Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S&W Model 41 Trigger Overtravel Adjustment

2 posters

Go down

S&W Model 41 Trigger Overtravel Adjustment Empty S&W Model 41 Trigger Overtravel Adjustment

Post by mikemyers Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:34 pm

Since 1980, I've had the same S&W Model 41, and other than adding a Clark barrel so I could put on a red-dot sight, I haven't done much to the gun other than cleaning.  

After shooting the Model 52 for the past few weeks, when I went to shoot the Model 41 today, I felt the the trigger was going further back after the gun fired, but this might just be my imagination playing tricks on me.  I could post a photo of the last target of the day, 25 shots, but to me it just looks like a nice grouping that goes out to the 9 ring sometimes.  

I guess I've got three questions to ask:

How would I know if I need to adjust the trigger over travel?

If I do need to do so, how is it done?

And if I'm doing it, what is the proper point to leave it?

What I may have learned from reading some posts on the S&W forum, is that you open the trigger guard, use a hex wrench to screw "out" the small set screw shown in my photo.  Try to fire, and if the gun won't fire, screw it in some more.  Once the gun does fire, I assume you would screw it in just a little more, then leave it. 

(While my relative had the gun three years ago, he sent it off to S&W to get it checked out and cleaned.  As far as I know, they didn't do anything to it.)

S&W Model 41 Trigger Overtravel Adjustment Img_8410
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

S&W Model 41 Trigger Overtravel Adjustment Empty Please delete thread - answer found.

Post by mikemyers Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:43 pm

Oops, this thread can be deleted.  

I don't know why I don't find things until I've already asked elsewhere.   

I found a copy of the manual - everything is explained there.

[url=https://snwcdnprod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/owners-manuals/S%26W_Model_41_Pistol_Manual_07-15-2014 %281%29.pdf]https://snwcdnprod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/owners-manuals/S%26W_Model_41_Pistol_Manual_07-15-2014%20%281%29.pdf[/url]
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

S&W Model 41 Trigger Overtravel Adjustment Empty Re: S&W Model 41 Trigger Overtravel Adjustment

Post by gregbenner Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:52 pm

Why not just adjust same as the 52 since you like it better?

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

S&W Model 41 Trigger Overtravel Adjustment Empty Re: S&W Model 41 Trigger Overtravel Adjustment

Post by mikemyers Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:57 pm

Yep, now that I know how to do it, I will.  

I thought the Model 41 was fine, just the way it was.  Then I got spoiled with the Model 52.  That's what prompted my attempt to find something on line about it - I should have just gone right for the manual.....   me bad.

I'm not very good about stuff like this - I usually figure if it's working, don't mess with it.  Too much experience with making things worse, not better, because I didn't understand.  Now that I understand, I'll try to do what you suggested as soon as I get to the range. Thanks!
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down