Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preferred velocity range for 185 JHP long line loads?

+14
willnewton
LenV
Slartybartfast
Chris Miceli
Jack H
JayhawkNavy02
Boris_La
ruger15151
spursnguns
Wobbley
Al
rreid
james r chapman
Taroman
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Preferred velocity range for 185 JHP long line loads? - Page 2 Empty Preferred velocity range for 185 JHP long line loads?

Post by Taroman Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:55 pm

First topic message reminder :

My club usually (always always) runs its pistol matches at 25 yards.
Now they're having an EIC-type match.
Reading that many prefer the Zero/Nosler 185s for long line, so I stocked up on them.
See many references here to powder charges here, but seldom related to velocity.
As we all know, a given load will produce different velocities in different guns.
Just chronographed my first test loads with 4.5 grains of Bullseye.
In my CZ97b, it gave me 747 FPS with a SD of 11.3.
Is this in the preferred range?
I am somewhat time and resource constrained as I have only a few hundred JHPs and it's an hour each way to the club for testing.
So, having a ballpark velocity may save a lot of wasted time and bullets.

thanks.

Last edited by Taroman on Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : TYPO)
Taroman
Taroman

Back to top Go down

Preferred velocity range for 185 JHP long line loads? - Page 2 Empty Re: Preferred velocity range for 185 JHP long line loads?

Post by john bickar Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:41 pm

PMcfall wrote:I have no clue what my velocities are even though I do own a chronograph.  I innocently load up test loads, go to the range and Ransom Rest them.  I then shoot the loads that my pistol shoots into small knots.
Phil

I do this.

To be completely honest, I often fully skip the second sentence.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Preferred velocity range for 185 JHP long line loads? - Page 2 Empty Re: Preferred velocity range for 185 JHP long line loads?

Post by james r chapman Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:30 am

messenger wrote:
Boris_La wrote:In my CZ97B Zero 185gr JHP loaded with 4.6gr BE shot with 730-760fps velocity. Most accurate combo with this powder. I mostly load Titegroup 4.5gr for matches. A bit more consistent and cleaner. No chrono data, but i suspect a similar velocity range or touch higher. COAL 1.210"

I just crono'ed some Zero JHP's with 4.5gr Tight Group. My COL is 1.225. They averaged 744fps.

Bill

Thanks Bill
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by teg2658 Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:43 pm

Let a Ransom Rest be your guide, no two barrels are the same. Doesn't matter how fast the bullet is going in this game, just the size of the group at 50 yards.
Try 5.0 WST, Winchester large pistol primer, 1.24 OAL.
Tom Ginovsky

teg2658

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2