Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hand, vs hands

+7
willnewton
apipeguy
Amati
Magload
VNK971
gregbenner
mikemyers
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Hand, vs hands - Page 2 Empty Hand, vs hands

Post by mikemyers Sun 6 May - 10:28

First topic message reminder :

I had a totally free night last night, and started dry firing with both my Model 52, and then my Salyer, switching back and forth between one hand shooting and two hands (which is what I've done since the 1970's).

The best thing about two hands, is with both of them supporting the weight of the gun, my muscles had an easier time of holding the gun reasonably still.

The best thing about one hand, was that the hand gripped the gun much more naturally, with all the fingers naturally going to what felt like the perfect place.  I was surprised at how good it felt, first with the Model 52, and then with the Salyer.  It felt like the gun was designed to be gripped with one hand, and when I used two, the second hand never really fit "naturally".  The second hand is referred to as the "support" hand, which means it's helping holding the gun, but it doesn't feel like it's helping to aim the gun, maybe the opposite.

For those of you who switched from two to one, for Bullseye shooting, did you do it "cold turkey", or did you shoot on and off both ways for a while?  ...and I'm scared to even ask this, but how long did it take you until shooting one hand matched your previous ability using two?  Weeks?  Months?  Years?

(I'm leaving on a six-week trip to India, meaning no shooting.  I can practice holding my "simulated gun", wearing a wrist weight though.  If I'm going to go ahead and switch, I could use that time to build up the muscles in my right arm and hand....)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Hand, vs hands - Page 2 Empty Re: Hand, vs hands

Post by chopper Sat 2 Jun - 11:19

Mike do a search on this forum, Keith Sandersons holding excersises, it'll refer to a you tube video. This is the best I've tried so far. 
 I use a Gripmaster gripping tool because you can isolate your fingers, don't start with the red one. I would start with their lightest one, for me more repetitions give a better base to start with. www.prohands.net
 I use a one of those gyroscopic "Powerball" once in a while www.powerballs.com
 Be careful when using Gripmaster and the Powerball, you can overdo it and your forearm with be sore and you won't be able to do anything for a while. I basically do Sandersons method and squeeze hard, you'll get grip strength and hold be able to hold pretty steady after a week.
 Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Sat 2 Jun - 11:21

Mike do a search on this forum, Keith Sandersons holding excersises, it'll refer to a you tube video. This is the best I've tried so far. 
 I use a Gripmaster gripping tool because you can isolate your fingers, don't start with the red one. I would start with their lightest one, for me more repetitions give a better base to start with. www.prohands.net
 I use a one of those gyroscopic "Powerball" once in a while www.powerballs.com
 Be careful when using Gripmaster and the Powerball, you can overdo it and your forearm with be sore and you won't be able to do anything for a while. I basically do Sandersons method and squeeze hard, you'll get grip strength and hold be able to hold pretty steady after a week.
 Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2