here will give you a sunburn in the dead of winter, so don't forget to use a strong SPF sunblock. Sunglasses are very helpful.

Blackbird

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 2/4/2018, 2:16 am

n9911c wrote:Al,
Tony

Bro, you need to update your location - it is accurate as of your join date but that was a long time ago.

Speaking of things you need to do, you and Brenda need to come shoot Memorial Day at Sunnyvale.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by sbtzc 2/4/2018, 2:46 pm

Thanks guys. And I did acquire a NRA score book.
sbtzc
sbtzc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down