Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to rack the 1911

5 posters

Go down

How to rack the 1911 Empty How to rack the 1911

Post by Amati 3/30/2018, 7:58 am

There is a good thread on Dry Firing but I don't want to step on it.

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t8673-dry-firing-a-1911#80488

My old weak hands can no longer rack a very tight 1911, let alone my really tight Kart .22lr. 

The scoped .45 will rack by gripping the Matchdot, OK there.

On the iron sights .45 I've placed grip tape on portions of the slide of one or I use this Rack-it device on the others: https://www.lymanproducts.com/accessories/pachmayr-rack-it-tm.html

What to do on a really tight .22lr conversion? 
Marvel told me that they prefer theirs not to be too tight and indeed I haven't had a problem there. 
My Kart however is "very, very tight" and no grip tape helps here. A slide racker is unavoidable on this one it seems.

The questions I have are 
1.which slide racker to install and 
2. is it allowed to be a device that can be removed from the gun before firing or must the gun remain in the configuration it is at the shelf before being lifted and aimed?

I hate to be putting holes in a work of art but it's either that or not shooting it.

Thanks.

Amati

Back to top Go down

How to rack the 1911 Empty Re: How to rack the 1911

Post by Gary Wells 3/30/2018, 8:50 am

I'm sure that this racking method is "old hat" but it might work for you.
(empty gun)
manually move hammer back to cocked position
manually push the front of the slide back with the non gun hand.
Now see if the slide will go back easier. This method works great on my recently rebuilt & re-barreled Hoag longslide just finished by Jon Eulette.

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by Amati 3/30/2018, 9:38 am

Thanks and yes it works under normal conditions and with standard .45 slides. 

It doesn't work when there is not enough room between the hammer and the rear sight to insert the thumb. I've got two of those. BTW the Cammer  Hammer helps a lot unless you have a really good roll trigger and don't want to lose it.

It also doesn't work on a .22lr conversion where the slide is sandwiched  between the upper and the lower.

Amati

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 3/30/2018, 10:14 am

Searched "Using bench to cock pistol" and found the 'Cock Block'.

In a leap of faith, I followed the link:
https://www.range365.com/cock-bloc-handgun-slide-assist-review#page-6

Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 3/30/2018, 10:39 am

The kart has front and rear serrations. Grasp either of them and use the other hand and press forward and simultaneously rack back the slide. Go from the underside of dust cover for the front serrations.

For the slide mount 45 just place your palm to the front side of scope and rack back in similar action.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 3/31/2018, 7:52 am

Chris Miceli wrote:The kart has front and rear serrations. Grasp either of them and use the other hand and press forward and simultaneously rack back the slide. Go from the underside of dust cover for the front serrations.

For the slide mount 45 just place your palm to the front side of scope and rack back in similar action.
This is the right idea. To get more force in slide racking, use the shooting hand to push the frame, while holding the slide stationary. You can also bump the frame with the shooting hand. You'll probably need to have an empty magazine installed if you want the slide to be locked back.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down