Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shipping question

+4
Bullseye_Stan
Wobbley
JKR
John McCormick
8 posters

Go down

Shipping question Empty Shipping question

Post by John McCormick 5/1/2018, 10:40 am

I'm going to be sending a handgun frame out to an FFL holder for some work. I know I have to send it via common carrier, since I am not an FFL, and I know it's expensive because of those carriers' self-imposed rules, specifically, overnight shipping required. My question is this: what is the consensus here regarding insurance? Do these companies even pay out claims for lost or damaged items?

John McCormick

Back to top Go down

Shipping question Empty Re: Shipping question

Post by JKR 5/1/2018, 11:42 am

Just went through this with a wad gun shipped to KC. Ended up taking it to an FFL. With UPS it had to go overnight air and was crazy expensive. My FFlL sent it by USPS.

Jim

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 5/1/2018, 12:09 pm

https://support.shippingeasy.com/hc/en-us/articles/205492076-Shipping-firearms-rules-and-restrictions-with-USPS-UPS-and-FedEx
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye_Stan 5/1/2018, 12:14 pm

The next time I need to ship a handgun, I intent to try this service: https://www.shipmygun.com/go/

That option came from this thread, griping about UPS and related handgun shipping: https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t9387-the-intolerable-ripoff-that-ups-has-become

Bullseye_Stan

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 5/1/2018, 2:46 pm

I'm about to send my Marvel conversion and lower to Travis Frerking to see if he can work out some issues with the upper. He said since he is a manufacturer with an FFL I can ship it straight to him via UPS/Fedex ground, then he'll ship it back to me. Seems everyone says something different so I just ask the person with an FFL what to do, they should know what is correct.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by John McCormick 5/1/2018, 4:46 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty much up to date on how to get it there. But is it worth the money to insure the package, or is it nearly impossible, as some insist, to get the shipper to honor a claim in the event of theft or damage?

John McCormick

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans 5/1/2018, 5:51 pm

I’ve had good luck getting claims paid via US Postal Service. If I’m shipping a high dollar or valuable gun, the only way I would do it is via USPS Registered Mail. It’s a pain in the ass to deal with paper tape, but it’s the most secure method, allowing insurance up to $50k or $75k.  IIIRC, it’s locked separate from other mail while en route and must be signed for by every employee who handles the item, creating a chain of evidence. If it’s good enough for the U.S. government to send classified info (IIRC, mentioned in mail regs), it’s good enough for me. In addition, if your item is over a certain amount (I think around $800), it’s *cheaper* to send via Registered Mail instead of Priority +Insurance, and the savings climbs as the value climbs. Hard to beat cheaper and more secure than other alternatives.

For handguns, you will have to get your FFL to send for you. Under Federal law, long guns you can generally send yourself (but check your state and local laws).

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by John McCormick 5/1/2018, 7:24 pm

Thanks. I'll consider that.

John McCormick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Tiedt 5/1/2018, 8:49 pm

zanemoseley wrote:I'm about to send my Marvel conversion and lower to Travis Frerking to see if he can work out some issues with the upper. He said since he is a manufacturer with an FFL I can ship it straight to him via UPS/Fedex ground, then he'll ship it back to me. Seems everyone says something different so I just ask the person with an FFL what to do, they should know what is correct.

This is correct and legal, AND UPS/FedEx should ask you to see a copy of his FFL since he is the receiver
(verifying that the person receiving the gun is legally allowed to do so).  However, must counter folks don't
understand those rules and instead they will ask to see your FFL.

As others pointed out, an 01FFL holder can ship via USPS for much, much cheaper than FedEx or UPS.
However, then Travis will have to send the pistol back to your FFL, since that is who he received the pistol from.

Doug

Doug Tiedt

Back to top Go down

Post by lyman1903 5/2/2018, 10:10 am

John McCormick wrote:Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty much up to date on how to get it there. But is it worth the money to insure the package, or is it nearly impossible, as some insist, to get the shipper to honor a claim in the event of theft or damage?

USPS is good, I have had customers use it in the past,
just takes time,

UPS/Fedup I have never had to make a claim,
however have had to track a few that were lost in the system,

if you call FedEx and say your item is delayed or stuck somewhere in the system, they don't really care,
call them and say your missing item is a firearm, and they jump thru hoops to find it, and will find it inside of 24hrs,  (had that happened a couple times)
lyman1903
lyman1903

http://www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lyman1903 5/2/2018, 10:22 am

one thing,,

keep in mind that UPS stores are franchises, and not UPS hubs or centers,

if you go UPS, you will need to go to the hub,  the stores will be a nightmare to deal with re firearms and ammo

I think FedEx will ship from a store or kinkos center, but not certain,
around here the FedEx hubs are look like a prison, concertina wire and all, and no public access

either way you go, you can generate postage label online , and just drop off if needed
lyman1903
lyman1903

http://www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down