Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PDU for Dillon press

+3
Chris Miceli
30harry
patnemes
7 posters

Go down

PDU for Dillon press Empty PDU for Dillon press

Post by patnemes 2/12/2018, 9:15 am

There has been previous discussion in this forum about adapting the Lyman M type expander die on Dillon presses. I have found a site on E-Bay where a PDU is being made and sold for use in the Dillon presses. The seller is  "PhotoScape" and I found the site by looking up "Dillon powder funnels" I just received one of these in 45ACP and I have to say it is well made and functions perfectly. It replaces the Dillon funnel in the powder drop station. Installation only took a few minutes. When seating the 45 200 Gr SWC in the case mouth the bullets now set in the case mouth squarely and don't require me to hold it square as the seating die comes down. I have previously used the Lyman "M" die on my single stage presses and I have been looking for a way to expand the case mouth the same way on my Dillon 550. I now have the 9MM size on order for my other Dillon 550.

I want to say I am in no way associated with the seller but I can say I am a very happy customer.

patnemes

Back to top Go down

PDU for Dillon press Empty Re: PDU for Dillon press

Post by 30harry 2/12/2018, 10:54 am

It's "photoescape". Interesting product but I need it in .32 wadcutter.

30harry

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 2/12/2018, 10:56 am

30harry wrote:It's "photoescape". Interesting product but I need it in .32 wadcutter.
try dave wilson for a custom expander.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 5/15/2018, 5:57 pm

Thank you, Pat.  It is actually PTU for powder transfer unit.  I don't know for how long I'll be able to sell my parts on eBay.  In recent weeks eBay made several unfriendly moves toward anything firearms related.  I.e. all reviews for my products, except powder ajusters, got removed.  However my funnels can be purchased from Mr. Bulletfeeder, UniqueTek and several other dealers.  Just don't confuse my funnels with those sold nowadays by Double Alpha Academy, owner of Bulletfeeder product line.  DAA funnels aren't polished and made out of stainless steel, and work brass quite hard!  AP

P.S.  I concur with Pat - there is no affiliation between us other than both being reloaders.  Pat bought several of my funnels, and, if I remember correctly, wrote review on eBay, which is now "nuked".  AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 5/15/2018, 6:46 pm

They do seem to be finished very good
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 5/15/2018, 7:30 pm

Devil is in details.  In the 2016 I supplied about 2000 funnels in three calibers to Double Alpha.  I don't know for how long my funnels were included with Bulletfeeders and/or sold as a stand alone through Midway and other outlets.  However at some point Double Alpha returned to using funnels made of stainless steel.  Current DAA funnels have machining marks, that can be felt by running ones nail over.  Mine are polished throughout, and can be identified by caliber rings - no ring on 9/38, one ring on 10/40, two rings on 45, etc.
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 5/15/2018, 8:02 pm

Lol. Running to check the one I ordered from them a few months ago
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 5/15/2018, 8:16 pm

Darn. No such luck
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 5/15/2018, 8:41 pm

As long as you happy, it all what counts.  Double Alpha makes great products, i.e. I applaud to change from aluminum to steel in bullet dropper die. I recently received one of the first ones for .308, and now want to replace all of mine.  When it comes to funnels, mine are just better due to precision machining and post processing.  AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

PDU for Dillon press Empty .32ACP powder funnel (for Dillon press)

Post by carykiteboarder 5/15/2018, 8:43 pm

PhotoEscape wrote:Devil is in details.  In the 2016 I supplied about 2000 funnels in three calibers to Double Alpha.  I don't know for how long my funnels were included with Bulletfeeders and/or sold as a stand alone through Midway and other outlets.  However at some point Double Alpha returned to using funnels made of stainless steel.  Current DAA funnels have machining marks, that can be felt by running ones nail over.  Mine are polished throughout, and can be identified by caliber rings - no ring on 9/38, one ring on 10/40, two rings on 45, etc.

I would very much like to get a powder funnel for .32ACP.  I'm using a Lyman "M-style" expander die but that requires contortions on my Dillon 650. If that is at all feasible, please let me know. The ammo is for a Pardini so I'm loading 60gr Hornady XTP JHP which are .311" but the Lyman expander dimensions work great.
Glen
carykiteboarder
carykiteboarder

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 5/15/2018, 9:41 pm

Glen, I don't load .32ACP, and have no cartridges to experiment with.  However I do load 7.62x39 with Sierra .311 125 and 150 grain Spitzers.  For those and other 30 caliber rifle cartridges I designed funnel with multiple sizes of expanders, - .3085, .3105 & .3125.  Please see my eBay listing for 30 Cal funnel (as a new member, I'm not allowed to provide link for few days or weeks).  If you are crimping your reloads, I'd try .3125.  Also, outer part of this PTU can be removed, - its sole purpose is to center rifle cartridge, so it doesn't catches bottom of the expander on the neck.  Anything from 30 Carbine and shorter doesn't get off of the vertical axial too much. Because of the length of the cartridge, I will need to use at least two or maybe even all three spacer, that come with it.  You also might need to play with how deep you want to expand case.  Case doesn't have to go all the way to the flat bottom of the expander in order to activate powder measure.  Lastly, - if it doesn't work, feel free to return for full refund.  Hope this helps,  AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 5/16/2018, 10:54 am

30harry wrote:It's "photoescape". Interesting product but I need it in .32 wadcutter.

3D, I purchased Lee sizing dies for stage one in my Dillon 550 for reloading .314 size bullets in 32 wadcutter (and ACP).  They had them in stock in +2 and +3 size. I vary which one depending on the brass and bullets involved. I don't remember the cost, but they were in stock and quite reasonable.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 5/16/2018, 11:03 am

carykiteboarder wrote:
PhotoEscape wrote:Devil is in details.  In the 2016 I supplied about 2000 funnels in three calibers to Double Alpha.  I don't know for how long my funnels were included with Bulletfeeders and/or sold as a stand alone through Midway and other outlets.  However at some point Double Alpha returned to using funnels made of stainless steel.  Current DAA funnels have machining marks, that can be felt by running ones nail over.  Mine are polished throughout, and can be identified by caliber rings - no ring on 9/38, one ring on 10/40, two rings on 45, etc.

I would very much like to get a powder funnel for .32ACP.  I'm using a Lyman "M-style" expander die but that requires contortions on my Dillon 650. If that is at all feasible, please let me know. The ammo is for a Pardini so I'm loading 60gr Hornady XTP JHP which are .311" but the Lyman expander dimensions work great.
Glen

I just recently started loading 32ACP on my Dillon 550, ,313 T&B bullets, Starline brass.  I am using the Lee +3 expander and the Dillon 32Long powder funnel in stage 2 (that was what I had, so decided to try it).  So far (400 rounds) they have all fed perfectly and accurately at 25 y. The +3 expander seems to work well with the new Starline brass which is all I have loaded so far. I am not familiar with the 650, but everything works very smoothly in my 550.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 5/31/2018, 1:38 pm

PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down