14-5 on gunbroker

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

14-5 on gunbroker

Post by Chris Miceli on 4/4/2018, 12:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/761945352

if anyone wants to overpay for one here is your chance.  

No financial interested
Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Re: 14-5 on gunbroker

Post by willnewton on 4/5/2018, 8:30 pm

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/761932119

Steve also has this 1911 up for sale and the bid is at $650.
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV on 4/5/2018, 8:39 pm

I have been eyeballing it. Looks like a nice pistol.
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B on 4/5/2018, 9:52 pm

It's a decent little shooter, loves my light indoor target load at 50'.  It's not a custom build though...
I really need to thank Chris for promoting this.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV on 4/5/2018, 11:33 pm

Is the .45 Scandium or Stainless?
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton on 4/6/2018, 6:41 am

This thread got me interested in looking at revolvers.  I spent a fair bit of time perusing every 38 S&W with a 6” barrel on Gunbroker last night.  Your pistol is definitely not the highest priced 38 on GB.  Anyone else see the four gun set at $8000? Wow!

I think you are seeing that folks would love to buy your pistol in the $800 range and that you would love to sell it for $1200.  Maybe the sale price is lurking in between those numbers.  Perhaps leave the buy it now price at $1200 for the guy that HAS to get it, but lower your entry bid so more folks can take a shot at acquiring it.

I will be the first to admit I have paid higher than average market rates on items because they were exactly what I was looking for or the condition or provenance merits it.  I “overpaid” for my S&W 625, but I also spent a year trying to find the exact model and condition of the one that appeared before me in the gun shop.  I have zero regrets on my purchase.

I did consider the comment about not starting this type of commentary on a person’s sale thread as it is generally frowned upon and I mostly agree, but Steve seems to have a good sense of humor about all this and as long as he doesn’t mind and it continues to increase interest in his sale, why not?  I know Chris Miceli and I am sure he started this thread as a friendly trolling in the manner of a courtroom jester, knowing that it would generate interest in the sale, not because he is mean spirited.

Steve, if you have a problem with this thread or any post in it (even mine), let me know via PM and I will take care of it, no problem.
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on 4/6/2018, 8:14 am

willnewton wrote:This thread got me interested in looking at revolvers....
This thread got me interested in getting out my old Model 28 6" Highway Patrolman, that I worked with for three or four years, and start taking it to the range with me.  Shooting revolvers sure is different than all my bullseye toys.  The first guns I ever got were a Dirty Harry, and then the 10 5/8" version, but I never found a group doing silhouette shooting.  Maybe next week I'll dust the cobwebs off, and take it along with me to the range.
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B on 4/6/2018, 9:01 am

LenV wrote:Is the .45 Scandium or Stainless?
It's stainless.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B on 4/6/2018, 9:04 am

willnewton wrote:This thread got me interested in looking at revolvers.  I spent a fair bit of time perusing every 38 S&W with a 6” barrel on Gunbroker last night.  Your pistol is definitely not the highest priced 38 on GB.  Anyone else see the four gun set at $8000? Wow!

I think you are seeing that folks would love to buy your pistol in the $800 range and that you would love to sell it for $1200.  Maybe the sale price is lurking in between those numbers.  Perhaps leave the buy it now price at $1200 for the guy that HAS to get it, but lower your entry bid so more folks can take a shot at acquiring it.

I will be the first to admit I have paid higher than average market rates on items because they were exactly what I was looking for or the condition or provenance merits it.  I “overpaid” for my S&W 625, but I also spent a year trying to find the exact model and condition of the one that appeared before me in the gun shop.  I have zero regrets on my purchase.

I did consider the comment about not starting this type of commentary on a person’s sale thread as it is generally frowned upon and I mostly agree, but Steve seems to have a good sense of humor about all this and as long as he doesn’t mind and it continues to increase interest in his sale, why not?  I know Chris Miceli and I am sure he started this thread as a friendly trolling in the manner of a courtroom jester, knowing that it would generate interest in the sale, not because he is mean spirited.

Steve, if you have a problem with this thread or any post in it (even mine), let me know via PM and I will take care of it, no problem.

I've got 22 people watching this gun.  If it doesn't sell this cycle I may lower the price and let it run again, we'll see...
I've no issue with how this thread is turning out now, thank you for asking.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B on 4/6/2018, 9:08 am

mikemyers wrote:
willnewton wrote:This thread got me interested in looking at revolvers....
This thread got me interested in getting out my old Model 28 6" Highway Patrolman, that I worked with for three or four years, and start taking it to the range with me.  Shooting revolvers sure is different than all my bullseye toys.  The first guns I ever got were a Dirty Harry, and then the 10 5/8" version, but I never found a group doing silhouette shooting.  Maybe next week I'll dust the cobwebs off, and take it along with me to the range.

I stopped shooting revolvers after becoming distinguished 4-5 years ago.  But, the itch is back, LOL.  I've got a nearly perfect 14-6 that I'd like to start competing in DR with for fun and a PPC gun that I want to convert for Harry Reeves match, I'd like to go to Perry and try winning those matches.  Revolvers are really challenging in TF and RF but a lot of fun...

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by SonOfAGun on 4/6/2018, 10:46 am

I get it. Sometimes a price is not based on market value, but the amount of money the item is worth to the seller. "How much money would I need to NOT own this item?" Below that number, the seller would just rather have the item. I've been on both side of those negotiations, and you can't argue with the honesty of the position. Only the seller knows what they went through to acquire it in the first place, and what kind of gap may be left in their collection after selling it. I'll watch the GB listing.
SonOfAGun

Back to top Go down

Post by aaronb on 4/8/2018, 4:37 am

Well so far at least one person feels it worth it,  Not to say its junk, but the  old saying is   "One mans junk is another mans treasure"

aaronb

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton on 4/8/2018, 7:00 am

Mmmmm, yep there is a bid on it!

All our opinions on pricing aside, why would you bid $1200 minimum and not just push the button to Buy it Now for the $1200 asking price?

Did the buyer just shoot himself in the foot?  Will there be more bids?  Tune in for the adventure!  Smile

I have spent even more time looking up this revolver.  My reading suggests that SW only made maybe 2000 of these full lug models in the 1990’s.  This is also the last model with no MIM parts before they started adding a few late in the 14-6 production.  I still have not found a single other full lug in this model currently for sale.

Congrats on the bid Steve, I am a bit jealous that someone will getting this nice pistol, but money talks and BS walks!
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman on 4/8/2018, 7:33 am

2000 LEO'S bought these at wholesale for PPC distinguished competition....

Probably.
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper on 4/8/2018, 8:28 am

I just sold one of my 686 Smiths and bought a beautiful 6" 14-4 Smith yesterday for $607. It's what I've been looking for a while, as I would like to try DR also. My hand and thumb have a tough time thumbing the hammer on a 686, but not so bad with the target hammer on the 14.  
  Steve, your revolver is especially desirable in what model and condition it is, very nice. I bet it will go for your asking price if not some more, good luck to you.
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B on 4/8/2018, 8:47 am

willnewton wrote:Mmmmm, yep there is a bid on it!

All our opinions on pricing aside, why would you bid $1200 minimum and not just push the button to Buy it Now for the $1200 asking price?

Did the buyer just shoot himself in the foot?  Will there be more bids?  Tune in for the adventure!  Smile

I have spent even more time looking up this revolver.  My reading suggests that SW only made maybe 2000 of these full lug models in the 1990’s.  This is also the last model with no MIM parts before they started adding a few late in the 14-6 production.  I still have not found a single other full lug in this model currently for sale.

Congrats on the bid Steve, I am a bit jealous that someone will getting this nice pistol, but money talks and BS walks!
There wasn't a Buy Now on the listing.

How many 14-6 models were manufactured?  I've got one and am curious about the MIM parts...

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B on 4/8/2018, 8:50 am

chopper wrote:I just sold one of my 686 Smiths and bought a beautiful 6" 14-4 Smith yesterday for $607. It's what I've been looking for a while, as I would like to try DR also. My hand and thumb have a tough time thumbing the hammer on a 686, but not so bad with the target hammer on the 14.  
  Steve, your revolver is especially desirable in what model and condition it is, very nice. I bet it will go for your asking price if not some more, good luck to you.
Stan

I struggled with that also and decided to shoot TF and RF in double action.  The first shot was always SA then DA for the last 4 shots.
This gun has a really smooth DA, only needs a spring kit to lighten the heavy pull.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV on 4/8/2018, 9:36 am

Steve: Is your 14-6 square butt or round butt? Mine is round butt. That was a big surprise to me when I bought it. Ignition parts are perfect (no mim) The 14-8 also in this picture had mim parts in it when purchased new. They didn't stay in there long.

LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B on 4/8/2018, 10:10 am

LenV wrote:Steve: Is your 14-6 square butt or round butt? Mine is round butt. That was a big surprise to me when I bought it. Ignition parts are perfect (no mim) The 14-8 also in this picture had mim parts in it when purchased new. They didn't stay in there long.

Love those grips!  Sadly, Nill is slowly removing stippling from all their grips, switching over to rhomlas.
My 14-6 is a round butt.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper on 4/8/2018, 10:34 am

Len, now that I have a model 14 want to try those Nills. What is the difference between Stippling and Rhomulas ?
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Aufidius on 4/8/2018, 3:22 pm

Maybe there is something special here, but the BB is my guide:

Aufidius

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X on 4/8/2018, 4:17 pm

I've been following this topic with a mixture of interest and amusement.  Funny how topics get started and then change.  But I'll put my 2 cents in during the commercial break from the Masters.....

You'd be surprised how far the BB is from being in touch with the actual market sometimes.  

Try finding a full lug model 14, 17 and especially 16 with TT & TH from this particular series.  You will search pretty long to find them in good shape and with the factory box, etc. 

(Yes, I have all three and the Model 14 was tuned up by Jerry Keefer, with his notes and test targets, numbered cylinders and marked best cylinder, etc.  I had planned to have him do the other two but, well that time has passed and I really don't have the heart to let anyone else work on the other two right now.)  

So, sometimes going by the BB, or passing up what looks like a way overpriced item, or just waiting because you can probably do it later; may not work out the best in the long run.  Just decide which you really want and remember that sometimes "having" beats "wanting" and sometimes it doesn't.  But you can always replace "having" with "selling".

Just have fun and be kind to each other.

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Aufidius on 4/8/2018, 4:43 pm

CR10X wrote:I've been following this topic with a mixture of interest and amusement.  Funny how topics get started and then change.  But I'll put my 2 cents in during the commercial break from the Masters.....

You'd be surprised how far the BB is from being in touch with the actual market sometimes.  

Try finding a full lug model 14, 17 and especially 16 with TT & TH from this particular series.  You will search pretty long to find them in good shape and with the factory box, etc. 

(Yes, I have all three and the Model 14 was tuned up by Jerry Keefer, with his notes and test targets, numbered cylinders and marked best cylinder, etc.  I had planned to have him do the other two but, well that time has passed and I really don't have the heart to let anyone else work on the other two right now.)  

So, sometimes going by the BB, or passing up what looks like a way overpriced item, or just waiting because you can probably do it later; may not work out the best in the long run.  Just decide which you really want and remember that sometimes "having" beats "wanting" and sometimes it doesn't.  But you can always replace "having" with "selling".

Just have fun and be kind to each other.

CR
Of course the BB can be out of touch, and sure there are specialty items that are "wants" instead of "needs," that's not really the issue. If someone wants to purchase what seems, at least by the forum input, to be mis-priced AND looks like it in a BB, then hey, good luck to the seller.

I don't find BB to be out of touch by half- but sounds like you do. Great on you! I hope you pick the good stocks and guns and sell low and buy high- or whatever.  lol!

That said, it might be beneficial to institute a rule so people don't get their feelings hurt when they are price gouging, ahem, seeing what the market will bear. It would do more good than opinion masked as fact, and would keep skirmishes low(er).

Aufidius

Back to top Go down

Post by lyman1903 on 4/8/2018, 5:48 pm

I sold a 14-5 about 6 months ago for $1200
combats, and no box, otherwise like new

and had to answer about 100 questions about it on gunbroker,

they are sought after by the collectors,

the one posted above for almost $800 was a good buy, had I seen it I would have bought it and flipped it,

lyman1903

http://www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B on 4/8/2018, 5:51 pm

lyman1903 wrote:I sold a 14-5 about 6 months ago for $1200
combats, and no box, otherwise like new

and had to answer about 100 questions about it on gunbroker,

they are sought after by the collectors,

the one posted above for almost $800 was a good buy, had I seen it I would have bought it and flipped it,
Me too!

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV on 4/8/2018, 6:54 pm

I HAVE OWNED ALL 3 SERIES. INCLUDING 2 OF THE ORIGINAL 10 THAT WERE PRODUCED. THE FIRST 10 WERE MARKED 1 OF 10 O'HERRONS. OUT THE DOOR TAX INCLUDED $291 AND CHANGE. O'HERRONS IS A LARGE POLICE SUPPLY HOUSE IN DANVILLE IL.

S&W ALSO MADE 100 OR SO FULL LUG 4" MODELS. AND 2 OR 3  THAT WERE 2.75". THE 4" AND 2.75" AND WERE MADE FOR ROPER POLICE SUPPLY. ROPER TOOK ORDERS FOR THE 2.75" AND THERE WASN'T ENOUGH INTEREST TO MAKE A PRODUCTION RUN . THEY WERE SOLD AT THE NATIONAL POLICE SHOOTING CHAMPIONSHIP  IN JACKSON MISSISSIPPI.

THE LAST SERIES THE 14-7 HAD THE FRAME MOUNTED FIRING PIN . THEY SHOT VERY GOOD FROM THE RANSOM REST AT 50 YDS.  BUT WHEN THEY FIRST CAME OUT PISTOL GUYS HAD A HARD TIME DOING THE ACTIONS AS THEY WERE PRONE TO LIGHT HITS WITH THE STANDARD TRIGGER WORK BEING DONE. AFTER THE INTRODUCTION OF THE LONG FRAME MOUNTED FIRING PIN FROM THE AFTERMARKET SIDE THEY WERE WIDELY ACCEPTED.

4" COST A BUNCH OF MONEY I MEAN A BUNCH. YOU'LL NEVER FIND A 2.75" PERIOD.

ACCORDING TO MY BUDDIE AT THE S&W PERFORMANCE CENTER THEY MADE 3 BARRELS IN 2.75" .  1 GUN FOR ROPER FOR DISPLAY, ANOTHER WAS MADE BY MY BUDDIE AT THE PERFORMANCE CENTER (I KNOW WHERE THAT ONE IS). WHERE THE OTHER COMPLETE GUN (ROPERS DISPLAY) AND LAST BARREL ARE IS UNKNOWN. I KNOW 2 COLLECTORS WHO WILL PAY AT LEAST 4K FOR THE 2.75". JP

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum