S&W Model 17 rear sight problem

Go down

S&W Model 17 rear sight problem

Post by John McCormick on 3/4/2018, 4:14 pm

I posted this question at the Smith and Wesson Forum and thought I would ask it here as well. I recently picked up a 70s-era Model 17 that I find shoots about 8" above point of aim at 25 yds with the rear sight down as far as the adjustment screw will allow. I notice that with the screw bottomed out there is about .025" of space (by feeler gauge) between the frame and the bottom of the rear sight. It's been a while since I've had an adjustable-sight S&W revolver. Shouldn't I be able to lower the rear sight more than that? S&W tells me they're sending along a shipping tag for it, but maybe there's a quicker fix that I can do.

John McCormick

Back to top Go down

Re: S&W Model 17 rear sight problem

Post by Sa-tevp on 3/4/2018, 6:36 pm

Grind 0.025" off the elevation nut:

You will probably find the best you can get is a 6 o'clock sight picture with a S&W with a stock front sight.
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 on 3/4/2018, 7:01 pm

Greetings,

Is it possible the previous owner removed metal from the front sight?

You would need to locate a fellow shooter with a K-22 to compare sights.

Actually, having S&W fix it is not a bad idea.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV on 3/4/2018, 7:33 pm

That would be the upper elevation nut. The bottom one is really a bolt. Front sight blade measures .311 the rear sight body including the leaf measures .405. Mine will bottom all the way to contact and 11 clicks up is a fifty yard zero with a center hold. Picture of rear sight looks like I missed the spot but calipers were locked and just held there to show where I measured.

LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by John McCormick on 3/4/2018, 7:59 pm

Doesn't look like anyone cut the front sight down. The gun was essentially as-new when I got it. Nice smooth action, .004 B/C gap, tight chambers. Thanks for the photos, the last of which is perfect evidence of what is wrong with mine. S&W says they'll take care of it.

John McCormick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum